INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Upscaling (re-encoding)  (Read 2389 times)

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
Hard Upscaling (re-encoding)
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:33:16 am »

I am considering whether re-encoding some of my SD material at a higher resolution might be a good idea and I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who know or who have been there.

I have a system with lots of disc-space but that is borderline on gfx performance. I generally use Red October HQ with the best upscaling settings I can get away with and this is fine for all of my HD and most of my SD material. Some of my best-loved SD concerts though seem to cause the upscaling engine a bit more trouble and the only thing for it is to use RO Standard. This is Bad for two reasons:
1) I have to start up Remote Mouse on my iPhone to make the change. All a bit fiddly.
2) I do notice the drop in PQ.

So, I think that re-encoding the SD files with upscaled video might be worth a try since I'm not particularly bothered how big the files get if someone can recommend an encoder with good options that will get me in the same ballpark as madVr manages.

I understand that there's always going to be some level of degradation associated with a 2nd gen lossy encoding, but with the right settings I don't see it being an issue for this application.

Thoughts anyone?
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Hard Upscaling (re-encoding)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:12:26 am »

Interesting Q!  Generally the answer would be No as the going from the original file via the decoder & renderer during playback would result in the best quality, and these days the decoders & renderers should have both broad enough format support and be quick enough.  You "may" consider pre-transcoding files if you have:
- Compatibility Issues:  eg I transcoded all my DV-AVI files to AVC in M2TS containers as I found support for original DV-AVI was becoming spotty
- Performance Issues:  as in your case if your HW can not decode & render in real time you may want to re-encode but in general you would be better to just buy a better HW (eg GPU for madVR).

While there would be 2nd generational loss, as you would be decoding --> rendering --> encoding in most cases you will not notice any loss.  As an experiment, try using MC's Video conversion to make a stacked file and see you can notice any issues.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:16:14 am »

Thanks for the response.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'stacked file'. I'm only familiar with stacks of particles.

EDIT: And will MC Video Conversion use MadVR as the renderer?
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:39:26 am »

Video converison never uses a renderer, the renderer is only used when displaying the video.

For a goal of such high quality, you will likely not find a finished conversion software that does that. Most converters just use "simple" scaling, including MCs video conversion.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:44:52 am »

Oh, OK. Thanks. I assumed that it would use a renderer to render the image to an offscreen surface which would then be encoded for the required output. It was worth asking then!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:48:43 am »

.... if there is no renderer, what is the intermediate format used between the decoder and encoder?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:20:46 am »

In MC all video conversion uses a YV12 or NV12 memory buffer.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:21:56 am »

Doesn't the video have to be rendered into that buffer though?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 05:33:21 am »

No, thats just what the decoder outputs, and what you would usually give to the renderer. Instead of doing that, its just given to the encoder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 05:36:26 am »

Thanks for clearing that up.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:13:59 pm »

Thanks - so am I understanding correctly that the encoder is working directly on a 12 bit 4:2:0 YUV stream or does something scale the chroma to 4:4:4 at some point?   
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up