INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping problem  (Read 3015 times)

brimster

• Recent member
Ripping problem
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:13 am »

Full disclosure:  I'm a newbie to computer audio (beyond iTunes) in general and MediaCenter in particular.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a license for MC 20.0.40 for Mac after reading many positive reviews and comparisons to the other ripping and library solutions.  

I can't get it to rip reliably.  And when I do get a good rip, I can't get it to play without consistent "drop-outs" (gaps?)!

I've uninstalled and re-installed repeatedly.  I've updated to the latest and greatest OSX (10.8.5)!  I even tried two different Macs (both recent-vintage MacBook Pros)  I've read countless forum posts here and elsewhere.  None of this got me anywhere.  

I downloaded Audirvana Plus for library and dBpoweramp for ripping.  They work.

However, I really would like to get MediaCenter working for at least four reasons:  1) Reviews/Feedback that caused me to use it in the first place; 2) More extensive feature set; 3) Using one solution for both ripping and playing

Can someone either help me get this working?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I SOOO Want MediaCenter to work for me! But it won't! Please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:58:06 am »

What is the full version number

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:05:52 am »

Sorry...where would I find that?

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »

As far as I can tell, 20.0.40 IS the full version number.  That's what I get when I go to Help > About Media Center.  What's next?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:05:02 pm »

Start by installing the latest build.  That's 20.0.52 for Mac.  It's at the top of this board.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brimster

• Recent member
Ripping problem
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »

Yup.  I've installed the latest/greatest a couple of times without remedy.  But - on your suggestion - I thought I'd give it the old college try again tonight (20.0.52 for OSX).  

Wish I could report any difference whatsoever.  "Skips" in playback - that might have improved ever so slightly.  Ripping errors (not "seeing" cd, not being able to find tracks, etc.) continue.  Just tons of bugs.

Just to be sure and do an A/B comparison, I played the same files on Audirvana without any issues.  I then ripped on dBpoweramp without a problem.

Again, I'd love to get MediaCenter up and running because I really do think it offers a lot of functionality all in one package.  But this is ridiculous!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best!

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Ripping problem
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:47:03 am »

Ripping is new in MC.  You may have found a new problem.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:47:33 pm »

Does the "skipping" problem occur if you play tracks directly from the CD, or when you are playing already ripped tracks?  Does the skip happen every time in the same point in the music?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:36:27 pm »

The CD plays perfectly.  The rip (via dBpoweramp) is perfect.  Playback on MediaCenter skips sporadically and unpredictably.  I can playback the same file on Audirvana flawlessly.  Hence my hair pulling!

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 07:36:23 am »

What's the next step here?

I'd REALLY like to get this working.  If that's not possible I'd like a refund.

Thanks,

Jonathan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:37:16 am »

We're looking at it.  Please stand by.

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:32:37 am »

Thanks!

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:35 pm »

The CD plays perfectly.  The rip (via dBpoweramp) is perfect.  Playback on MediaCenter skips sporadically and unpredictably.  I can playback the same file on Audirvana flawlessly.  Hence my hair pulling!
I asked before if it skips when you play a CD track directly in Media Center rather than ripping first.  So in Media Center, when you look under "Drives & Devices" and see your audio CD, if you double click a track from there does it play OK?

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »

Just updated to 20.0.64.  The drops (gaps?) have decreased significantly but they're still there.  Every several minutes now.  Never experience them with Audirvana.  Never.  Haven't tried ripping on JRiver recently.

brimster

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 11:15:34 am »

Drops continue.  Every few minutes.  Doesn't happen with the same FLAC files played on Audirvana.  Help?

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 11:12:13 am »

Drops continue.  Every few minutes.  Doesn't happen with the same FLAC files played on Audirvana.  Help?
Just to clarify this thread, I think you are reporting two separate problems, ripping and playback right?

1. Ripping: There have been several CD ripping fixes that will be in the next posted build, please try it and let us know if you're still having problems.

2. FLAC playback:  So you have a flac file and when you play it in Audirvana it plays fine, but whey you play it in Media Center, you hear gaps in the playback.  Is that right?  Do the gaps happen at the same place in the same file every time in Media Center?  For example, you have a music file "A_Song.flac" and every time you play it in Media Center, you hear a gap at 1 minute and 3 seconds into "A_Song".  Then you play the same file in Audirvana and it plays fine.  Is that what you are experiencing?  Or are the gaps just random every few minutes?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up