INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Open library to "Startup" location  (Read 1866 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] Open library to "Startup" location
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:24 am »

When loading a library, it would be helpful and seems logical to always obey the Options > Startup setting -- I always specify Last Location, Last Exit View.

Because now, when I load a library it always goes to the MC Welcome page, which is really just for new users. It's a pain for the MC user to always have to navigate to where they really want to be.

More logical would be to treat a library load the same as MC startup.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: [REQ] Open library to "Startup" location
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »

When loading a library, it would be helpful and seems logical to always obey the Options > Startup setting -- I always specify Last Location, Last Exit View.

Where are you loading the library from?  When I use Playing Now > Playing from ... > Library name > Load Library, it doesn't switch views at all.  That same view is showing after the load.

If I pick the library from the menu, it doesn't change the view either.  Unless I'm at a library view, and that makes sense because the new library won't have the same view.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »

I don't use your steps, seem like too many. I use File > Library > Library name. I like this method so much that I added Library to my toolbar so it's just two clicks to move between libraries.

Using this method, Load Library is rarely the next step. Instead, when I click the Library name, it immediately opens on "Welcome to JRiver Media Center". This is the situation where I wish that the library opened to the last-used view, as it does when I start MC from scratch.

Why am I only rarely am taken to the Load Library screen? (So rarely that I'm not sure what happens when I do that.) Is a recently-loaded library cached (or still open) so it doesn't need to be explicitly loaded again?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »

I don't use your steps, seem like too many. I use File > Library > Library name. I like this method so much that I added Library to my toolbar so it's just two clicks to move between libraries.

When I do this the view doesn't change.  Playing Now before, Playing Now after.

Like I said, a library view will unload because the ID of the view won't be in the new library.

Is it possible that's what you're seeing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »

What I'm expecting, not getting, is that when I switch the current library, which I assume implicitly closes it first, that MC would remember the Last View and when I later reopen that library, MC would open that view -- exactly the same behavior as when I close MC, then reopen it. But I guess switching libraries is not the same as closing then reopening MC?

My behavior is consistent, whether in Playing Now or in a view or smartlist or whatever, when I switch the library, the new library always opens at "Welcome to JRiver Media Center". Then I click Audio or some other view just to verify it really is the new library. But when I then switch to another library, that opens with "Welcome to JRiver Media Center". When I then go back to the original library it's also at "Welcome to JRiver Media Center" even though pre-switch it was on Audio or a sub-view or Playing Now or whatever.

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »

Another experiment: I opened a different library, worked in it for a couple of hours. Then I switched back to my main library. In this case, MC took me to the Load Library screen (which almost never happens), 95% of the time a library switch opens page "Welcome to JRiver Media Center".

But rather than clicking Load Library this time, I was curious so clicked the Audio view -- and the library was already loaded. But it's not how Matt stated the steps, so I'm confused.

As I move between my libraries, there seems to be no need to click Load Library. Which makes sense, once the library is defined in MC, selecting it seems to imply loading it. But is it working as-designed?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 06:03:01 pm »

Because now, when I load a library it always goes to the MC Welcome page, which is really just for new users. It's a pain for the MC user to always have to navigate to where they really want to be.

+1

I mentioned this a long while ago and was politely told to live with it.

Happens to me every time I load my Mobile Library - I end right back at that Start page which is of zero use to me.

Then when I switch back to my Main lossless library - the same thing happens.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:55:25 pm »

To be clear: Anything under Audio, Video, or Images is a Media View (or Library View, as Matt called it).  These are stored in the Library, and can't be auto-loaded when you switch Libraries.

That's because the Last Used View is per-machine, not per-Library.  That is good, or else no client copies of MC would be able to re-open the last used view (they'd always open the last used one on the Server, not themselves).

The problem is that when you switch Libraries, the stored Last Used View refers to the last used view in the Library you just switched FROM.  It doesn't know where to put you (the item it says to go to doesn't exist anymore), so it puts you at the Start page.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »

The problem is that when you switch Libraries, the stored Last Used View refers to the last used view in the Library you just switched FROM.  It doesn't know where to put you (the item it says to go to doesn't exist anymore), so it puts you at the Start page.

Well - I clearly remember this working fine at one point - probably in the MC18 era - because I do remember how annoyed I suddenly became when a version came along that suddenly started sticking me at the Start Page. (hence my post on this way back when)

Everything seemed to be fine up until that point - and I have always had two libraries that switched just fine.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up