INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I initate 3D playback from JRiver  (Read 7511 times)

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
How can I initate 3D playback from JRiver
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »

Hi

I use two methods to playback 3D Blue-Ray movies today:
1) Insert the Blu-ray, start Total Media Theater 6*, select the inserted DVD and start playback
2) Insert the Blu-ray, rip a backup to .iso, mount the .iso manually and then play back the iso from Total Media Theater 6
I'm using AnyDvdHD to remove copy protection and rip the backup file.
I'm using Virtual Clone Drive to mount.

Ideally I would liked to playback the 3D movies directly from JRiver, but that is still not supported as far as I understand (Shame on you JRiver...).

But I have noticed that JRiver claims to have some the possibility to start an external player based on filetype.
My question is:
- Can I get this to work when my BluRays are ripped to .iso files?
- Can I get this to work using Total Media Theater? If not, what player can I use that is known to work?

I'm currently using JRiver 18 - as I so far have not seen anyting in neither 19 or 20 that has much value for me. I also find myself moving more and more to streaming services, causing JRiver to be less and less used...
Knowing that I would be able to browse all ripped movies in JRiver, and start both regular and 3D movies directly from there would be a good initiative to upgrade!

* TMT seems to be at End Of Life...

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:31 am »

I use Stereoscopic Player and rip my movies to mvc encoded mkv files using makemkv. Finally I rename the filetype from mkv to mk3d. Within JRiver I have the mk3d filetype set to play using stereoscopic player.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I initate 3D playback from JRiver
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:18:38 pm »

Can you use LAV filters (and thus lossless sound) with stereoscopic player?
If so, I may follow your route too.

yoyo09

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:44 am »

Yes you can use Lav filters. I'm doing exactly the same thing.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:28:37 pm »

Thank you. I may eventually have to buy Stereoscopic player and go this route.

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 04:30:43 pm »

I use two methods to playback 3D Blue-Ray movies today:
1) Insert the Blu-ray, start Total Media Theater 6*, select the inserted DVD and start playback
2) Insert the Blu-ray, rip a backup to .iso, mount the .iso manually and then play back the iso from Total Media Theater 6
- Can I get this to work when my BluRays are ripped to .iso files?
- Can I get this to work using Total Media Theater? If not, what player can I use that is known to work?

You can get TMT to launch your 3D ISO by changing the filetype tag from ISO in MC to bdmv3d and also setting the bdmv3d file type to open in TMT.
This is currently how I do it.  I use slysoft virtual drive to automount the ISO and I also have a script that changes my Nvidia video card to 3D framepacked mode and back again to normal when i exit from TMT.

I tried getting stereoscopic to do the same with recoded 3dmkv but it was unreliable for me last time I tried.
I'll give stereoscopic another try as it's certainly cleaner and quicker to start a 3D MKV than it is to mount a ISO with full menu navigation.

PS. you can also use the MC virtual sound card in MC20 to route audio from any external player through the MC audio engine to get lossless sound and MC20 processing.

You  may find some useful info here. My scripts are also in the thread > http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91168.0

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:55:34 am »

You can get TMT to launch your 3D ISO by changing the filetype tag from ISO in MC to bdmv3d and also setting the bdmv3d file type to open in TMT.
This is currently how I do it.  I use slysoft virtual drive to automount the ISO and I also have a script that changes my Nvidia video card to 3D framepacked mode and back again to normal when i exit from TMT.

I tried getting stereoscopic to do the same with recoded 3dmkv but it was unreliable for me last time I tried.
I'll give stereoscopic another try as it's certainly cleaner and quicker to start a 3D MKV than it is to mount a ISO with full menu navigation.

PS. you can also use the MC virtual sound card in MC20 to route audio from any external player through the MC audio engine to get lossless sound and MC20 processing.

You  may find some useful info here. My scripts are also in the thread > http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91168.0

Thanks
Can this be done in JR18, or must I have JR20?

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:16:04 pm »

OK, I almost figured it out.
I have set up JRiver to run a batch file that will start TMT in Windows Media Center mode. That part seems to be working fine.

However, I still have one problem.
As mentioned before, all my Blu-Ray movies are ripped as iso files. To play a blu-ray movie from JR, JR is set up to auto run when a blu-ray disk is inserted.
To view a 3D Blu-Ray movie I have to:
Mount the iso
Play the mounted iso in TMT.

