INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does JRiver gain affect line level voltage?  (Read 1829 times)

greyleopard

• Recent member
Does JRiver gain affect line level voltage?
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

I have auto on/off amplifiers triggered by .3 volts line level input.  I'm controlling these zones with Win 7, JRiver MC 18.  I cannot always depend on the amps to turn on when I start music in a specific zone.  Are any of the JRiver settings affecting in line level signal on the speaker out PC connectors?  What is the best configuration to use to ensure I hit the 3mV threshold?  I'd like to use internal volume as the amps don't have any remote control capabilities.  I've considered a rack mount gain booster, but wondered if setting the JRiver equalizer gain set to +12db will provide a voltage boost?  Does the volume control of JRiver or Windows, or Realtek have an on speaker out voltage?

Any thoughts?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Does JRiver gain affect line level voltage?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »

Analog line level volume = voltage.  If your amps are receiving a line-level analog signal from the computer, then higher volume is necessarily higher voltage.  However, the card has a maximum output voltage that corresponds to Digital Full Scale (0dB).  JRiver's volume control works in the digital domain, so if you just add boost in JRiver, you'll probably drive your music into clipping.  Your realtek can only output as much voltage as it can.

You quote a .3V threshold and a 3 mV threshold (which is .003V), and I'm not sure which one is the right one;  It seems like most computer audio would trip the second one;  the first one might be harder.  Most consumer PC soundcards max out (peak volume) at 2VRMS, so .3Vs would be something like -8dBFS (pretty high digital volume required). 

Realistically, you're probably better off getting a DAC/Soundcard with a "hotter" output or finding another way to trigger the amps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up