INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot make wake on lan work- help for computer semi-illiterate please  (Read 7444 times)

focussed

• Recent member

Hi All,
I have MC19 on two win 7 machines and a android running Gizmo.
Network coms is OK during use, Gizmo and the client laptop can access the win 7 server, all good.
However, I just cannot wake the server from the laptop or Gizmo.
I have enabled the wireless card in the server, and ensured the auto start is ticked.
I understood that the WOL should then work, but it doesn't.
I assumed that as the various machines can communicate, then the router must allow communication, but not so sure now, so....I then tried fiddling with my Huawei HG532A router, read that WOL uses so (I think) I opened port 9 and set the client address to 192.168.1.9, the address of my ethernet card, but still no go. Tried different ports, addresses, but still ng.
I've now spent about 10 hours trying to do this, I've been through the wiki and the forum, various port forwarding sites, but probably due to my lack of technical know-how, I just cannot make this work.
I'd appreciate some help,in laymans terms, to get this feature working
thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot make wake on lan work- help for computer semi-illiterate please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »

The wiki has a topic on WOL.

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »

Thanks Jim,
but as I said above, I've already been through the wiki and the forum,  but I just cannot make this work, and really would appreciate some help. it's probably something simple which I'm just not seeing

I'd appreciate some help,in laymans terms, to get this feature working
thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:42:36 pm »

It can be difficult sometimes.  I can't say anything that you couldn't find with an Internet search. 

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:48:10 am »

this helped me as a check list http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL need to know your router and local networking a bit though. If given a choice, MAC addressing in addition to fixed I.Ps through the router helped. Also I had to go into my bios for the WOL options on one machine but it was in power options on another machine  - older motherboards might not have the capability also.

Good luck on your magic packets :)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »

I have enabled the wireless card in the server, and ensured the auto start is ticked.

WOL can be frustrating at times, but you are going for a much tougher nut to crack, Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN).

Info is abundant on WOL:
http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

The issue with WoWLAN is that a whole protocol stack has to be kept running for the WiFi adapter of the server be able to recognize a magic packet, whereas a wired NIC needs only the MAC and PHY powered to receive and treat the magic packet.  It is not impossible with the proper hardware (Intel is referred to).

A good background info on why WoWLAN is so difficult: http://www.revolutionwifi.net/2010/11/wake-on-wireless-lan.html.

If you can, use a wired connection at least for your server, it will be a whole lot easier !

help for computer semi-illiterate
FWIW I am comfortable with networks and I would not like to have to make WoWLAN work  :(

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »

Hey Rudy, thanks for the explanation about wireless WoL.

You've helped my understanding.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

Yeah, WoWLAN pretty much requires a wireless adapter that is designed to support it. Look for it in the specifications of the adapter that you have, or one you are thinking of buying if you want WoWLAN to work.

If you are using the motherboard's wireless adapter, or a wireless card fitted in the PC, you could replace it with a new adapter that has WoWLAN designed in.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:30 am »

Thanks to all for the informative feedback, based on the seeming near impossibility of getting WOW to work, I reverted to WOL. Disappointingly, I cannot get this to work either. A load of googling seems to result in the fact that the laptop I'm using, an Asus X54C with WIN 7, does not support it. Has anybody come across this issue with particular machines, or should all WIN 7 machines support WOL?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:39:33 am »

Have you tried the properties for the wireless device in the laptop?  There are probably some related settings there.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 10:44:34 am »

Thanks to all for the informative feedback, based on the seeming near impossibility of getting WOW to work, I reverted to WOL. Disappointingly, I cannot get this to work either. A load of googling seems to result in the fact that the laptop I'm using, an Asus X54C with WIN 7, does not support it. Has anybody come across this issue with particular machines, or should all WIN 7 machines support WOL?

It's not just a software issue, the motherboard/ethernet NIC needs to support it.  Some MoBo's have much better WOL support than others, and some (usually older)  MoBo's have no support at all.  I haven't seen one in a few years that didn't support WOL at all, but I don't interact with very many laptops.  I've definitely seen machines where you had to "turn on" WOL in the BIOS.  

Have you checked your motherboard firmware (i.e. BIOS or UEFI) for a WOL option?  It's usually accessed by pressing a key right when the computer starts (the key might be delete, f2, f7, or something else, it should say which one at boot).  You might just need to enable an option in the BIOS/UEFI menu before it will work, or there may be no option which might be suggestive.

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:35 am »

Hi Jim, yes I've set up the correct properties, but no go I'm afraid,  that's when I started to google actual laptop properties, but I'm not sure the web info I accessed was accurate. It would be great to get this working, as it's one of the last barriers I have to overcome to get SWMBO to transfer from using CDs!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »

Oops. I wrote all the stuff below because I misread that your server was the ASUS X54C, but now rereading I see that the X54C is the client, trying to wake the server. Oh well, read this stuff and it may help. At least it confirms that the X54C does support WOL.

But now, tell us about your server. In particular, the motherboard brand, model, version, and if applicable, the network card in it, or the brand and model of built in Network Interface Card (NIC). Get this from the Device Manager if you don't know from elsewhere. Also see if you can find out the brand, model, version of the wireless card in your server.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, the Asus X54C has either one of the Atheros AR8131, AR8132, AR8151, AR8152 network cards. According to the latest network driver for the ASUS X54C, the network card supports "Wake Up Capabilities", with both MagicPacket & PatternMatch capabilities, but it is turned off by default. So you need to turn it on.

