INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add Media Sub Types?  (Read 19274 times)

kogami

• Recent member
Add Media Sub Types?
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:40 pm »

Hi,

I have a collection of videos like tutorials, debates, lectures, and I would like to add those categories under "Media Sub Types" but every time I attempt to do so, JRM has difficulty accepting the new category. Any ideas?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Add Media Sub Types?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »

hello

are you trying to set a sub type tag?

edit: dha me...of course you are

edit: I just tried to add my own and you are right, you must choose whats available..maybe Matt will take pity on you and add a few new ones....GL
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

kogami

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »

If Matt the almighty would add an interface for creating new tags manually, that would be sublime.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:57:16 pm »

Maybe if u send him a big  ;D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:03:48 am »

Could you just enter "Tutorial" or "Lecture" in the "Series" field and build your sort/grouping with that? In media sub type "Video" the Series, Season, Episode fields are not used (they are only used for media sub type TV Show) so you can do a lot of grouping and sorting using these fields within Video subtype category.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43:36 am »

We have a fixed list of sub types.  We can add more if there's consensus.

In this case, Educational seems like it would cover you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kogami

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »

How do I add different views from the panel on the left hand side that lists options like Home Videos, Movies, Shows, etc?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:53:59 pm »

Right click on the video tree, add view

When making the view, display ONLY [media sub type] IS [home video].  Name the view Home Video, and move with drag and drop wherever you like in the tree itself.  Do the same for the others

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:56:34 pm »

Please add media subtype "Home Audio".  I have a lot of old home audio recordings and this will help setup the views.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:08 am »

I would like to see Vinyl as a media subtype, for my digitized vinyls.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:58 am »

If any of the suggestions above get two +1 votes, we'll consider them.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:20 am »

I would like to see Vinyl as a media subtype, for my digitized vinyls.

The media subtype should describe the media itself, not its source. I would recommend to simply use another tag for this, maybe simply add Vinyl to the "Keywords" or something.

In general, Media Subtype is also not a replacement for "Genre", which can also be used to categorize your media. And since MC views are entirely flexible, you can also create views that show categories based on any tag you want, you don't necessarily need new very specific option in the Media Subtype list, you can use more appropriate fields for that, or in very specific cases even create your own if need be.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:31:24 pm »

The media subtype should describe the media itself, not its source. I would recommend to simply use another tag for this, maybe simply add Vinyl to the "Keywords" or something.

In general, Media Subtype is also not a replacement for "Genre", which can also be used to categorize your media. And since MC views are entirely flexible, you can also create views that show categories based on any tag you want, you don't necessarily need new very specific option in the Media Subtype list, you can use more appropriate fields for that, or in very specific cases even create your own if need be.

I am just trying to avoid creating yet another tag. If Sub-Media were user definable it would help.  To me, sub-media seems more appropriate for vinyl that any of the other tags. It is not a big deal, but it would be nice if sub-media was user definable. I will probably never use any of the current sub-media types.  I already have a view for vinyl and a way to show it in other views,  but it would be cleaner if I could use an existing tag, that's all. Also, I do not see vinyl as a genre.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

I am just trying to avoid creating yet another tag. If Sub-Media were user definable it would help.  To me, sub-media seems more appropriate for vinyl that any of the other tags. It is not a big deal, but it would be nice if sub-media was user definable. I will probably never use any of the current sub-media types.  I already have a view for vinyl and a way to show it in other views,  but it would be cleaner if I could use an existing tag, that's all. Also, I do not see vinyl as a genre.

i personally don't want them to alter the media sub type...the smaller the list the better IMO.  the sub type is a very broad descriptor (Music) where vinyl is a much more specific thing and should be elsewhere....my thoughts anyways.

making tags is one of the best features of the software, i think people should be more inclined to use it....

