INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "or" parameters for smartlists  (Read 1311 times)

al1947

• World Citizen
"or" parameters for smartlists
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:43:27 am »

I am picking up some of the tricks of creating smartlists, but am totally stymied on how to construct "or" syntax, especially when using a "contains" criteria or when mixing up two different criteria.

Examples of what I mean:

I have the classic Rhino "British Invasion" box set. I wanted to create a smartlist that contains that set plus some of the key groups that are missing. Say The Dave Clark Five and The Animals (their early and biggest hits aren't on the box set). So the construct of such a smartlist would be "album contains "British Invasion"" OR "artist contains "the Animals"" OR "artist is "the Dave Clark Five"". Note: Animals music is easier to find with a "contains" since they also recorded as "Eric Burden and the Animals"

Similarly, I don't understand to to string together a playlist of more than one specified classical conductors: e.g. "artist contains "Leonard Bernstein"" OR "artist contains "Herbert von Karajan"". In classical, conductors record with numerous orchestras and soloists, so a "contains" search is more inclusive.

The workaround I can find is to write the smartlist as "artist is any" and then check off all the combinations I can find. That's tedious. And I usually have to make several correction to catch missing permutations.

I have read http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language repeatedly, and when I follow the instructions for "or" formulas, it results in an "and" criteria. Or it doesn't work at all:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [artist]=[the Dave Clark Five],"Animals", [Album]="the british invasion"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "or" parameters for smartlists
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:44:36 am »

In the editor you create two rules and then put parentheses around them by clicking just to the left and right of the rule.  This will OR the rules together.

You can also edit by hand and add OR.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »

Awesome!

Where is that documented? I have been searching for that capability forever.

Shail

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:55:51 pm »

Yes, very nice! Spent ages looking for this in the manual ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up