INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20.0.47 using lots of CPU not doing anything (also not auto importing)  (Read 2168 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

So, MC is not doing anything (that I can tell). There is not playing, tagging, nothing, yet it is using a constant avg 10% CPU on an i5 4 core machine (w/8 GB RAM). Something doesn't seem right...I don't recall seeing this before. Also, as mentioned in another post, it will not auto import. I'm going to shut down and restart MC and I am pretty sure, it will auto import the files that are sitting out there, and probably stop using all that CPU.

Thoughts??

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC 20.0.47 using lots of CPU not doing anything (also not auto importing)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:21 am »

So, stopped and restarted MC. Did NOT reboot. MC found one of the albums it should have auto-imported. (Not the other yet).
I now playing music as I type this and CPU wanders between 0 and a few percent.

So, something does not seem right. Why would MC start to consume CPU and not auto-import?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:40 am »

It could be analyzing audio or some other background task.  You can turn these off by turning off the 'Run auto-import in background'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

It could be analyzing audio or some other background task.  You can turn these off by turning off the 'Run auto-import in background'.

But the problem is that it isn't auto-importing, even though that is set and I want it set. Also, not sure what it would be analyzing since it hadn't imported in awhile.

So, the questions remain: why is auto importing not working (until I stop and restart MC) and could that be related to excessive CPU usage?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:22 am »

Antivirus?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »

Antivirus?
I'm running Kaspersky. I've been running it for 6 - 8 months and it hasn't *seemed* to impact MC especially not auto-import.

To reiterate: MC is not auto-importing. If I stop and restart MC, it then auto imports, but if I move more files over, I'll need to stop and restart MC again. I don't see how anti-virus would cause that.

Also, not sure how anti-virus would cause MC to use excessive cycles. Anti-virus isn't using the cycles, it seems fairly well-behaved. How would it cause MC to use a lot of cycles? And when I do the stop and restart of MC, MC CPU usage goes back down to "normal".

Suggestions on what I should be checking/setting?

Background: Library is on a NAS drive that is mapped. Also, this problem seems fairly recent. I'm guessing within the last month or so.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:26:55 pm »

We have definitely seen problems with Kaspersky in the past.  Uninstall it to test.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »

We have definitely seen problems with Kaspersky in the past.  Uninstall it to test.
Seems odd that it would only recently cause the problems noted. I will however do a test tonight as report back.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 01:59:23 pm »

I'm not saying that it is causing the problem, but uninstalling is the only way to be sure.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »

I'm not saying that it is causing the problem, but uninstalling is the only way to be sure.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »

It does seem like the nuclear option!   ;)

But Jim is dead right. Anti-viruses do the weirdest things.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »

Sadly, I could not test last night as family-related reality interfered with my audio time. (or something like that).

Will shoot for tonight.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 02:40:42 pm »

I wanted to wrap this one up (I hope).

I ended up doing a bit of clean up on my system, some unrelated, some perhaps related.

Auto-import is working fine now and CPU is not excessive. I don't know if this will return or not, but I'll start a separate thread if it does and I can eliminate some variables.

What I did remove, and that may have been a problem, was F.Lux (https://justgetflux.com/) (using MC on Win7, btw).

Does anyone have any experience with F.Lux and MC? Do they fight over video control?
I'd like to use F.Lux (not while watching on my PC, of course), but if they conflict then F.Lux is out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up