INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues connecting MAC/JRiver to PS Audio PWD DAC  (Read 2423 times)

TomH

Issues connecting MAC/JRiver to PS Audio PWD DAC
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:55 am »

I went through the posted procedure to set up JRiver on a Mac mini to PWD MK2 with bridge and ran ino issues.  Basically I ran a direct connection between my Mac mini and PWD MK2 with bridge using CAT6 cable (no router involved). I manually set the IP and subnet address between the Mac and PS DAC, which works fine and I know they are communicating.  When selecting “original” I get no sound. However, when selecting “Specified output format” instead sound comes through fine. My guess is that the setting you recommend is “bit perfect” while the other is not because with the later setting I do not have volume control options, nor do do I have playback options available. Further, the audiopath says “not using JRiver audio engine”. Can you help me rectify this. One suggestion was to use a "cross over cable" instead of the regular CAT6 which I am using, although I do not necessarily see why that would matter. 

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues connecting MAC/JRiver to PS Audio PWD DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:01:15 am »

What format are the files you're playing?  I'm not familiar with the use of this DAC, do you install their driver and then select go into Options / Audio / Audio Device and select that driver for your output zone in Media Center?  Then, unless you want to send DSD direct to the DAC, I assume you're leaving "Bitstreaming" at "None".  Then you should be able to leave "output format" unchecked so the original data goes to the DAC.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

TomH

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:41:12 am »

Files are mostly wma type (ripped CDs on PC).  PS Audio Perfect Wave mk2 DAC does not require a driver with OS X operating systems (according to maufacturer).  The DAC shows up in the "Playing Now" list and it also shows up in the "Zone to configure" in the "Play Back Options" tab.  What is shown in that field however says "Configure audio using Options>Median Netwok>Add or configure DLNA servers".   I have the "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" highlighted and under the "Audio" the options are Mode>Specific output format and for Format>PCM 24 bit.  I simply just can not chose the Audio option "original" and get any sound to stream to the DAC.  Another thing, in the Sounds setting in the Settings Preferences of the Mac Mini the only device options I get is "Internal Speakers" and "VMM26F10I" no other devices. 

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:50:23 am »

Does the PWD MK2 handle WMA format?  If so, I wonder if it's not recognizing a mime type that we send it over DLNA.  One thing you could try is going into the "Add or configure DLNA servers..." option window, select your "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" if that's what you're using, and under the "Advanced" options, uncheck the DLNAExtra flag to see if it helps.

Of course selecting an output format of PCM 24 bit will give you the absolute full quality available from the WMA file so you won't be losing anything.  When you select to use the original format, Media Center just sends the file contents over the wire without running the data through our audio engine.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up