INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on CD ripping workflow  (Read 1443 times)

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
Advice on CD ripping workflow
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:35 am »

Hi,

I've just bought MC 20 and wondered if I could get some advice on the workflow I use for CD ripping please.  I've read through a lot of posts and the Wiki, but am still a bit unclear on some issues. 

At present, I rip to ALAC files and do some basic tag editing using XLD.  I then use Yate to complete the tag editing, get album art, etc., and finally import to iTunes.  I've set MC to watch the iTunes media folder.  I also have Audirvana Plus 2.0 watching the iTunes folder, and sync my iPod to iTunes.  Does this seem a sensible way to do things now that I'm using MC, or could I do all the ripping and tagging in MC?

Thanks in advance

Chris

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Advice on CD ripping workflow
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:58 am »

This is essentially the workflow I have used for a while and simply have not tried JRiver for ripping.  One thing I do, and maybe so do you and didn't mention it, is have XLD add the files directly to iTunes so there is no second action of Add To Library or "drag and drop" onto the iTunes logo to add the files.

I don't use Yates.  I add artwork manually from my searches online using XLD.  I add most of the basic metadata I need/want with XLD, touch up or add a little in iTunes if necessary and expand on metadata with the additional fields in JRiver again if necessary or wanted.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

Thanks for the reply. 

I didn't have XLD adding files directly to iTunes but it's a good idea so I've changed the preference now.  I find Yate useful for tidying up track names as the results can be very variable for classical Cds.  I can probably do much of this using CM's library tools though, so I'll maybe try this and just use Yate for more difficult cases.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:54:25 pm »

I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to classical music but I know those more involved in that genre seem to have more difficulty with proper tagging because of the complexity of the information than someone like me who is more generic in my genres with pop/rock, jazz, blues, country etc.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

Yes, tagging is more of a problem with classical music, and the online databases can be very inconsistent, e.g. giving track titles for some discs in a multi-disc album in English and others in German.
Pages: [1]   Go Up