INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiencing Repetitive Hang Up Of JRiver  (Read 3217 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Experiencing Repetitive Hang Up Of JRiver
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »

I'm suddenly having a recurring issue with JRiver "hanging up". It has happened once or twice a day for several days. Whether I am playing back an album or shuffle on from a Smart List after playing for some time JRiver will just stop playing in the middle of a song as if paused. If I take any action to hit Stop, Play, Refresh etc the little spinning beach ball will appear and I cannot take any other action than to Force Quit JRiver. Once I relaunch everything seems fine and I can resume playback. I'm on the latest version of JRiver and Yosemite. It has seemed to appear as a problem out of the blue. I haven't made any recent changes to my system.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Experiencing Repetitive Hang Up Of JRiver
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:03 pm »

Is it playing from a local drive?

Has anything changed on your machine?

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:42:43 pm »

Yes, it is playing on a local drive. I have changed the FireWire cables (Audioquest) that are connected between the two HDD library and back up drive) and the USB cable (Shunyata)from my Mac Mini to DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

Try disconnecting any external drives.  Or are those all internal?

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »

I'm not sure I understand. If I was to disconnect my external drive which houses my library files how would anything playback?  Or are you just suggesting I temporarily shut the external drives down and then restart. I appreciate the help.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:22:53 am »

I have the same issue with the same set-up (Yosemite...). I have to kill MC and restart the DLNA renderer too.

I read file on a outside NAS.

There are also issues with outside drive. Typically I need to go to Finder first to click on my NAS drive to make sure MC can read it.... Then I start MC.
MC cannot read on a outside drive without having it opened on Finder first in my case; this may lead to some issues if the price is briefly disconnected... Would it be possible to have that issue fixed so that MC can read on a NAS drive without having to go to finder first ?

Also why is the MC icon sometimes randomly appearing and disappearing on the right side of the toolbar? I have reported that already but it has not been fixed.

Thanks

philoouu

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 03:54:56 am »

Actually force kill would not even kill the application. I could not restart the Mac; I had to shut it down physically and then restart it...
What is going on here ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:26 am »

I'm not sure I understand. If I was to disconnect my external drive which houses my library files how would anything playback?  Or are you just suggesting I temporarily shut the external drives down and then restart. I appreciate the help.

He's suggesting that you disconnect external drives and try playing back a file from an internal drive to see if you have the same problems (as a diagnostic step).  External harddrives are usually significantly slower than internal drives and sometimes behave a little strangely which can cause hangs.  Additioanlly sometimes external harddrives manage power very aggressively in a way that requires them to spin up everytime they're accessed (which can also cause programs accessing files on them to hang).  Jim's just trying to isolate the problem.  In that vein:   

Have you tried working through the troubleshooting guide? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide.  It's solved more than a few problems I've had, it's quite compehensive 

Because folks frequently have trouble with external disks, there is also a specific sub-page on troubleshooting external drives (network or direct connect) http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Network_and_Slow_Storage.

There are also issues with outside drive. Typically I need to go to Finder first to click on my NAS drive to make sure MC can read it.... Then I start MC.
MC cannot read on a outside drive without having it opened on Finder first in my case; this may lead to some issues if the price is briefly disconnected... Would it be possible to have that issue fixed so that MC can read on a NAS drive without having to go to finder first ?

This sounds like your NAS share is not being mounted correctly on boot (i.e you have it set to mount on first access, rather than at boottime).  I'm not a mac person, but I can get the exact same behavior you describe in Linux by socket-mounting my NAS share instead of forcing it to mount at boot.  Just a hunch, but you might want to have a look at how the share is mounted and try reconfiguring. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:46 am »

Actually force kill would not even kill the application. I could not restart the Mac; I had to shut it down physically and then restart it...
What is going on here ?
That sounds like a problem at the OS or hardware level.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:10 am »

This sounds like your NAS share is not being mounted correctly on boot (i.e you have it set to mount on first access, rather than at boottime).  I'm not a mac person, but I can get the exact same behavior you describe in Linux by socket-mounting my NAS share instead of forcing it to mount at boot.  Just a hunch, but you might want to have a look at how the share is mounted and try reconfiguring.  

Thanks
I just forced it at login. Hope it will be OK also after stand by and sleeping mode...
Let us see if that solved the problem.
Regards
philoouu

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 07:44:05 am »

That sounds like a problem at the OS or hardware level.
Yes it does.
I will go from 20.0.40 to 20.0.45 to see if it changes anything.
In the past (even with MC 19) I had sometimes to restart the renderer or MC when the music stops randomly; it happened once a month at the most so I did not really bother. When the computer is very busy (Time Machine verify process) there are some interruptions but after a few seconds it comes back normally, so again nothing to worry about.
But this time, the music seems to stop more often and I never had issues where I could not kill MC, and then could not restart the Mac otherwise than with a physical shutdown.
Otherwise why is this icon appearing and disappearing on the right side of the toolbar ?
Regards
philoouu

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 08:15:58 am »

I have the same issue with the same set-up (Yosemite...). I have to kill MC and restart the DLNA renderer too.

I read file on a outside NAS.

Also why is the MC icon sometimes randomly appearing and disappearing on the right side of the toolbar? I have reported that already but it has not been fixed.

Thanks

philoouu

Prior to launching MC I alway go to Finder to access/launch the drive. My issue is simply a complete stoppage of playback in the middle of a song as if it were paused. If I try to take any action within MC the "spinning beach ball" appears and the only corrective action I can take is to Force Quit MC.

Usually I only notice the external drive spinning up at start up but really don't notice other wise. I will keep an eye on this though.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 08:22:42 am »

Prior to launching MC I alway go to Finder to access/launch the drive. My issue is simply a complete stoppage of playback in the middle of a song as if it were paused. If I try to take any action within MC the "spinning beach ball" appears and the only corrective action I can take is to Force Quit MC.

It looks similar to the issues I have but sometimes after the playback stops I can quit MC normally, sometimes I have use Force Quit and sometimes even Force Quit does not work. Usually I have to reboot the renderer too as MC cannot communicate with it anymore.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 08:21:05 am »

I'm suddenly having a recurring issue with JRiver "hanging up". It has happened once or twice a day for several days. Whether I am playing back an album or shuffle on from a Smart List after playing for some time JRiver will just stop playing in the middle of a song as if paused. If I take any action to hit Stop, Play, Refresh etc the little spinning beach ball will appear and I cannot take any other action than to Force Quit JRiver. Once I relaunch everything seems fine and I can resume playback. I'm on the latest version of JRiver and Yosemite. It has seemed to appear as a problem out of the blue. I haven't made any recent changes to my system.

HI Mike - I have been getting this recently as well, though for me it seems to hang up if any system alert goes off, like a software update or a push notification. Usually about once per week for the past four weeks. This machine is on Mavericks, but can be upgraded to Yosemite if you feel that is an issue. I don't think it is relevant, as I see the same behavior on the upstairs machine which is running Yosemite.

I turned MC Logging on Monday Evening, and after restarting MC from a crash this morning, it reported that logging was turned off and I could not find a crash file. Therefore, I am attaching the native crash results from MacOS to this message.   Jim/Matt, if it is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Note, whatever is happening causes MC to go into a hang, which is probably preventing you from writing the log file... just a cursory glance from me this morning, it looks a little like a semaphore hang. Perhaps from a database update of some kind?

Pages: [1]   Go Up