Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV  (Read 7855 times)

Rick

TV
« on: January 23, 2002, 12:28:39 pm »

When I scan to add channels, it will scan all of them (which I can see as it's doing it), but when I go to watch them, I can only go up to channel 12.  All the channels are there, but if I try to watch anything past channel 12, it is just a fuzzy screen.  Any ideas?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:TV
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 12:42:44 pm »

3D Glasses?

Mine Works (ATI All In Wonder)

Maybe you need A UHF Feed\Ant

Or Maybe You Need The Correct Splitter UHF\VHF To 75U
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Rick

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2002, 12:55:01 pm »

I have digital cable.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2002, 12:57:39 pm »

What card?  What version of MJ?  What OS?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Rick

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 01:35:57 pm »

I have MJ version 8.0.183, Windows 2000 pro and an AC97 sound card.

Rick

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 01:37:16 pm »

Sorry...I have Hauppage.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 01:43:39 pm »

OK, you're using the right version of MJ.  Hauppauge support is new so there may still be problems.  

Yaobing, who wrote the control, will be along in a while, but take a look at this thread:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=7455&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=
It may help.
Jim Hillegass

Yaobing

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2002, 05:19:12 am »

What version of Hauppauge driver do you have? VfW or WDM?

Do you get all scanned channels listed in MJ's channel list?

Yaobing

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2002, 05:30:00 am »

It just occurred to me that you might have mixed up Antenna from Cable. Make sure you selected the right one according to your actual setup when you scan channels.

Rick

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2002, 06:46:47 am »

I checked and made sure it is set on cable.  All the channels are listed, I just can't see anything past channel 12.  I'm not sure what version of Hauppauge drivers I have.  I just download the newest driver two weeks ago.

Ubae

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2002, 07:50:31 pm »

I am also having problems with the Hauppaugue WinTV. I have the latest wdm driver for xp (3.27.20012). I get the error "Failed to play TV. Internal Error". I haven't had tv working since 8.0.183.

Anyone else getting this?

MJ 8.0.189

PME999

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2002, 09:23:11 am »

v8.0.189
Hauppauge TV PCI

I'm getting the "Failed to Play TV, internal error" too, whenever I scan for channels or when trying to watch a manually added channel

Hauppauge's TV apps work OK

mooseman

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2002, 04:27:53 pm »

Are you sure these channels are viewable without a cable box?  Have you tried connecting a TV directly and comparing?

ubae

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2002, 03:41:43 am »

Mooseman,
I actually am using a box (a DirecTV box). I run an s-video cable from the box into my WinTV card. This system works using PowerVCR and the WinTV software. I had it working in MJ too up until last week's updates.

Yaobing

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2002, 05:50:38 am »

Ubae,

Version 8.0.183 is when I switched from Hauppauge OCX (you had right-click problem with it) to the generic WDM model. There maybe some kinks that need to be ironed out.

Yaobing

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2002, 07:01:45 am »

>I just can't see anything past channel 12

This is a classic example of mixing up Cable and Antenna. Since you all are very sure you clicked the right choice when scanning, the only other explanation is that I DID NOT SET IT RIGHT :<Next Page

Indeed, I accidentally used Antenna for tuner type even if you selected Cable. That is why you had this problem. In the next build, hopefully this problem will go away.

Yaobing

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2002, 07:03:19 am »

By the way, the problem only exists with Hauppauge cards.

Ubae

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2002, 02:25:30 pm »

Yaobing,
I just d/l 8.0.193. TV is working again. Thanks.

Ton-Up

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2002, 09:21:48 pm »

Yaobing,
I've just tried the latest beta and have got further with the TV setup than before but there still seems to be a problem.

1)If I scan for channels MJ goes through the process and displays a picture and then show a box titled "playbackeng" and the message "failed to access TV tuner"

2)If I type in a station number that I know will have a station on it MJ displays a box titled "playbackeng" which contains a yellow triangle with an excalmation mark and no message.

