INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel scanning question  (Read 1581 times)

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Channel scanning question
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »

I have a strange situation here in North Devon (South west UK) in that my TV antenna is able to pick up from two 'competing' signals and if I just do a scan, I will end up with 2 or sometimes 4 of some channels.

On my TV and in WMC, I am able to get round this by starting the scan with the antenna cable removed and inserting it once the scan has gone past the offending signal range (I'm lucky as the 'bad' signals are all at the beginning of the frequency 'channels').

My problem with JMC is that I just don't know where the scan is when it is scanning. It states '1 out of 50' and so on but what does this relate to?  In the UK the TV frequencies are on 'channels' 21 through 69 which is roughly 470-860MHz.  Is there a way of restricting the scanning frequency as I know all the TV stations I need are on 'channels' 45 on (roughly 650MHz)

I use the 'Freeview' system which is DVB-T

I hope I have explained that right!
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Channel scanning question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

I believe the "1 of 50" means that JRiver has detected 50 possible channels and it is currently scanning the first channel. It's not referring to the channel "number".  I see this on my scans too (I get 68 OTA Channels) and it takes a while for the scan to complete. After the scan, you can load the program guide - and you can also remove (or hide) and channels you don't want.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »

"# of 50" refers to the frequency entries in the file "[MC installation folder]\TV\DVB Frequencies.xml".  Open the file and find United Kingdom.

You do not need to do it that way.  You can let MC pick up all channels that can be picked up, and then use channel editing tool to hide those channels that you do not want.

Tools > Options > Television > Advanced > Edit channel list...

Select all channels that you do not need, and click "Hide" button.  Note that it is recommended that you use "Hide" button instead of "Delete" button.  If for some reason you need to re-run channel scanning (for example, a new channel comes along), all the deleted channels will be picked up again, and you will have to delete them again.  With hiding, the unwanted channels will still be picked up during re-scan, but they will remain hidden (unless the channel parameters have changed, in which case they may be picked up as new channels).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:57:15 pm »

Thanks a lot, that helped me get my head round it!  I was thinking it was like my TV which gets all screwy as you can't 'edit' the channels - I forgot I was using a computer for a while!!
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself
Pages: [1]   Go Up