INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Multiple artists" v "Various artists" ?  (Read 1267 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
"Multiple artists" v "Various artists" ?
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »

Why would 2 very similar albums be saved to different subfolders?... one to "(Multiple artists)"'and the other to "Various Artists"?? Both were selected to be moved at the same time.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: "Multiple artists" v "Various artists" ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:03:01 pm »

well i know its the tag -Album Artists-...now i also know that MC uses the -Multiple Artists- tag and I know that WMP uses the -Various Artists- tag when a cd is ripped...for me i had thousands and thousands ripped with the Various Artists tag and so i just continue to use it.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

shAf

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

...for me i had thousands and thousands ripped with the Various Artists tag and so i just continue to use it.

... except the 2 albums I was speaking of were ripped virtually identical, except for being different volumes, both with a variety of artists (i.e., no dominant artist), yet one went to 'Various Artists' and the other to '(Multiple Artists)'.  I suppose it shall remain a mystery ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:57 am »

Just a guess but are you using the album artist (auto) field?. There is a flag in the config on that to set to Multiple Artists. Autotagging from the web though more often than not will just tag "Various Artist" that could explain why you have the two

I have always used Various Artists personally too .. I tag Album artist directly to the Album artist field during the rip or shortly there after not the album artist (auto field)  -- you can do whatever you want or call a compilation zMisc. or what ever you want. But if you are consistant it will sort itself out. The Album Artist (auto field) will auto-populate the Album Artist field and vice versa. The (auto field) will fill itself out automatically if configured to do so. Your choice

If I have confused you read this http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

What I would do is just select all the tracks in the whatever you do not want to use. And in the tag window, [Album Artist] field just choose the value you want to use ... if needed use the remove/rename/copy tool to consolidate the on your hard drive.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:06 pm »

@Arindelle, I like your methods  :)
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up