In neither case is there an error box when closing as I had before.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2002, 04:52:48 am »

bugs .193:

-removing channels from list doesn't remove them from playing now
-scanning for new channels pops up hauppauge's channel suite dialog. leaving it starts channel scan.
-scanning for channels should warn user that he's going to loose all his channel settings and names
-there's no setting for mono, stereo or multilanguage things (which seems to be supported by wdm)
-channels in playing now have the send-to enabled which looks like a nice feature (playlist of tv-channels), but doesn't work
-with directdraw acceleration disabled (I had this due to a bug in Matrox's drivers and Netmeeting's desktop sharing enabled) when starting tv-viewing a messagbox pops up telling that MJ is unable to connect the overlay device (or somthing like that), but continues fine (ok, it's veeerrry veerrry slow on screen updates at high resolutions, but it's still working.)

this is on German XP-pro, latest Hauppauge drivers (3.27) installed.

Yaobing

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2002, 07:43:55 am »

Ingo,

> -scanning for new channels pops up hauppauge's channel suite dialog. leaving it starts channel scan.

This behavior is for Hauppauge VfW driver. For WDM drivers, it should not behave like this. You said you had driver version 3.27, I suppose it is WDM driver.

If you are using VfW driver, then this behabior is normal. It is my kludge on the Hauppauge cards. The Hauppauge OCX does not give me a flexible way of scanning channels. You have to use the Channel Suite Dialog and use scan function on that dialog to get your channels. When you click OK on it, MJ will take the channels from the Channel Suite dialog.

On the other hand if you are indeed using WDM driver, the explanation would be that you previously had VfW driver, and installing WDM driver did not clean up the VfW from your system (I had this problem on my system). Enumeration of video devices would always list the ghost VfW driver as one of the available drivers. If this is the case, try one of the following

1. Try right click in the video window, and see if you can find the "Devices" submenu. It should be in the top group of submenues in the context menu. In "Devices" you should see a list of video and audio devices. If you see multiple Hauppauge device, try choosing a different one.

2. If you can not see the Devices submenu (you would not see it if TV is not started successfully), try open the registry by running regedit.exe program and find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\TV Settings. Delete the item named "VideoDeviceDisplayName" and try start TV again.

Yaobing

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2002, 08:22:50 am »

Ton-Up,

What Hauppauge driver do you have? VfW or WDM?

Can you check your Device Manager and find the Hauppauge video driver from "Sound, Video and game controllers" and let me know the name of the driver?

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2002, 08:30:32 am »

Yaobing,

ok, found it... strange thing, I need to do a double-right-click to get it, and it only works in the tv-picture area, not in the black frame on top and below (or on left and right side)
In this menu I found some of the stuff I was missing before (like language selection, ...)

The only devices listed are 'Hauppauge WinTV Capture' (checked), 'VfWWDM32.DLL' (unchecked) and 'SB Live! WaveDevice' (checked).
I don't think I ever had a VfW-driver installed since I last did a full reinstall (but I'm not shure about that, it's been some time). This system has originally been W2k and I just upgraded a few days ago to XP. And I don't find any ghosting VfW devices in any other (VfW only programs as well as WDM programs) program.

Just an additional question: any reason to use this Hauppauge OCX stuff? I used to be able to use my TV-card without any problems even before Hauppauge-support was announced. (didn't use it very much, but never had any problems)

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2002, 08:40:58 am »

one more bug:
when resizeing MJ while the channel bar is disabled, the numerpad reapears.

Ton-Up

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2002, 09:54:41 am »

Yaobing,

I'm using the latest VFW drivers vers 4.2 running under win 98. For viewing I use the win tv 2000 program.

Peter

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2002, 11:17:48 am »

GOT IT!!! (I Think)

v193, Windows XP, Hauppauge WDM v3.17

edit the registry as detailed in of of these posts
Disable the VfW driver in Device Manager
add a channel and select "Input Source" from the drop down - this allows you to right click and get the TV specific context menu
Select the right source (it seems to default to my Video card rather than the TV card (haupauge PCI))
MJ prompts to download the necessary bits
hey presto - scan for channels - works a treat (well for me any way)

Yaobing

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2002, 01:19:35 pm »

From the posts of Ingo and Peter, I think there must be something special about Hauppauge WDM driver on XP. On my Window 2000, I could use the WDM driver with my generic WDM code without having to download the Hauppauge OCX files from our site. Ideally, at least the way I designed it, if you have WDM driver, you would not be prompted to download anything. It would be nice if it can work without having to download the OCX. I do not like the kludge I did on Scan Channels anyway.

