INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting DSD downloads to PCM in JRiver  (Read 8637 times)

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
Converting DSD downloads to PCM in JRiver
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:41:18 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to convert DSD downloads I've purchased to PCM.  Pretty sure I did it once before and, right now, all my DSD files say 5644 DSF but it looks like they are being downsampled from 384 down to 192.  I recently picked up a DAC that decodes 176/24 and wondering if it would make more sense for DSD files to be converted to that PCM rate.  If my settings as is are fine, then please let me know.  Help greatly appreciated.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Converting DSD downloads to PCM in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

You can pick PCM in the format conversion tool.

But you could also just leave your files as DSD and set them to play as PCM realtime.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:29:36 pm »

You can pick PCM in the format conversion tool.

But you could also just leave your files as DSD and set them to play as PCM realtime.

Thanks Matt... So what I could do is take a file, convert it to 176 or 192 or something and then A/B it against the way JRiver does it automatically and see which I prefer, right? If I prefer converting to PCM 176 let's say, then I just take all my DSD files and convert them using the conversion tool and voila!... Right?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »

Thanks Matt... So what I could do is take a file, convert it to 176 or 192 or something and then A/B it against the way JRiver does it automatically and see which I prefer, right? If I prefer converting to PCM 176 let's say, then I just take all my DSD files and convert them using the conversion tool and voila!... Right?

That's the ticket.

Remember that the audio quality will be exactly the same if you do the conversion at playback or you do it beforehand.

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »

The PCM file will still have the High frequency sound in them unless you run DSP, Parametric Equalizer  with low-pass at 24000 Hz  slope 24 dB/octave on all channels being converted....That's the way I did mine..

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:36 am »

? The settings set for the DSD input plug-in do not apply? If you aren't psychic how do you avoid frying your speakers?
And then if you don't set anything in the DSP what settings does the converter use?
MC19

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:57 am »

you don't need to set anything in DSP if you convert to 24/96 or lower, those settings will automatically "low pass" the data

it's highly likely that any ultrasonics are filtered out somewhere in your audio chain already.  there are sites on the net (http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_1ch) that have tests to see if your system can play these sounds or not.  the majority of speakers lose so much power above 22kHz that even if the content is there, you won't hurt them...and the majority of amps and even DAC's will filter out these signals anyways

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »

Sorry, I just tried a conversion to flac with nothing set in the DSP and that results in 24/352k which my DAC will quite happily play (I really do hope that it doesn't filter ultra sonic frequencies). So if my tweeter can reproduce the high frequency noise the problem will go away by itself: it won't play them for very long. IMO what applies to the majority is not really helpful (for example the majority of people who ever lived are dead) why take the risk of damaging the speakers?

The issue here is that if the DSD plug-in settings do NOT apply, why not and how does anyone who hits the convert button get to know about it - other than frying the tweeters?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »

Set the conversion to 24/96 in the convert menu

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »

Tools → Options → Audio → Advanced → Configure Input Plug-in → DSD Input Plug-in

This is where you configure the DSD input filtering, selectable from:
  • Safe (24kHz @ 48 dB/octave
  • Medium (30kHz @ 24 dB/octave)
  • Permissive (50kHz @ 24 dB/octave)
  • Off (external low-pass strongly recommended)

Alternatively, you can disable the filter and apply a low-pass filter via the Parametric EQ during conversion if you wish to use something else, such as 30kHz @ 48dB/octave - which seemed to allow more high frequency content than the default "safe" filter, without including any of DSD's inherent noise as the "medium" filter does.

If you resample the file, Media Center's resampler will brickwall-filter the audio to prevent aliasing.
This can be used in addition to, or instead of the DSD input filter.

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:49:09 am »

Thank you for the interesting answers. However can someone please answer the question:

Does the DSD input filtering apply to the format convertor?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:27 am »

Does the DSD input filtering apply to the format convertor?

Yes.  Any decoding of DSD to PCM will honor the setting.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:53 am »

Are there other settings that apply to both playback and file converting? I believe the DSP Studio settings for playback and for file conversion are generally separate values. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I see, at least for Sample Rate on MC 19. Given that, should the headings on the menus be different - one DSP Studio - Playback and one DSP Studio - File Conversion? I initially thought the settings applied to both playback and to file conversion until I did some tests. Different headings would make the difference more obvious.

The DSD input filtering setting is buried so depth that one pretty much has to be directed as to where to find it. Would it be possible to move it up to the normal Audio settings level and maybe also put it into the DSP Studio screen? I think most people have no idea it is there, given the 5 levels down you have to go to find it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up