My problem is that when the iso is mounted JR also starts playing the mouned iso, causing both JR and TMT to play the same iso (JR in 2D and TMT in 3D). That does of course not work very well.
If JR does not auto mount, regular Bly Ray movies will not play.
Any good ideas about how to solve this?

My current idea is to create another script that causes regular Blu Ray movies to be started in JR - but that seems a bit "off".
(and I will still have to figure out how that is done)

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 06:08:56 am »

Temporary solution for now is to use this script:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
@echo Starter TMT for avspilling av 3D film...
call MC20.exe /close
call %1
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\uMCEPlayer6.exe" J:
MC20.exe
Interested in other solutions if someone has an idea...

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:47:39 am »

Temporary solution for now is to use this script:
@echo off
@echo Starter TMT for avspilling av 3D film...
call MC20.exe /close
call %1
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\uMCEPlayer6.exe" J:
MC20.exe
Interested in other solutions if someone has an idea...

What is the "J" for in your script?
\uMCEPlayer6.exe" J:
I want to modify this for use with PowerDVD program. I assume you are calling/running the script in the MC external player "arguments".

Hilton

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:23 am »

Here's my scripts. The batch file runs invisible with wscript.

Change file type tag to bdmv3d for the 3D ISOs in your library.

Change playback method for 3D Blu-ray to custom external player in Options>file types>Video>3D Blu-ray.

I added some timeouts to the batch file which might need to be tweaked depending on your system and ISO mount tool.

Here's the new visual basic script that kicks it all off and makes it invisible.

Copy this text into notepad and save it as invisible.vbs
Set JRiver to run this as a custom external program for bdmv3d with the argument [filename]

I renamed all my ISO's to remove spaces in the filenames as scripts sometimes don't like being passed the quotes you need around filenames with spaces in them.

You may need to adjust the path for the 3Dmount.bat and of course your ISO mount program and 3D switch for your video driver if you need it.

save as invisible.vbs
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
For Each a In WScript.Arguments
  arg = arg & " " & a
Next 'a
WshShell.Run "C:\3Dmount.bat" & arg, 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

And some tweaks to the 3Dmount.bat that the wscript calls

save as 3Dmount.bat
SET INPUT1=%1
SET ISOFileNamePath=%INPUT1%

SET ISOmount="C:\Program Files\DVDFab Virtual Drive\vdrive.exe"

%ISOmount% /M:0 %ISOFileNamePath%

timeout 1

mc20.exe /stop

timeout 1

REM mc20.exe /stop

REM timeout 1

call C:\TMTstart.bat

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable

%ISOmount% /U:0

And finally some tweaks to the TMTstart.bat which starts TMT (from the call in 3Dmount.bat), to make sure MC doesn't start playing the ISO.

save as TMTstart.bat
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable

timeout 1

mc20.exe /stop

timeout 1

start /w "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\uMCEPlayer6.exe"

Someone else with better programming skills than me could probably do this all in vbscript but I cant be bothered. :)

Now I can run all my 3D blurays from theatre view with just a remote and with minimal screen flickering between the app switch to TMT and back.

I just have to reauthor all my discs now down to just movie and subs only to speed the movie start up a bit by bypassing the menus etc.

PS. for testing purposed just load the 3Dmount.bat from MC instead of invisible.vbs .
If everything is working, just change MC to load the invisible.vbs and your all set!

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:54:39 am »

What is the "J" for in your script?  I want to modify this for use with PowerDVD program. I assume you are calling/running the script in the MC external player "arguments".
I'm using SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive to mount .iso files.
I have set CloneDrive to only mount a single virtual drive. That drive is J: and is the one referred to in the script.
This is started the same way Hiltonk does so the arguments (%1) is passed to the batch file by JRiver.

Hiltonk: thanks for your input! I will try to revise my solution to use the /stop parameter as well. Maybe use the invisible script method also.

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 12:40:28 am »

I just wanted to add:

I tried my script with stereoscopic player with MVC encoded MKV files from makemkv and it does indeed work simpler and quite reliably now compared to TMT with 3D ISO's.
I commented out all the ISO mount script commands and most of the MC20 stop commands and just left the NVidia 3D on and off switch.

Stereoscopic Player now supports 3D PGS subtitles too, however chapters still don't work.

Im still on the fence on whether to make the switch from TMT to stereoscopic player though. I'd also have to re-encode all my 3D ISO's and that's time consuming!
I'll try programming the Logitech Harmony Ultimate with the default stereoscopic skip commands and see if I can cope with it for a few of my next 3D purchases.

