INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver crashes my keychain++  (Read 3112 times)

magjac

• Recent member
JRiver crashes my keychain++
« on: December 21, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

Hi, running v. 20.0.45 on Yosemite 10.10.1. Music library on Synology 1512+ NAS.

After a couple of hours playing music, suddenly JRiver freezes, and - bam - the keychain is lost, all plugins in chrome stops working, personal folders gone etc.

Had exactly same problem on my older MBP (late 2011 model, but same software versions), but had hoped JRIver might behave better on my new iMac Retina. Unfortunately not. I'm running on a reasonable clean machine - no special sw installed.

Anybody else having same experiences?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver crashes my keychain++
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:09:39 pm »

What are you playing to?  Does it have a device driver installed? 

Anything else unusual?

Is the Synology firmware up to date?

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »

Playing to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC via USB. No special device driver - it's native on OSX.

Fully updated Synology.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »

Can you send us a Media Center log file?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »

John,

I have now managed to recreate the problem (just by playing music) - but the log files goes along with the key-chain, chrome plugins, jriver library etc. :-(

I have positively started logging, checked that the logs were created, followed up on the update from the logs - and then - when it blows up, the log and previous log is gone.

Is there anyway I can configure where the log-files are stored - or do you have any other ideas?

(since last time I have updated to latest version, 20.0.57)

/Magnus

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »

This is a really puzzling problem that we've heard from a couple other users.  I wonder if the Synology has anything to do with it?  Could you run without the Synology for a while to test?  

After you install Media Center, do you do any customization of any settings?  Maybe you could start with fresh settings (delete /Uses/<user name>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini).

Then re-install Media Center, then import your music (please detail the steps you take to import your music), then disable background auto-import (Tools / Options / Library / Auto-import / Run auto-import in background).  Enable logging.  Now use Media Center for a while and see if it has the problem again.

Do you have a third party virus checker running on your system?

Can you post a screenshot of your "File Location" dialog, like mine below?

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:33:16 am »

will do.

/Magnus

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:55:36 pm »

Brief summary....

When playing music, after a while OSX crashes, keychain is lost, files (including jriver log) disappears --> restore from time machine.

I'm using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, a Synology 1512+ NAS (music files) and Sophos Anti Virus for OSX. In every test situation, all versions of all software have been "the latest"... Tried several versions over time, in the different variations.

Have tested rigorously - and restored the (new) iMac and my older MBP a significant number of times....

My conclusion is that the combination of Synology and Sophos aren't great companions for MediaCenter.

Have tested with files stored locally with AV --> no problems
Have tested with files stored locally without AV --> no problems
Have tested with files on Synology and no AV --> no problems
Have tested with files on Synology and AV --> lot's of problems

My Synology is difficult to be without, and I would prefer being able to have AV running on my machine too.

Maybe you could test a similar combination - and be better at debugging than me?

Tnx!

:-)

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »

Why would you even bother with Sophos anti-virus?  You're running OSX which is nearly completely immune to classic viruses and trojans.  As long as you do your part to not let unauthorized software get installed, you should be totally fine.  In the last 9 years, everyone I know with a mac, including myself, have never had any intrusion of any sort and none of us run anti-virus software.

I say ditch it and enjoy your mac and JRiver!  :)

Brian.

magjac

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:49 pm »

I will consider your proposal while reading this :-)

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

Kind Regards,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »

Why would you even bother with Sophos anti-virus?  You're running OSX which is nearly completely immune to classic viruses and trojans. 
Anyone who thinks that is dreaming.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 05:12:23 pm »

With respect to both of you:

Meanwhile the rest of the Mac world doesn't run anti-virus software and it's widely known that it's un-necessary.

Are intrusions possible?  Sure.  On all systems.  Are they probable on OSX?  No, not really.  There have been a handful of widely reported cases in the past 5 years or so, but all of them that *I* can remember required the user to say "yes" to installing malicious software.  This is totally different than the threats we are used to with PCs that silently infect the machine and then do damage.

Ask yourself when you last heard of someone getting malware on their Mac.  Then ask them if they said yes to installing software that "just popped up while web browsing."

Again, I'm saying all of this calmly and cool-ly.  :)

Brian.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:50 pm »

Hello Brian,

I feel that it's a personal preference whether to have an anti-virus software installed on a Mac or not. :) The proliferation of virus is depending on whether the operating system is popular or easy to get, but it's not mostly due to whether the operating system is built safely or not. Just as an example, you won't see as many malware attacking AIX or Solaris than you would see from Linux.

In the past, Mac users were IT or media savvy people. However, as more and more people use Macs, things are becoming different. It's really important to know how to use computers safely, but it isn't going to be everyone who knows how to. There will be more people who are not computer-savvy and people who will take advantage of it. I've seen how things went haywire when internet was initially offered to public, so as many people use OS X, it's bound to happen. Greed can do that to people.

Best regards,
Y. G.

silentshade

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »

Hi, running v. 20.0.45 on Yosemite 10.10.1. Music library on Synology 1512+ NAS.

After a couple of hours playing music, suddenly JRiver freezes, and - bam - the keychain is lost, all plugins in chrome stops working, personal folders gone etc.

Had exactly same problem on my older MBP (late 2011 model, but same software versions), but had hoped JRIver might behave better on my new iMac Retina. Unfortunately not. I'm running on a reasonable clean machine - no special sw installed.

Anybody else having same experiences?

I have!
Yosemite 10.10.1, 10.10.2 2 different systems, 2 different SSDs.
Seems it's the same issue. Same situation, playing library from Synology NAS 412+.
Here is a full explanation (see last bug): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96598.0

silentshade

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 08:35:32 pm »

Seems that in that thread there is a similar issue:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94061.0

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:53 am »

Brief summary....

When playing music, after a while OSX crashes, keychain is lost, files (including jriver log) disappears --> restore from time machine.

I'm using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, a Synology 1512+ NAS (music files) and Sophos Anti Virus for OSX. In every test situation, all versions of all software have been "the latest"... Tried several versions over time, in the different variations.

Have tested rigorously - and restored the (new) iMac and my older MBP a significant number of times....

My conclusion is that the combination of Synology and Sophos aren't great companions for MediaCenter.

Have tested with files stored locally with AV --> no problems
Have tested with files stored locally without AV --> no problems
Have tested with files on Synology and no AV --> no problems
Have tested with files on Synology and AV --> lot's of problems

My Synology is difficult to be without, and I would prefer being able to have AV running on my machine too.

Maybe you could test a similar combination - and be better at debugging than me?

Tnx!
:-)
Could you send me a backed up copy of your Media Center library (johnt at jriver dot com).
Do you use the Synology as simply a network file server, or is it also serving as a DLNA server?  Please post an example of the file names in Media Center for the music files on your Synology.
Pages: [1]   Go Up