INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MusicNet, PressPlay and other services  (Read 510 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
MusicNet, PressPlay and other services
« on: January 24, 2002, 08:40:23 am »

Anyone had a chance to take a look at the new services available?  We'd be interested in hearing about your experience.  Are they easy to use, worth the money, etc.?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:MusicNet, PressPlay and other services
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 09:33:40 am »

I did read some of the rules and what you get for your money.

I did not think it was worth it.

the same thing that has been talked about Quality, Can You Burn To CD-Rom, MP3 Player's still remains.

I am waiting to see what happens to napster, Nice Brand Name That could take over if they get it online.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

RE:MusicNet, PressPlay and other services
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 11:53:21 am »

Trying to be objective (not easy, given my bias against these folks), they fall way short. King's right. Same issues.

Why spend money for inferior quality you can't do much with anyway? most of us in the forum spend a lot (too much?) time in front of the monitor, but in order for a service to work, the files have to be portable. That's where the technology is going, and that's where consumers want to go. Streaming to stereo components in your house, or to a remote computer,  is only part of the solution. If I can't burn a CD to take on the road, it's not  worth it to me.  

EMusic is the right model. Maybe they're unique. It works for them because they're offering a lot of older material, that wouldn't generate high volume activity in traditional media form. Therefore, whatever piracy risk is generated from on-line sales doesn't really dilute their retail sales.

At some point, these geniuses should divert some of the effort they now devote to suing everthing that moves, and reallocate their resources to a DRM program that accomodates my needs as well as theirs. In the emanwhile, I'll shop somewhere else.
HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up