Hilton

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 04:14:07 am »

Here's the process and scripts to get MC20 to launch 3D MVC MKV files in stereoscopic player.
You make 3D encoded MVC MKV files with MakeMKV. BTW you have to pay for it now.

This is the visual basic script that MC20 Launches to make the batch file run invisibly in the background.

copy this text into notepad and save this file as mk3d-invisible.vbs
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
For Each a In WScript.Arguments
  arg = arg & " " & a
Next 'a
WshShell.Run "C:\nvidia3D.bat" & arg, 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

copy this text into notepad and save this file as nvidia3D.bat
REM Switch Nvidia Driver to 3D mode

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable

REM Stop MC20 from taking fullscreen focus by switching to standard view

mc20.exe /Mode Standard

REM Call the batch file to start stereoscopic player and pass the 4 command line switch arguments from MC20 to stereoscopic player

call C:\mk3dstart.bat %1 %2 %3 %4

REM After closing Stereoscopic Player the batchfile resumes here to reset MC20 back to theater mode

mc20.exe /Mode Theater

REM Disable Nvidia 3D mode

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable

REM Reset Resolution to Default with qres resolution switcher - not necessary but I like to make sure! from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/qres.html (dont click the ads!)

"C:\Users\Hilton\Documents\qres.exe" /x 1920 /y 1080 /r:60

copy this text into notepad and save this file as mk3dstart.bat
REM Start Stereoscopic Player and pass the command line arguments from MC20 (%1 = 1st variable which is the filename, %2 = 2nd argument etc etc)

start /w "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Stereoscopic Player\StereoPlayer.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4

Put all the batch files in the same directory.
Under Options>file types>Video>   Change "Playback method:" for Matroska Video 3D to custom external player
Under "Program:" Browse for the location where you stored your batch files and select the mk3d-invisible.vbs as the program that will launch for mk3d files
copy these arguments into the arguments field
-file:"[Filename]" -fss -nl -termend
-file:"Filename]"   passes the filename to the batchfile for Stereoscopic Player
-fss   launches Stereoscopic Player in fullscreen mode
-nl   passes the no logo command to the player so it starts up without a logo
-termend   Terminates the player when the end of file is reached (in full screen mode only) or when leaving full screen mode.

Press ok to save it

In MC20 change your MVC MKV filetype tags for your MVC MKV files to mk3d or rename the file to .mk3d extension before importing into MC20. Stereoscopic will handle it fine as a mk3d file but I override the file type and leave it as a MKV file so other players can play it in 2d as a normal MKV file.

Other things you may want to do.
Set MC20 WDM sound driver as the default sound card in your system and under its properties in the advanced tab set default format in shared mode to 24bit 96k studio mode.

Also in MC20 Go to Tools>Options>Audio
Under Audio Device Settings
Change the default buffering to between 5 and 30msecs to fix lipsync (5 works fine for me but your mileage may vary)

In the stereoscopic player decoder settings under Other>Audio Renderer  add the JRiver WDM soundcard as the first device in the list so you can still route audio through MC20.

I'll post some screenshots of the various settings and a video of it in use later on.

PS. You'll want to program your remote with a new Stereoscopic remote mode with some shortcut keys as Stereoscopic doesn't use standard media controls.
Stereoscopic responds to certain MCE remote commands by default.
2 of the commands that it does happen to react to are the Skip Forward and Skip Back commands BUT, by default Stereoscopic interprets those as Play Next File and Play Prev File which are useless for skipping forward as it doesn't support chapters in MKVs yet.

Stereoscopic Keys
Spacebar - Pause/Play
Control S - Stop
Control P - Play

Pagedown - pause and fwd 1 frame (hold for continuous fwd slowmo)
Pageup  - pause and back 1 frame (hold for continuous reverse slowmo)

Control Pagedown - fwd 5sec
Control Pageup - back 5sec

Alt Pagedown - fwd 1min
Alt Pageup - back 1 min

Control Alt Pagedown - fwd 5mins
Control Alt Pageup - back 5mins

All the fwd and skip intervals can be changed in settings>user interface>other

escape key exits full screen mode which closes Stereoscopic Player and returns you to MC20

rec head

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 08:26:56 am »

Great post. Thanks.

Now I may have to start using the HTPC for 3d instead of the standalone player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up