That you had to double-right-click to get the context menu seems to occur consistently with the combination of Hauppauge WDM driver and Hauppauge OCX.

Yaobing

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2002, 01:29:09 pm »

Ton-Up,

The reason I asked you about your driver is that the error messages that you got suggested that the TV control was not using the Hauppauge OCX control as it should. With VfW driver, it is supposed to load the OCX, and if the OCX control does not exist on your machine, should prompt you to download it from our site. When you started TV did it ever prompt you to download files?

Ton-Up

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2002, 01:35:04 pm »

Yaobing,
No it has never prompted me to download an ocx. All it does is scan produce a picure with sound and then bring up the "playbackeng" box.

Yaobing

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2002, 01:43:05 pm »

Ton-Up,

Does your VfW driver has "Hauppauge" or "WinTV" in its name? Maybe my program failed to identify your driver as one of Hauppauge's.

Ton-Up

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2002, 01:52:25 pm »

System properties Identifies it as a "Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video driver".As far as I can tell the exact version number is 4.2.19139, and it came staright off the Hauppauge site.

Yaobing

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2002, 02:10:21 pm »

Ton-Up,

You driver has the same name as mine. So it should have been recognized as Hauppauge driver.

Instead of trying to scan for channels, please try manually add one, choosing "Input Source" instead of "Tuner Channel" for Type. It does not matter whether you have S-Video or Composite connected. This is only to avoid the "failed to access TV Tuner" error. Now try to play that "channel". This will start the TV. Right click in the video area to get context menu and check "Options" submenu in the top group (TV specific). Do you see "Video Source ...", "Video Format ..." listed there?

If "Video Source ... " is in the list, try it. In some drivers you may be able to set channels there.

Also, check "Devices" submenu and make sure "Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video driver" is selected.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2002, 02:16:49 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

sorry for this misunderstanding, I didn't have to download anything to get my TV-card working. It's just plain WDM drivers and MJ (as far as I can judge), no OCX, nothing other  than the stuff that came with MJ's installer.

Yaobing

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2002, 03:48:04 pm »

Ingo,

Did you have Hauppauge OCX installed previously? If you do not have the OCX on your system, MJTV would not display the Hauppauge Channel Suite dialog. Check your system32 folder maybe you can find hcwWinTV.OCX, ChSuite.OCX, and wtvcap.ocx. MJTV would not have any other way of firing up a Hauppauge program.

Ton-Up

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2002, 10:01:57 pm »

Yaobing,

Ok I think i have worked out what the problem is.

I, at last, managed to get far enough to access the right click menu in TV mode and selected "Devices". The sound driver was ok but the video driver selected is the "Brooktree Bt848 Capture Driver", there is no option to select the hauppauge driver. I've tried disabling the capture driver but that just stops the TV dead.

Have you any suggestions?

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2002, 12:29:01 am »

Yaobing,

yep, all three are there. I think some builds ago MJ wanted to download a Hauppauge package. Other than that, I don't remember installing an Hauppauge ocx stuff.

Yaobing

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2002, 05:57:44 am »

Ton-Up,

That explains the behavior you saw completely. My program did not recognize your driver as Hauppauge and would not know to load Hauppauge OCX.

Your driver shows up in the system Device Manager as "Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video driver", I wonder why this name does not show in the program. Can you try uninstalling the driver from the Device manager and reinstall wtvdrv42.exe downloaded from Hauppauge?

I will have to switch to Windows 98 and do some tests before I can say anything further.

Ton-Up

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2002, 08:03:26 am »

Ok I've done as you asked and cleared out everything to do with wintv and reinstalled the vers 4 drivers but it's still the same. I've also tried the drivers from the original installation CD and it's still the same. I'm no expert but the VFW and Boxtree drivers seem to be very tightly bound together.

Ton-Up

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2002, 09:24:54 pm »

Yaobing,
Thanks for all the work you've put in to fix my problem with the TV component of MJ, I think it's nearly there.

As of build 197 i can now select a channel and MJ will say i need to download the Hauppauge component,It will go to package installer say it is connecting and then display an "unable to install package" message. Any ideas?

Yaobing

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2002, 05:20:25 am »

Ton-Up,

I have once seen the behavior you described. It turned out to be a missing file on my computer that the Hauppauge OCX depends. Reinstalling Hauppauge driver fixed it.

