INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 Has Stopped Working - please help!  (Read 1624 times)

dpdemo

• Recent member
MC20 Has Stopped Working - please help!
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:22:37 pm »

I was playing MC19 last weekend over a tablet via Gizmo, streaming some audio when the audio just hung during a song.  After numerous unsuccessful attempts to get it running, I ran downstairs to check the server to find an error dialog on the screen "MP3.Encoder has stopped working"  I gave up trying to figure it out when MC19 started giving me "MC19 has stopped working" error dialogs.

So, I just uninstalled everything and loaded up the latest copy of MC20.  And, guess what?  Same old story.  Numerous "MC20 has stopped working", which I though I had cleared up: it had imported my old audio and seemed to be playing fine.  Then, I went back to Gizmo and tried again.  Same old story again.  "MP3 Encoder has stopped working"  followed by "MC20 has stopped working"

I had MC19 running for months and months with no problems and now I have a completely useless music server and I have no clue why.  the only configuration change on the PC was that I installed Global Meet on it to run a test of that software.  I uninstalled it tonight before I installed MC20.

I'm a newbie and am completely lost - and, obviously, totally frustrated.  What steps should I take to get this running again?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 Has Stopped Working - please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:44 pm »

This could be an anti-virus software that has recently updated its definitions etc.

However, here's what I would do:

If it works at all, launch MC20 and make a backup of your library file immediately. Put it on the desktop, or anywhere other than the default location.
Then uninstall MC20.

1) Don't delete the registry entries etc. Keep the library files too.
2) Reinstall the latest version of MC20.
3) Restore your library from the backup. Don't restore your settings for now.

If that doesn't work:

1) Uninstall MC 20, but this time delete the registry settings too. Keep the library files.

If either of those approaches works, you can then attempt to restore your previous settings from the library backup.
If you cannot even get into MC, don't worry, MC makes regular backups of your library. Locate these. Copy them somewhere handy, and do the above, but use a backup that was made by MC to restore to.

Ask if you are not sure of anything.

dpdemo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:40:50 pm »

I don't have Antivirus on the server.

MC 20 seems to stop when I do anything within the program that launches a browser.

I believe I have done everything you recommended and still have problems - this is a clean install from the ground up. Rebuilt the library from scratch.

It is something common to MC19 & MC20 - this tells me something outside of MC is causing a problem; however, this is all I use this PC for.

I can do another full uninstall / reinstall, but I don't believe that will help (?)

This could be an anti-virus software that has recently updated its definitions etc.

However, here's what I would do:

If it works at all, launch MC20 and make a backup of your library file immediately. Put it on the desktop, or anywhere other than the default location.
Then uninstall MC20.

1) Don't delete the registry entries etc. Keep the library files too.

If that doesn't work:

1) Uninstall MC 20, but this time delete the registry settings too. Keep the library files.

If either of those approaches works, you can then attempt to restore your previous settings from the library backup.
If you cannot even get into MC, don't worry, MC makes regular backups of your library. Locate these. Copy them somewhere handy, and do the above, but use a backup that was made by MC to restore to.

Ask if you are not sure of anything.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:58 pm »

the one thing you don't mention is the version of windows you have on your server
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:57:47 am »

Maybe you have conversion set to MP3 when you stream.  Check the options on the server.  Try converting a file to MP3 there, just to see what happens.

dpdemo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »

• OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1.  OS has all important updates installed.  
    I tried turning off the live encoding when playing to a remote device.  This did not fix anything

I was trying playing again using Gizmo and the MP3 error appeared on MC immediately.  I did notice that Gizmo would start the next song in the list each time the MP3 encoder error appeared on MC screen.  Also, MC keeps going back and automatically starting to play some file 'Ipc' on the server - I don't know what that is.

At this point, I have a totally useless and unstable install and I just cannot seem to put my finger on the cause.  I did look at the Windows Event Viewer and two .dlls are causing all the problems:

JRImage.dll  (both MC19 and MC20 installs exhibited the same trouble)
lame.exe (mp3 encoder)

I see no other trouble with the PC itself - it all seems to be in JRiver MC.

Anything I can try, I'm all ears.

bluepin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 06:51:46 am »

Check the encoder settings. With Monkey's encoder it should work without problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up