INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists  (Read 2240 times)

Daveburt

• Recent member
Playlists
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:34 am »

Hi folks,

I may need to read a little more, but I'm having problems building a playlist (music) in MC 20...  :(
I realize JRiver is a huge undertaking with many variables, but I thought I'd make a suggestion that would make things easier on the playlist front.  
I know I'd appreciate it!

I usually work from "Theater View", but even switching to the basic screen I found it nearly impossible to build a playlist...

Anyway, I'll work from the Theater view premise to offer suggestions I feel would make building playlists more user friendly.
After a lot of fiddling, I found it pretty easy to get to the playlist feature in theater mode, but still found it virtually impossible to add files to said playlist.

FWIW, here's my suggestion...  ;)

If you select "Playlist", offer an option in the top menus to add files. Have the program split the screen with all media on one side and the (future/current) playlist on the other.
Then allow you to drag/drop files to the selected playlist...

I really like MC, and would love to see it become the MC of choice.
Ease of use, and "idiot proofness" is really important...

The versatility and audio/video functions of the program are awesome!
But, it seems like the interface is becoming less intuitive...  :-\

Thanks,
Dave

TV-LG 60" Plasma_Head Emo UMC-1_Amp UPA-500_Speakers: Mains Paradigm Monitor9 v7_Dayton SUB 1000 10"/100w_Infinity Sterling Center_Boston Acoustic Sat6 Rears_Logitech Harmony One remote

HTPC: ASRock AM1H-ITX_AMD Athlon 5350(25w)_8Gb Crucial Balistic 1600 1.35v memory_Samsung EVO 120Gb SSD_3Tb WD Red HD_Fractal Node 605 case

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:16 am »

In standard view, if you go to "Playlist", right click, then select "Add Playlist" a box comes up and you can drag and drop into the box.  You can even select more than one at a time from the "Files", "Artists", etc menus (using the shift and control key.

I use Theater view, but not for that.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »

Theater View is for use in a home theater environment. I.E. From your couch with a remote control and large TV screen. Given that, it isn't the best environment for building complex playlists. It is used more to add one or two songs gradually to build a list. Like at a party where people ask for certain songs. These kinds of playlists are normally thrown away after.

For permanent playlists I would not even try to use Theater View. Use standard view as that is what it is designed for. Library management is much easier.

Daveburt

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »

Hi Folks,

Using standard view from my couch is a little difficult, due to my input device and eyes...  ::)
I do see what your saying though, and it makes sense not to offer playlist building in Theater Mode.

I may have to install MC on my desktop and build playlist from there.

Thanks,
Dave

TV-LG 60" Plasma_Head Emo UMC-1_Amp UPA-500_Speakers: Mains Paradigm Monitor9 v7_Dayton SUB 1000 10"/100w_Infinity Sterling Center_Boston Acoustic Sat6 Rears_Logitech Harmony One remote

HTPC: ASRock AM1H-ITX_AMD Athlon 5350(25w)_8Gb Crucial Balistic 1600 1.35v memory_Samsung EVO 120Gb SSD_3Tb WD Red HD_Fractal Node 605 case

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »

What I have done for several years is to have a small monitor by our Win7 HTPC and a large screen and Remote for Theater View watching from the couch. We do all library and misc MC work on the small screen with a mouse/keyboard.

MC is very good at working with dual monitors.

Cheers,
Rod

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08:19 am »

Also, not sure if you are aware but you can use MC on multiple computers you own and "share" a library between them. So you can put it on another windows computer and do the tag editing there. Linux or Mac require a separate license, but they can be networked to share a library as well.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:42:46 am »

Also, not sure if you are aware but you can use MC on multiple computers you own and "share" a library between them. So you can put it on another windows computer and do the tag editing there. Linux or Mac require a separate license, but they can be networked to share a library as well.

The last time I tried to edit tags on a 'Client' I had a lot of difficulties. Mostly the tag changes would not 'stick'. They showed ok on the Client but when I checked on the Server they weren't there. I have read of others having similar difficulties.

My last attempts were using MC19 so perhaps, and hopefully, this problem has been corrected in MC20.

Cheers,
Rod

Added on edit:

Actually it was back in MC17 when I tried doing a lot of tagging from a Client. Here is the thread I started on the issue:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72125.0

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 04:25:38 pm »

My last attempts were using MC19 so perhaps, and hopefully, this problem has been corrected in MC20.

My comments were directed at the OP, but reading the thread again I can see how it looked like I was saying it to you. :)

But you are correct, tagging on a client has been hit or miss for me in the past as well. I just don't do it anymore and I'm not sure if it has been fixed or not. Probably back in the MC17 days for me as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up