INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing adds duplicate copies of songs  (Read 4961 times)

Cheezmo

• Recent member
Syncing adds duplicate copies of songs
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:35:40 am »

I have things set up as follows.

Music library is all in Apple Lossless Format
The Pono is set up to sync a single playlist.  The Sync options are set to convert to FLAC (so that the Pono will honor ReplayGain values).

First sync works fine, but after completing, shows that all the songs are "in queue".  Sure enough syncing a second time converts to flac and copies the songs onto the Pono again so that there are now two copies.

Combination of this bug and the one where syncing doesn't delete songs no longer in the playlist makes syncing completely unusable for me.  I have to manually delete all the songs from the Pono, then copy the playlist over again every time I change the playlist.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Syncing adds duplicate copies of songs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:31:39 am »

Thanks for the report, we are investigating.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

WFM

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »

same issue - PC player now has duplicates of all that was synced to handheld - Pono player - noticed that the dups are in two different file folders so I'll try to delete one set and see if that avoids me having to delete via player interface one by one - may have something to do with the initial problem I had recognizing the handheld - perhaps wound up with two instances of the handheld and hence the dups

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 05:12:29 pm »

I just delete by selecting everything on the player in the Pono World application and right click-> delete.

Then I recheck sync and sync again. No fun for large playlists since it means copying the entire playlist over every time I make a change.

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:11:16 pm »

Thanks for the report, we are investigating.

How is the investigation going?

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 01:02:38 pm »

I too just resynced "My Device" which I assumed would rescan my whole computer and once again I have freshly made duplicates in my iTunes folders. Since I spent days getting rid of duplicates that PonoWorld seems to have created in December, it's beyond frustrating. I have no idea if it's user error or software error. My ponofiles thankfully did not get messed up but here I am again with 2,3 or 4 copies of songs. My 7000 iTunes have grown to 20000. What does SYNC actually do? Is it supposed to create and move files or simply list what is on my computer? If I click delete in "My Device" is that the same as clear library, meaning non-destructive? I am becoming afraid of using PW. And should I mention the freeze ups?

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »

No improvement in my scenario with 20.0.72 (release notes didn't mention any syncing fixes so wasn't expecting any).

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »

No improvement in my scenario with 20.0.72 (release notes didn't mention any syncing fixes so wasn't expecting any).
Hope to have improvements in syncing in the next build (20.0.76 or higher).

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:14:36 am »

20.0.83 looks to have resolved this.  Thanks!

I think the sync process should delete first, then add new files, otherwise an almost full device would be a problem.

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »

I have found one issue with "Recheck Sync" recopying files to the Pono that are already there (resulting in multiple copies such that multiple syncs will keep adding more).

The artist name is ".38 Special".  I'm guessing that the leading "." in the Artist name (and hence in the folder name PonoMusicWorld create on the Pono) results in that folder not being seen when rechecking sync, since folders/files that start with "." are usually invisible.  iTunes avoided that by creating folder named "_38 Special" replacing leading "."'s with "_"'s.  You may want to do something similar as many operating systems treat files/folders with leading .'s as invisible.

After a few syncs, I end up with this...

XXXXX:Wild-Eyed Southern Boys YYYYYYY$ ls
01 Hold On Loosely (1).flac   02 First Time Around.flac   08 Throw Out the Line (2).flac   09 Bring It On (4).flac
01 Hold On Loosely (2).flac   04 Back Alley Sally (1).flac   08 Throw Out the Line.flac   09 Bring It On.flac
01 Hold On Loosely.flac      04 Back Alley Sally (2).flac   09 Bring It On (1).flac
02 First Time Around (1).flac   04 Back Alley Sally.flac   09 Bring It On (2).flac
02 First Time Around (2).flac   08 Throw Out the Line (1).flac   09 Bring It On (3).flac

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:00 am »

Thanks for the report.  It has been fixed for the next build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up