INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video locks up when viewed from external HD  (Read 1983 times)

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
Video locks up when viewed from external HD
« on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »

I've had this issue for a while.  I have 26TB in external hard drives.  12 of which are networked on a personal cloud set of drives.  I also have 3TB internal HD storage.  When I view movies that have been stored to the drives in VOB format, the movies that are on the external drives will lock up when changing from the first VOB file which creates havoc with MC.  This problem is not evident when the Internal drives or the cloud drives are used.  Can anyone tell me if they have similar issues or if they have any idea why internal drives work and external drives don't?
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video locks up when viewed from external HD
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:03:03 pm »

What if you copy one of the VOBs to mkv format (http://www.makemkv.com/) - will it play then?
Can you play other formats (mt2s, etc.) from the external drives without problems?

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

Thanks for the reply CB.
The VOB files seem to be the only ones effected.  I've had no problem with AVI, MP2 or BD files.  Seems the issue comes when switching from the first to the next VOB file in the movie.  Movies that are compressed into a single file seem to be unaffected.  My VOB collection is at over 1400 Movies so converting the format is not an attractive option.   And I can't figure out why they play fine from an internal drive and not the externals.  Weird!

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 04:43:32 pm »

To add to the info.  I have 4 external 3TB drives and 1 2TB.  The issue occurs on any of the external drives.  My internal is also a 3TB, all the same Mfg.
Thanks for helping...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:31:57 am »

It could be just the speed difference of the external drives.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:43 am »

What is the transfer speed from the external drive? Can you copy one VOB movie to the internal drive and report back what the file transfer speed is?
Also run Windows Resource manager (Task Manager >Resource Manager) and watch the CPU, Memory, and Disk performance for clues.
Lastly, turn off any Virus protection/monitoring software (just for testing).

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

Are you sure it is locking up? MC could have most of the file in cache and then the drive spins down. So MC sits there when it gets to the second VOB and it takes a while to spin up.

You can verify by starting the movie and jumping to spot just before the vob change. If works that way, you know the issue happens because the drive spun down.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:36:30 pm »

Thanks for all the reply's.
I will do some experimenting to see what else I can offer.
I do know that the transfer rate from the External Drives to the internal sits at around 24MBs.
As mentioned, I have a cloud drive (PogoPlug ) that has a transfer rate of 11.3Mbs and it will play a movie through.  (I prefer to only use it if I have to.)
One of the External drives used to be on the Cloud drive prior to an upgrade.  It had no problem while on the cloud.  When I hooked it up as an external drive, it hangs.  When the movies hang, it just locks up.  I can stop it, but if I try to advance it, MC then locks.  I'll try to get a log file of the events and get them to you.
Thanks for the advice.
Chico

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »

OK, to whom do I send the log file?

CMJR

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

I am also experiencing the same issues.  When I attempt to watch a movie (vob format) from an external hard drive greater than 2TB, it crashes after during the transition into the second vob file. It seems to play fine from my internal hard drive as well as my 2TB external.  However, if trying to watch the movie from either one of my 3TB's or my 4TB then the problem arises.  I have also attempted different versions of the program (18, 19, and 20) and I have the same problem on every single version.  It is quite inconvenient then whenever I want to watch a movie, I need to transfer the movie onto my internal HD and then re-import it from a temp folder; watch the movie; then delete it and refresh my library all the time.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:01 am »

I got a log of the crash, Who do I sent it to?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:16 am »

I vaguely remember something about the Microsoft DVD Navigator filter freaking out with external hard drives.  Check this link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8d6a6b00-96e1-463d-b9b7-065b27c8dc82/windows-media-player-freezes-when-playing-an-ifovob-dvd-on-a-seagate-3tb-drive-but-plays-ok-when?forum=w7itpromedia

There's also this, which seems similar:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88394.0

From that first link, make sure you have all relevant updates to Windows installed.  In particular, apparently this one might make some kind of difference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KbView/3001554

Though I don't really know.  It does seem if you convert them from IFO/VOB to basically anything else (MKV or whatever) that it will solve the problem, if that kind of setup works for you.

But, there might be other solutions too.  Check the Windows updates.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up