INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 19 freezing/hanging between track changes. High CPU load.  (Read 2825 times)

robbbby

• Recent member
JRiver 19 freezing/hanging between track changes. High CPU load.
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »

I have been running MC19 since it first came out, never had problems until a few weeks ago.
I started to notice that there was long pauses between tracks at times and that using the pause/stop/track change in JRemote would sometimes not do anything until a couple minutes after pressing the function.  It seemed like the problem slowly got worse and worse so I finally decided it was time for a fresh operating system install.

The problems I mentioned above were happening on windows 7.  I decided to completely format my drive and install windows server 2012.
After installing the basic audio drivers I needed I went ahead and installed MC19, entered my key, set all my options up and configured the media server and I thought I was in the clear.  Sure enough the same problem had followed me to a new windows install, only it seemed much worse than before.

Before I go any further I should probably describe my setup.  I have a fileserver that houses all my harddrives and is running JRiver with my main library.  From there I have three other computers all also running JRiver as media/library servers, but they automatically load the library from the fileserver to use as their main libraries.  From there I use either JRemote on my phone or tablet to control playback at any of those 3 computers or I will just use the actual JRiver GUI on one of the computers.

I should also mention, after first installing MC19 on the new operating system and seeing that I was having the same problems I completely uninstalled it and downloaded the trial of MC20 to try, all the same issues as I describe above and below.

I'm now back on MC19 and have been trying to troubleshoot for days and made little progress.

The one thing I've noticed with task manager and process explorer is that a couple minutes after loading JRiver (either just the server, program, or both), the CPU load jumps up to around 50% and just stays there.  It does this regardless if I am playing music or not.  Even if it is a fresh boot and I have not loaded a single song in yet, after a few minutes it jumps up and stays there.
If I have the actual interface open, the program freezes/hangs, sometimes never recovering.  Sometimes music is still playing when this happens.  When music is playing, songs always play through right until the end, they have never stopped or hiccupped mid playback.  It is only after the song finished that it generally take awhile for another to load.

I've noticed playback is SLIGHTLY less troublesome if I boot media server on startup and do not open the actual program.  However after one or two songs it eventually starts with the long delays between tracks and the long delays between manual track changes or pause/stop.  Even with just the media server running, MediaCenter19.exe is at 50% CPU.
Im actually sitting here typing this up listening to music and I had a flawless track change (not something that happens often unless it's a fresh boot), quickly flipped to process explorer and noticed 20% CPU load which then dropped to nothing, 10 seconds later though up to 50% (song has finished now, stuck at 50% load, no new track has loaded yet).

I've run diagnostics on my samsung SSD and everything came back perfect.
I have 2x2GB stick of ram.  I tried both sticks running solo in both ram slots thinking maybe it was bad ram and nothing.
I've installed other media programs to playback the exact same tracks over the network and not a hint of any problems after hours of playback.
I also tried streaming those same songs in JRiver just using the file->open and browsing to the music instead of playing them through the library, same thing.
I thought it was a network issue but it doesn't make sense.  I can stream for hours with other music playback software with no problem, and like I said earlier, once a song actually starts playing with MC19, it plays through, any sort of network issue would most likely result in a skip.  I cannot see a network causing a 2-5 minute delay between tracks, it doesn't make much sense.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver 19 freezing/hanging between track changes. High CPU load.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:46 am »

If you haven't changed MC19, it's likely to be a problem with something else.  There is a long list of possibilities.  Antivirus, firmware on the device, disk problem, etc.

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »

MC19 is the only program that is crashing and loading the cpu, even when there is no playback.  From the point when it was functioning starting 6-8 months ago, until now, I have not updated firmware on anything.  I have no antivirus running and it is a fresh install of server 2012.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

Something changed, and it wasn't MC.

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »

I'm not here pointing blame at MC19, i'm simply trying to figure out why it would be doing this and looking for advice. 
I'm obviously not the first person who has had this problem with crashing/freezing/hanging (whether related to MC19 or some faulty hardware/software).  You guys even address the problem I am having in your changelog for 19.0.162.
I think I have purchased every version since 14 or 15, it's nice to come here and pretty much be told to take a hike.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »

Nobody told you to take a hike.  I don't have an answer.  Think about what has changed .

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »

I've seen frustration expressed before from a user trying to use MC on a Windows Server platform. That person didn't recognise that MC is not supported on that OS:
wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Windows_System_Requirements#Windows_Server_Core_and_OS_Enhancers/wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Windows_System_Requirements#Windows_Server_Core_and_OS_Enhancers

I suspect that the recommendation will be the same as that example and that is to install MC on a Windows desktop OS.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:01 am »

Are you using other software or settings like the Audiophil stuff?  If so, revert to using just MC.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:33:58 am »

I've seen frustration expressed before from a user trying to use MC on a Windows Server platform. That person didn't recognise that MC is not supported on that OS:
wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Windows_System_Requirements#Windows_Server_Core_and_OS_Enhancers/wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Windows_System_Requirements#Windows_Server_Core_and_OS_Enhancers

I'll suspect that the recommendation will be the same as that example and that is to install MC on a Windows desktop OS.

hmm I agree with the server install, AStromo. A friend tried running just the core with JRiver following a post in Computer Audiophile and that was a real can of worms  -- I got it to work finally until I added the second client and server 2012 was crashing all over the place with 32gb of RAM.

However, it seems like the OP had the issue under Win7. I think to isolate whats going Robbbby, you  should reinstall on Win7 (or win8) -- of course disabling all plugins and AV software.  Otherwise no one can really do anything but guess.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 08:12:32 pm »

However, it seems like the OP had the issue under Win7.

Your experience is useful to highlight the sense of using a supported OS. Agree that the sensible plan is to get back to basics.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up