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »

I might have the following in my library of the same album: 
CD's from different record labels
SACD rip
Vinyl needle drop
HiRez download (I even have duplicate albums/songs with different sample rates)

I use the Publisher Tag to enter this data. Then I add Publisher as a Category in my Views. If I click on an album with more than one Publisher, it will drill down and show me all the variations of the album.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »

i use [publisher] for label, and made a handful of custom tags ([source],[remaster],[quality],etc) for all of the secondary info.  some are calculated tags and some are checkbox tags for easy tagging. 

all the tags can be written to .cue or whatever and most are viewable in any program that supports full tag viewing, so i don't really understand the seeming reluctance of people to use custom tags.  it's a serious feature!

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

I created a tag called "Source" to use for documenting the original physical or digital media type (CD, SACD, Vinyl, Cassette, Bluray, 8mm, etc.).  Other software uses a Source tag for this purpose as well.

In support of my request to add "Home Audio" as a media subtype, I think it is valid for the same reasons that "Home Video" is.  It is not a genre, but a subtype of Audio.  Multiple genres may fall under a Home Audio subtype, such as Family, Interview, Record Keeping, Recitals, Journal, and so on.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 03:42:10 pm »

So what is the objection to allowing user additions to Media Subtype? Why is it a restricted field? Honestly, there is not one subtype that I am likely to use.

Live mohave I have CDs, HiRez, Vinyl, DVD-A, etc. To me Media Subtype is more natural than Publisher for that information. I will probably just create a field Media Subtype Audio and populate that.

I have plenty of user defined tags and base multiple views (18 currently) upon them. I am just trying to keep the number of tags down. Seems like there are too many already, some very specific. I hide a lot of those I do not want to see when tagging, but you still them when building smartlists, etc.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »

Media Subtype is a general category, like "Music" (in contrast to audio books, etc), which I presume your content is. Other fine-grained categorization is not designed for Media Subtype.
Like others and myself mentioned, you can just create your own field for your own categories which behaves just the same as any built-in field.

The reason Media Subtype is restricted is that it also has technical implications on MCs behaviour for some of the subtypes, which requires to have a fixed list.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »

Media Subtype is a general category, like "Music" (in contrast to audio books, etc), which I presume your content is. Other fine-grained categorization is not designed for Media Subtype.

Hendrick - what is the rational for having Media Subtype locked from the user changing it?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

Hendrick - what is the rational for having Media Subtype locked from the user changing it?

He just told you:

Quote from: Hendrik
The reason Media Subtype is restricted is that it also has technical implications on MCs behaviour for some of the subtypes, which requires to have a fixed list.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »

He just told you:

Sorry, I am just not familiar with anything that requires this as a fixed field. Can you give me an example?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:32 pm »

He just told you:

I think Hendrick's and my comments somehow crossed. I did a direct quote of his comment and did not delete anything. I think he might have added to it while I was typing. Sorry if there was any confusion. Honestly, I am just trying to understand this field, since I have tried to use it in the past, with no success.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

Sorry, I am just not familiar with anything that requires this as a fixed field. Can you give me an example?

Here is a longer explanation from 2007 (seems like just the other day  ;D):

The idea behind MST is to provide MC with additional information for how to treat certain types of content without using hidden, black magic rules or sacrificing the Genre tag. We want the user to be able to identify content as an audiobook and still be able to specify the Genre that the book belongs to.

The MST is certainly used when transferring content to handhelds (particularly iPod's) but is also used by MC internally (to determine bookmarking, for instance). It is not our intention to use this field as a mechanism for general content organization.

Content that is Comedy or Personal requires no special handling from MC (or handhelds) so these types of tags may best be left to fields like Genre and/or Keywords. Text that is a book vs. an IRS audit notice also requires no special handling by MC.

Years ago MC (or MJ) included (nestable) 'Categories' as an organizational mechanism but users were confused by how to use these and weren't sure what the difference between a category, a genre and a playlist was. So you may want to also try to pull off the organization you're looking for with playlists and playlist groups.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 06:16:52 pm »

Here is a longer explanation from 2007 (seems like just the other day  ;D):

Thanks. That helps a lot. As an audio guy, I just never see it used. As I said, it is not a big deal - I can add a custom field. Just trying to understand. Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

Just a note that I'm still listening if any suggestion gets two +1 votes.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 05:21:09 am »

I would like to add my Vote. +1

I have not been able to accomplish what I want for my Documentaries (Educational) movies/shows by putting them under the Movie media sub type and using the series, season, episode fields for sorting and grouping.

