INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio issues when switching between two TV channels as they are recording  (Read 1070 times)

thane108

• World Citizen

My problem:  when I record two over-the-air TV programs at the same time - switching back and forth to avoid commercials in more or less real-time - I get distorted audio.  Very slowwww audio.

I'm using hdmi out to the TV and spif out to the receiver - I'm not using HDMI out audio to avoid handshaking issues when I turn off the TV when playing music.

I'm  running an i5 processor on a z97 motherboard, using a GX 750-ti video card with 2 gig.  The system has 8 gig ram.   JRiver is on the high speed m.2 SSD  and is recording onto a second SSD.  JRiver is set to Realtek digital optical output wasapi.

I tried reducing the device buffer from 100 to 50ms, and changing sample rates above 9600 to 9600.  I also changed the properties of the spdif out to 2 channels 24 bit 9600.  I also set the dsp to two channels with JRiver mixing.

I tried the above using 1) the motherboard optical out, and 2) the optical out on a Creative x-fi, titanium sound card.

None of that solved the problem.

I finally got it working using the motherboard optical out by switching JRiver to bitstreaming.

Questions:

1) Is it working because bitstreaming eliminated buffering within JRiver?
2) Do I have any of the setting wrong in JRiver that are causing the buffering issues?
3)  Or do I have this all wrong and it isn't a buffering issue and I just lucked into the bitsreaming solution.

I can live with the bitstreaming solution but I would like to better undrestand the issues so I can choose between alterantive solutions.
Perseverance wins out in the end!

thane108

• World Citizen
Re: Audio issues when switching between two TV channels as they are recording
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:33:36 am »

I turned off Options - Video - Hardware acclerate video decoding when possible.

That seems to have stopped the buffer issues when switch between recording channels.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks

thane108

• World Citizen

Never did get any explantion on this - guess the holidays got in the way.

I did solve the buffering issue by experimenting with the various connections to the TV and Receiver.  The problem seems to be that JRiver doesn't play well with the video card I was using - my new EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB.  Hardware acceleration was an issue with that card - and even without hardward acceleration buffering was an issue when switching repeatedly between two recording stations.

My workaround was to move the video card to another PC and use the following connections instead:

Send video to the TV using the Asus z97 motherboard/Intel HDMI out.
Send audio to the receiver from the Z97 motherboard spdif optical out.
Set JRiver to Direct Sound.  (I haven't tested the other options within JRiver with the connections noted above - others might work as well.)

Now I can record two stations at the same time and bounce back and forth without buffering issues.
This also resolves most of the HDMI hankshaking issues - i.e. turning off the TV doesn't drop the audio out when playing music.

Sometimes when starting JRiver at the entertainment center there is a handshaking issue - no video - but toggling the TV on/off gets the video feed working.  I may be able to address this by adjusting the timing of turning on the reciever/tv in my universal remote.  I'll mess around with that when I have time.

I'm disappointed that JRiver and the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB don't play well together - maybe with a future firmware or JRiver update?

Anyone looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB should proceed with caution.

thane108

• World Citizen

There is an ASUS z97 bios setting that I missed that might address the buffering problem with the  EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB.

Under System agent information ->CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor [Enabled]

This item allows you to empower both integrated and discrete graphics devices for themulti‑monitor output. The CPU graphics shared system memory size is fixed at 64 MB.

I doubt I'll move the card back to test this - happy with my current config - I'm posting this in the event another user has issues with the video card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up