INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consolidate music using "Rename, Move, & Copy Files"  (Read 3973 times)

Pansatonic

• Recent member
Consolidate music using "Rename, Move, & Copy Files"
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:38 am »

Hi, i have audio tracks on different local places and now want to consolidate to one master "/Music" folder on a Nas.

"Various artist" albums audio files i want to store under "Album name" folder within the "Multiple Artist" folder, so it becomes "Nas/Music/Multiple Artist/Album name"

I use "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" auto function the check-box "Use '(Multiple Artists)' for [Artist] on multi-artist albums" and it works great. Except! where audio files are in different sources.

How can i consolidate from within JRiver?

How to replicate: take a various artist album, move some files into two folders. Then tell me how to consolidate into a common folder from within JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Consolidate music using "Rename, Move, & Copy Files"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:53:12 am »

You might find something useful in the wiki topic called "Moving Files".

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:55:48 am »

How to replicate: take a various artist album, move some files into two folders. Then tell me how to consolidate into a common folder from within JRiver.

This should not be a problem at all, as long as any tags used to create the filename's path are identical for all the files you want in the same album.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »

MC doesn't care where the files are as long as the tags are identical.  I tried splitting a compilation album into multiple folders (one for each artist), then RMC back to one folder and it works perfectly...

I suspect the files have one tag difference or something like that

Pansatonic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »

You might find something useful in the wiki topic called "Moving Files".

Wiki says
 "Using Library Tools, Rename Files from Properties, you can use the renaming to move your files."

I cant find "Rename Files from Properties" in the library tools...?

Pansatonic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:33 pm »

MC doesn't care where the files are as long as the tags are identical.

For sure JRiver cares...http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums

The tags are not identical of course, files are in different folders so [Filename (path)] Tag field is not the same because source files are not in the same directory...

"An album is considered complete if the following conditions are met:
all tracks are of [Media Type]=Audio
all tracks have exactly the same, non-empty [Album] value
all tracks are in the same folder - i.e. have the same value for the [Filename (path)] field
all tracks have sequential [Track #] values starting at 1
all tracks have the same, or sequentially increasing [Disc #] values (empty and 1 are considered the same)"

Pansatonic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

This should not be a problem at all, as long as any tags used to create the filename's path are identical for all the files you want in the same album.

Well if source files [Filename (path)] Tag field are not the same it does not work, this is written in the wiki.

Pansatonic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:35:56 am »

Bump...

Can it be done from within JRiver?

Forget about it being a Multiple Artist Album. Just moving two files with different source folders into one common folder from within JRiver?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 12:30:37 pm »

for what you are asking, MC doesn't care where the files are!

the trick is in creating the view properly.  for example (and i just did this to verify it all):  i have a split album with ash borer and fell voices, each one track.  i want to consolidate into a single album (multiple artists) - ash borer vs. fell voices - split EP.  for this i put the ash borer track on N: and the fell voices track on Z: (note: both locations must be imported into MC!)

i found both the tracks in an "all music browse" view scheme, select them both (ctrl click).  tag as you like...in this case album artist = (Multiple Artists) and all the genre, album, etc tags should match each other

then choose RMC, and select your parameters...in this case i choose
base path = I:\incoming\
rule: [album artist (auto)]\[album]\year

when i press OK, both files appear in a folder titled I:\incoming\(multiple artists)\ash borer vs. fell voices split EP\2010

note that i've used 3 different locations (N, I, and Z) and MC puts them all right where i want them, in the folders that i want them!  this trick will work for any amount or type of files that you want...

the trick is to create the view scheme that allows you to easily find all the files, as they must be manually selected.  when i did some cleaning of my library i made a custom tag called [fix], then tagged all the files i wanted to see with [fix]=1, then made a view to easily see only those files.

MC only cares where the actual files are ([filepath]) in certain situations, like calling an album "complete"...only an album in a single folder can be called "complete" for example.

Pansatonic

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:56:28 pm »

Thank you for your detailed reply!

What was confusing to me is that the Album Artist auto value gets "(Multiple Artists)" auto if album is complete, if album is not complete the Album Artist auto value must manually be set by writing "(Multiple Artists)" in the Album Artist tag (like you wrote).

Why i did not just set (multiple artists) tag in all mixed Album Artist tag manually and used that in the rule like [album artist]\[album]\ i don't know... Its always simpler then you think haha.

All good!

Thx!
Pages: [1]   Go Up