INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie, desperately seeking help  (Read 1683 times)

brisley

Newbie, desperately seeking help
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:30 am »

3 audio systems

Primary Home Theater/audio:
Synology DS214+
1. Can I put the media server on this or do I have to put it on there as library server only or only the library files?

2. How do I designate this?

3. In total, I assume I will be purchasing 2 copies of MC 20 and 3 copies of JRemote for ipad - is there a service that out there that does this remotely for a nominal fee?

4. Lenovo Y40 as MC20 server (?) only 500 gb hard drive, 8gb ram + 8gb ssd, has and spdif out that will support at least 24/96

5. to eastern electric minimax (old version) which has old school usb input and spdif input (prefer to use the spdif I guess)

6. could possibly use oppo bdp-95 audiophile as dac but not my first choice

7. all of these feed to mcintosh preamp and amps.

8. other 2 systems will use JRemote via ipad air to push music thru audioengine b1 which is capable of 24/96 via bluetooth (boy, really am sad aren't I?)

9. Is it necessary to use something like dbpoweramp for cd ripping to validate or is jriver adequate? I have a huge collection of grateful dead on hdcd and noticed it  has option to encode to 24 bit (is this necessary)

10. what format should I choose (assuming Flac and store all files on NAS)

11. Planning on hooking up laptop hardwired via 3.0 and ds214+ to linksys wrt1900ac via esata, is this best way?

12. planning on hooking up laptop via spdif out to dac.

I apologize in advance for all the rambling, just really,really lost. thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie, desperately seeking help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:04:54 am »

MC won't run on the Synology, but you can import from it in MC, using the Synology as a drive.

One copy of MC can be used on all the PC's or Mac's, but not both.  The wiki has a topic on licensing.  A link is in my signature.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:26:45 pm »

JRiver does not do anything with HDCD disks. It just reads them at 16 bits. dBpoweramp will decode them to 20 bits. Then JRiver will play the 20 bit data.  I have not done it is a while, but there is an option to turn on HDCD decoding somewhere in dBpoweramp.  It uses the hdcd.exe reversed engineered program, I believe.

You may have figured this out, but here is some info for you.

In MC a library is a small folder that contains your custom data (like view layouts, output devices, etc.) and a pointer to each media file. The library should be on a local, internal disk. The media files can be anywhere as long as the access is fast enough. So, your media files can go on your NAS. When you import the files, you just use its network name or a mapped name.

I believe you have at least 2 PCs. You need a copy of MC on each PC. You have the choice of maintaining a full library on each PC or just having the main server library have everything, in which case the client PC has a very minimal library. Maintaining full libraries on each PC is extra work, in that any changes to one PC has to be duplicated on the other PCs. If the PC clients are going to just be just playing or viewing the music/video, then client/server is probably the way to go.  You just then just use your main system as the one to make changes and to import new media files.

To set up a client/server, start by setting up the MC server system to share data. Go to Tools/Options/Media Network and turn on Media Network sharing. It will show a code of upper and lower case letters. You use this on the client to connect to server. You also need to provide the server login and password information. If you know how to do it, setting up a static IP for the server is a good idea. If the router changes the IP address of the server, the clients will not be able to connect to the server.

On the client, select Playing Now and Add a Library. You select a name for the server and enter the code. That should allow the client to download the library from the server to the client, temporarily. In playing now, you select Player (the default) to listen/view on the client. You can also use this mode so the PC acts like a remote control and plays the media on the server. You do that by choosing There from Playing Now.

Changes made on the server generally propagate to the server, but if yo make changes on the server, it may be necessary to have the client load its main library (mostly empty) and then reload the server library to get the new information.

JRemote can also connect to the main server using the same code and play/view on an iPad/iPhone.

I would set up a sever with some files and try client/server mode (known a Tremote - since is was originally viewed as a Terminal Remote to control the server system). There are lots of nuances, but that should give you an idea.

Using S/PDIF from the Lenovo to the EE DAC should be fine. Use WASAPI, Kernal Streaming or ASIO for best sound. You select the output device in Tools/Options/Audio Devices. JRiver to your EE DAC to your McIntosh system should sound great.

Sorry if you know all this, but thought it might help.

brisley

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:30 am »

Ok, spent 30 mins. trying to figure out how to downsize a pic to post of my mess. pitiful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up