INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Spacebar to start/stop play transport?  (Read 2029 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Spacebar to start/stop play transport?
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »

Howdy,

I thought I saw this in one of the "improvements" threads about a month back. Would like to raise it again as this method is pretty much defacto standard in all pro audio apps and (to me) is about a thousand times more efficient that CTRL-S or whatever key combo we have right now.

Would also like to suggestion the keyboard right and left arrows as a simply way to move to next track/previous track when an album is playing.

Cheers!

VP

MusicHawk

Re: Feature Request: Spacebar to start/stop play transport?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »

+1   Space bar for stop/go is widely used in other apps, I'm always stabbing it in MC, forgetting whatever it is that really works.

However, arrow keys navigate within the list, useful for various reasons, not sure if I'd want this to always switch the playing-now track.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »

+1 space bar for stop/start would be a good improvement.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 02:42:10 pm »

We'll try switching spacebar next build:
Changed: Spacebar always fires play / pause instead of only when full screen is focused (experimental change -- may not remain).

It's experimental because it's possible this will lead to other problems and have to be reversed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »

We'll try switching spacebar next build:
Changed: Spacebar always fires play / pause instead of only when full screen is focused (experimental change -- may not remain).

It's experimental because it's possible this will lead to other problems and have to be reversed.

Awesome!

Q: What possible "problems" could occur with this? (As opposed to CTRL-S or whatever key combo is in play now?)

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »

However, arrow keys navigate within the list, useful for various reasons, not sure if I'd want this to always switch the playing-now track.

I was thinking "only when a track is actually playing".

Q: When you say "navigate within the list" - what list? Or all lists? And I assume the transport is stopped when this "navigation" occurs?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »

Q: What possible "problems" could occur with this? (As opposed to CTRL-S or whatever key combo is in play now?)

Some part of the user interface depended on getting spacebar.  It's possible there isn't any part like that, but I'm hedging my bets.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:41 pm »

8) I've been wanting this for years.

Does this change apply to Theater View and Standard View? I would really like it in Theater View.

Q: What possible "problems" could occur with this?
Could be a problem when tagging and you need a space between words. What if playback now stops? What if you are watching a slide show while playing music? I think that currently the spacebar pauses/plays the slideshow while the music continues to play.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »

Some part of the user interface depended on getting spacebar.  It's possible there isn't any part like that, but I'm hedging my bets.

Good call. I do not recall ever using Spacebar for anything - but chances are I have never used every possible function.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:03:12 pm »

Could be a problem when tagging and you need a space between words.

It's not translated if an edit has the focus.  I thought of that one!

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:53 pm »

Could be a problem when tagging and you need a space between words. What if playback now stops? What if you are watching a slide show while playing music? I think that currently the spacebar pauses/plays the slideshow while the music continues to play.

Well - clearly some thought needs to go into it - and clearly if the Tag Editor has focus (but a track is playing) we would not want MC to stop playing if I am putting a space into a tag.

Again - I am thinking about when the transport has focus and one is strictly starting/stopping/playing/auditioning an album, skipping thru tracks etc etc.

VP

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:17:28 pm »

It's not translated if an edit has the focus.  I thought of that one!
Nice. Here are a few more places that spacebar might be used that I'm not sure qualify as an "edit."

Search
Setting File Location in Options
Checking/Unchecking DSP in DSP Studio
Slideshows
Setting up ZoneSwitch
webpage entry
Performer Store
VST Plugins
View and Playlist creation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »

Nice. Here are a few more places that spacebar might be used that I'm not sure qualify as an "edit."

Anywhere you have a blinking cursor should be an edit.

Only possible issue I can see (which I think is minor and not worth worrying about) is jumping to a list-value with a leading space.  Like right now, you can type "A" to jump to the As in a list.  Space probably worked before (though I don't know for sure) and this might have borked it up.

But, who cares about that case?  How many files with leading spaces can people have, and if they do, is that the expected behavior anyway? (I'd think you'd want the first non-whitespace character to be the "key" for jumping.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:51 pm »

Well, I am enjoying the spacebar operating as a start/stop in the Mac way, as are many others, but I am having trouble with the web search entry as forecast by mojave.

If I highlight a track or album and go to the AMG or Google etc tabs to search for album data for tagging or interest, I cannot enter or modify the search entry using the spacebar to enter a space. The music only starts and stops.

Can the spacebar be freed up if the focus is on the web page? Or is there another method to enter a space?

Thanks for the continuous improvement.

MikeBRG

OS is 10.8.5. Hardware is modern iMac. Using iMac as player. MC is 20.0 52

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:00:05 pm »

I just fixed this in MC for Windows (space bar in browser controls), with any luck the fix will also work in the next Mac build. I think it should.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 05:02:44 pm »

Thanks, Hendrik.

I see I have mistakenly jumped into the Windows forum but you have answered the Mac issue as well.

Many thanks.

MikeBRG
Pages: [1]   Go Up