You can try find the OCX files that MJ downloaded (hcwWinTV.OCX, ChSuite.OCX, and wtvcap.ocx) and try manually register them in reverse order (wtvcap.ocx first, hcwWinTV.OCX last). If your problem is like what I had, one of the files will fail to register due to a missing file.

Yaobing

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2002, 05:28:32 am »

Ton-Up,

I should have said that the OCX files are packaged in a zip file (HauppaugeTV.Zip) and should be located in your TEMP folder.
In general if MJ's package installer downloaded the package successfully but fails to install it, you may find the downloaded files in your TEMP folder. You would probably file a *.mjp file and a *.zip file.

Yaobing

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2002, 06:12:45 am »

Ton-Up and all who have Hauppauge WinTV on Win98 system,

Previously your WinTV card did not work with MJ because my program failed identify your driver as being Hauppauge (you got Failed to access TV Tuner error). I have fixed this in MJ build 8.0.197. Please give it a try. Now instead of giving you "Failed to Access TV Tuner" message, it will prompt you to automatically download and install some Hauppauge files from JRiver site. If your downloading and installation succeed, you should be able to run TV through MJ.

There is one problem that I should warn you about. The first time you run it, you will probably get silent TV. If this happens, exit MJ and restart it. You will have sound. There seems to be a bug in Hauppauge's OCX. I am going to try to communicate with Hauppauge about it. If the driver is loaded a second time after a previous loading and unloading in a process, the ocx will lose its sound. This will also give you trouble if you start TV in MJ, then stop it and play something else (such as mp3 or play nothing else at all) and then restart TV again. You will have to quit MJ and restart it to get TV sound.

Ton-Up

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2002, 09:57:14 am »

Yaobing,
Ok I did a clean reinstall of the hauppauge drivers and tried to start the TV component of MJ but I got the same message as before "unable to install package". I've checked the temp folder and found the mjp file but no zip file so I am assuming MJ is unable to install the package because the zip file isn't downloading.

JimH

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2002, 10:21:17 am »

Ton-up,
Could be a problem on the server.  We'll check.

Thanks for your patience with this.  It's a big help to us to have someone reporting back.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

Yaobing

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2002, 10:46:54 am »

Ton-Up,

Please open the HauppaugeTV.mjp in NotePad or any other text editor and check the Url= line. I suspect that is the problem. The URL does not seem to be complete. However two weeks ago I was able to install the package inspite of this.

Ton-Up

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2002, 12:20:01 pm »

Yaobing,
I opened the mjp in wordpad as you said and this is the result:

Name=HauppaugeTV
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=1.0.1
Url=HauppaugeTV.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_SYSDIR
File2=ChSuite.ocx
File2Action1=REGISTER
File3=hwww.nTV.ocx
File3Action1=REGISTER
File4=wtvcap.ocx
File4Action1=REGISTER

Since my last post I've emptied my Temp file, so I knew I wasn't missing something, and tried downloading the TV components again but I still only get the mjp file and no zip.

Jim I'll stay patient all the time you guys are fixing things and you're always doing that so there's no problem this end.

JimH

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2002, 12:25:16 pm »

Ton-up,
This is our mistake and will be fixed in tonight's build.

Here's what it should be:

[Package]

Name=HauppaugeTV
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=1.0.1
Url=http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/components/HauppaugeTV.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_SYSDIR
File2=ChSuite.ocx
File2Action1=REGISTER
File3=hcwWinTV.ocx
File3Action1=REGISTER
File4=wtvcap.ocx
File4Action1=REGISTER
Jim Hillegass

Ton-Up

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2002, 01:44:12 pm »

Yaobing, Jim,
We have lift off!!!
The package installed, the TV component fired up and we have a great picture. I'll test the whole setup as soon as i can to make sure all is correct.

Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem and I hope it can set an example to some of the more militant types that pop up as to how well MJs support system works if you keep calm and stay on track.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2002, 01:48:54 pm »

Ton-Up

I have been following this, i am really happy for you.

glad you worked with them trying to get this resolved, if more users would take the time to work thru there problems like you did, the world would be a better place.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2002, 01:56:00 pm »

This world is a better place.  (I know it's corny.)

Good news, Ton-up.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up