So when you said you have set up the correct properties, did you go into;
Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center
Click on he "Connections: Local Area Connection" which opens the "Local Area Connection Status" dialogue.
Click on the Properties button
Click on the Configure button (You can get to this point by opening Device Manager and double clicking the Network Adapter as well.)
Click on the Advanced tab
and scroll down to find the relevant WOL settings and turn them on? The settings might include;
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan
Wake on Magic Packet
Wake on Pattern Match
WOL & Shutdown Link Speed

The settings may be a bit different for you. The above are what my Realtek NIC has. Here is a ASUS with Atheros on VISTA setup description:
http://computerboom.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/howto-enable-wol-wake-on-lan-for-asus.html

While you are looking at the Configuration, go to the Details tab, and find the "INF Section" and "Hardware Ids" properties. With those you can work out from the INF file which network card you actually have.

Once you have made the above changes, save them, reboot your laptop, then go all the way back into the Configure Dialogue, and this time go to the Power Management tab (instead of the Advanced tab). Make sure that the settings are correct here. Mine are;
Tick: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power (Required for the next setting to be available, and not greyed out.)
Tick: Allow this device to wake the computer
Optional: Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer (Probably a good idea. Ticking this would just disable the Pattern Match method.)

Save all those changes, if any, and reboot.

Now that you have that working, here is a description of how to get WOWLAN working in Windows 7, if the wireless card supports it.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee851581(WS.10).aspx

Note that the ASUS X54C can have one of three brands of Wireless LAN Adapters, from either Intel, Atheros, or Foxconn, as shown on this page:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X54C/HelpDesk_Download/

You could try following a similar procedure to above for the WLAN and see if you can get WOWLAN working, or look up in Device Manager and let me know which brand you have, and I'll see if it supports WOWLAN.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 04:03:28 am »

Hi RoderickGI,
Thanks for the comprehensive post!!! It's Most Appreciated.
In fact, the Asus is the server, my post was not very clear on this, so your post is absolutely what I need. I will be following your instructions later today, and will report back ASAP..
thanks again!!

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:34 am »

Well, I have now followed all the instructions for implementing WOL, and...nothing happens. I've also tried a magic packet sender programme to see if that will work, here-http://magicpacket.free.fr/. Installed on both laptops.
I collected all the info required from the server laptop and input it to the remote laptop magic packet prog, and put the prog on the server laptop onto 'receive' It did not allow use of port 9, "only i usage per socket address is permitted" So I changed to port 25 (randomly selected by me) on both laptops, and tried again. Nothing.
Any further help would be gratefully accepted!!!!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:05:30 am »

Have you checked your BIOS/UEFI as described in my post above?  If WOL is turned off in the firmware no amount of windows software configuration will help; I have definitely had systems where WOL was disabled in the BIOS by default. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »

Okay. I assumed that you had checked in your BIOS for any settings related to WOL already, and turned them on. If you haven't, then do that first. I couldn't find a complete description of the X54C BIOS settings, so I don't know if you will find any settings in there. Lots of PCs don't have a setting, and WOL is just turned on by default in the BIOS, but some do, and if they do, they are often off by default. So check that.

The choice of port 25 was a bad one. That is used for email transfers. If you need to use a different port, use something above 1023, such as 3333. The software knew that port 9 was already in use on the server, and I would hope that use is for WOL.

But you shouldn't have to change ports at all. You should use Protocol: UDP and Port: 9, just as shown in the screenshot of that software.

However, you shouldn't be running that MagicPacket software in receive mode on the server either. In fact doing so may change the way the laptop responds to a Magic Packet. I assume that the receive mode is used to check that a Magic Packet can get through a router from outside your network, or even inside I guess. For that purpose it make sense, and therefore try a different port and see if the packet gets through your router from the client to the server with both running the software as you already have. At least that should tell you if your router allows a Magic Packet to pass through it.

If that works your laptop should receive the Magic Packet on port 9 and wake, without the software on the server. Just run it on the client laptop and send the packet to the server after it has gone to sleep.

Actually though, using a MC client with the JRiver Access Key for the server set up correctly to wake a server works very well, so you shouldn't have to use separate software at all. If your client laptop connects to your server X54C laptop, and you are using the Access Key method, and both PCs have access to the internet, then I would just use that. Why specifically? Because the Access Key holds the correct IP Address and MAC Address for your MC server, so there can be no mistakes. Both your wireless adapter and Ethernet adapter have their own IP and MAC Addresses, and you could be sending the packet to the wrong one. In fact, while you are testing WOL on the Ethernet connection, turn off the wireless adapter on the server X54C laptop.

Now check that your client connects correctly with both PCs turned on, and you can play something at the client. Then disconnect the client (close MC on the client), put the server to sleep, wait a few minutes for everything to settle down, then try to connect with the client again.

If none of the above work, turn of any software firewall on both your server and client PCs, then test again.

If none of the above work, tell us the brand and exact model of your router. Maybe it blocks Magic Packets.

PS: Also, this is a good description of what is needed for WOL from inside and outside your network, although I don't have "Simple TCP/IP Service" installed and WOL on my network works fine for me.
http://windows7-issues.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html

focussed

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:51 am »

Hi all,
thanks for the replies, and apologies for the unavoidable delay in responding. Ive now gone into the BIOS of the Asus X54c, have (I think) set the boot priority as LAN. I am in the boot section, have enabled UEFI boot (whatever that is...)
Boot option priorities are now shown as:
option #1 [Atheros Boot Agent]
option #2 [P1:SlimtypeDVDA....]
option#3 [PO: ST9320325AS...]
I've saved this into the Bios.
I could not find a magic packet option in the BIOS.
The LAN adaptor is an Atheros AR8151 PC1-E I've set the necessary functions, ie allow this to wake the computer, wake only on magic packet.
I removed the magic packet sender prog.
Rebooted again and..still no WOL. I'll continue to research and try other suggestions, but any further guidance from the experts on here would be greatly appreciated
thanks
bry

Pages: [1]   Go Up