INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic NAS/networking question  (Read 1616 times)

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
Basic NAS/networking question
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:00:35 pm »

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a 16TB WD MyCloud EX4, on which I store my lossless FLAC files, which are then accessed by my Win7/JRMC20 music server via a wired Ethernet connection that is attached to my ASUS RT-AC66U router. I would appreciate the community's input on NAS/router/Win7/JRMC20 settings that will maximize performance of this setup. I apologize for the simplicity/ignorance of my question and am happy to be redirected to any other forum post(s) that may address this question. Also, as someone interested in understanding how all of these pieces work, any websites or publications that folks know of that could better educate me on this topic would also be appreciated.

Best regards,
Tim

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Basic NAS/networking question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:13 pm »

Not sure what you are looking for here.  It should 'just work' unless you have some very specific needs.  Sending audio across the network is pretty low bandwidth, especially if everything is wired.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:52:24 pm »

Thank you for your reply. Since upgrading to JRMC20, I've noticed more buffering during playback than I used to experience, which I attributed to my NAS/network, based on comments Jim has made on other threads and the lack of any hardware changes. As such, I wanted to ensure that I've ticked/unticked all the right boxes in MC, Windows 7, and on the interfaces for my router and NAS. I'm pretty comfortable with the first two, but not so much so with many of the network protocol tabs in the latter two devices. Does that make sense?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:40 am »

Check this link out:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Network_and_Slow_Storage

I am not familiar with that NAS unit, but a quick look on Amazon shows a lot of complaints about performance.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:08:35 am »

I'll check out that link. Thanks again for your help.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up