INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Server Audio Format Settings  (Read 5128 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
DLNA Server Audio Format Settings
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:50:55 pm »

Could someone explain to me what the different options available in 'DLNA Servers --> Audio --> Format' do please.

The options are:

PCM L16 No header
PCM L24 No header
PCM 16 bit
PCM 24 bit

What I'm trying to achieve is bit perfect playback of 16bit & 24bit flac files over DLNA which, I think, is what I am currently getting but I don't know what these PCM settings do.

The Audio Mode is set to 'Original'

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Server Audio Format Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:18 pm »

Those are all "bit perfect" (depending on the original source)

If you have it set to original and your DLNA server is playing them, you're fine.  PCML16 no header is raw .wav and is "required" to be supported by all dlna devices.  

idahifi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:14 pm »

Can someone help me with a licence problem

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »

Could someone explain to me what the different options available in 'DLNA Servers --> Audio --> Format' do please.

The options are:

PCM L16 No header
PCM L24 No header
PCM 16 bit
PCM 24 bit

What I'm trying to achieve is bit perfect playback of 16bit & 24bit flac files over DLNA which, I think, is what I am currently getting but I don't know what these PCM settings do.

The Audio Mode is set to 'Original'

Thanks

If you have it set to Original then the PCM settings above are irrelevant; it is playing your original files without transcoding.

OTOH if you have it set to Selected format then the above settings DO apply; all the PCM settings are bit perfect for original files up to 16 bits, and additionally the two PCM 24 settings are bit perfect for 24 bit original files as well.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:34:40 am »

That's great, thanks to both of you for clearing that up for me.

I have it set to 'Original' & 'PCM L16 No header' and the DLNA renderer is reporting all flac files it is playing back as the same as the source files with everything from 16bit 44.1khz files right up to 24bit 192khz ones. So I thought everything was ok but I don't like not knowing what settings do.

So if I understand correctly, the PCM settings are just about how the RAW data is sent to the DLNA renderer. So JRiver decodes the flac files into RAW data and then the DLNA server sends that data to the DLNA renderer in the PCM format selected. Is that about right.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:40:15 am »

Can someone help me with a licence problem

Please read the wiki topic called Restoring a License .

If you still need help, post details, but do not post the license.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:41:48 am »

That's great, thanks to both of you for clearing that up for me.

I have it set to 'Original' & 'PCM L16 No header' and the DLNA renderer is reporting all flac files it is playing back as the same as the source files with everything from 16bit 44.1khz files right up to 24bit 192khz ones. So I thought everything was ok but I don't like not knowing what settings do.

So if I understand correctly, the PCM settings are just about how the RAW data is sent to the DLNA renderer. So JRiver decodes the flac files into RAW data and then the DLNA server sends that data to the DLNA renderer in the PCM format selected. Is that about right.

Pretty much, except in the case of "original" then you are sending the flac, MP3, whatever instead of PCM.  So if your DLNA renderer is capable of playing FLAC (for example), and you have conversion set to original no conversion (or original convert if necessary) there is no decoding at MC, it send the FLAC

PCM no header is a raw .wav and part of the DLNA spec, PCM with header is like a CD (basic track info) and likely any modern audio renderer that supports .wav with header will support FLAC/ALAC
Pages: [1]   Go Up