* If you are to add an media sub type "Educational" or such, please give it the same features/sort-capabilities as "TV Series" media sub type with regards to how it uses Cover Art, Series Art, etc.

Actually most of my history collection are from TV shows (PBS, History Channel, etc.) so it would be desirable if the new "Educational" media sub type also acted like a TV Show for getting its metadata and cover art ("get Movie and TV Info").

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 11:52:05 am »

* If you are to add an media sub type "Educational" or such

"Educational" is already a media sub type.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 12:16:49 pm »

Oops (I didn't look first).  ;D
Then I retract my vote and will save it for something else.  ::)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »

Oops (I didn't look first).  ;D
Then I retract my vote and will save it for something else.  ::)

Nope, you used your vote up.  Wish fulfilled (two years ago):

18.0.61 (10/24/2012)
Changed: Added the media sub types: Music, Ringtone, Educational, Stock, System, Photo, Book.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »

I have a couple of types of audio files that don't seem to fit into any of the existing media subtypes:

- Voice memos recorded on my phone
- Natural/ambient sounds used for white noise (ocean waves, rain, etc.)
- Stand up comedy
- Spoken interludes between songs on an album (e.g., clips of movie dialog included on soundtrack albums)

I'm a brand new JRiver user, so I might have missed something. Is there more intuitive way to separate these from the music? Or would you consider adding these subtypes?

Your best bet at current is to use genre to further categorize these items.  If you already have a genre scheme for these, use a different field or add a custom field.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »

I have a couple of types of audio files that don't seem to fit into any of the existing media subtypes:

- Voice memos recorded on my phone

+1

But call it "notes" or "memos" so that it can be used more generically than just for "voice" memos.  I've been known to save video memos to myself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:20 pm »

I've been known to save video memos to myself.

"Get your a$s to Mars"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dW9pUA1BI

RoninXIII

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 12:09:06 am »

Any chance getting "Special Interests" "Self-Defense" and "Fitness & Exercise"? I love this program but would really like to create my own sub types

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:42 am »

Any chance getting "Special Interests" "Self-Defense" and "Fitness & Exercise"? I love this program but would really like to create my own sub types

Subtype is not meant to be a replacement for Genre. Sounds like you want Genre for these, with Educational subtype, or similar.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoninXIII

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

Thank you for getting back with me.
I figured as much but I thought I'd ask. I am new to this software still feeling my way around and it is awesome.

StarVector11

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2019, 08:23:22 pm »

I would like to encourage JR to please allow us to configure the data array available to the 'Media Sub Type' field.

Please allow us to at least add extra unique strings to the available list, and even better, allow us to remove/edit existing entries.

Let me point out that JR rightfully uses terms such as 'Audio', 'Images', and 'Video' - thank you, and I hope that you do not deviate from this convention.

'Genre' - today controlled by media databases - continues to be useful for organizing a portion of 'Audio', namely the 'Music' portion. I am afraid that 'Genre' is not an acceptable option for organizing the top level of 'Audio' media.

But JR should recognize that the ideal field for organizing all this media at the top level requires flexibility - enter the 'Media Sub Type' field. The day I discovered this field I was in fact annoyed that JR did not suggest it in its tips or Help. Thank you for providing the data that is already included in this field.

I have file and folder structures that are mandated by very common terms (take 'Education'). But it is not the same as 'Educational', and so now I have to script in exceptions because JR is the only non-flexible node in this process.

Please allow us to at least add extra unique strings to the available list, and even better, allow us to remove/edit existing entries.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 04:52:44 am »

Media Sub Type has an effect on behavior, which is why its a fixed list.

If you need your own flexible category system, I would strongly recommend to simply create your own field. This is where MC is very strong, you can define your own metadata in your own fields, and group arbitrarily over those. There is no reason for you to use Media Sub Type to group your media - other then setting it to proper values so that the behavior is correct.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up