INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Import Problem  (Read 3812 times)

jrjmpls

• Recent member
Help with Import Problem
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:04:51 pm »

I have one CD where all but one tracks are imported as one cd. But the first track shows as a difference cd with only one track. When I look at the directory with these tracks they all look the same to me.
How do I get it to import all tracks into one cd?

jrjmpls

• Recent member
Re: Help with Import Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:07:10 am »

Please, does anyone know how to fix this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:39:41 am »

Try editing the Album Artist and Name tags.

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

This software needs some serious fixing. I imported about 25 cds. Two of them have one track that shows up as a separate album. I have checked the tags and they all say the correct album, but they do not show up that way.
And now I ripped a two-disc set. The first disc shows up properly with all tracks showing in one album and the coverart obtained from the internet properly. But the second disc has EVERY track showing up as a separate CD. And there is no coverart for most  tracks but one track has coverart that is not correct.
HOW DO I FIX THESE PROBLEMS? THIS SOFTWARE IS USELESS LIKE THIS!! This software isn't cheap. Where is the support? I can see no way to get support other than this forum. And I had to ask twice to get any response at all. HOW DO I GET SOMEONE AT JRiver TO TELL ME HOW TO FIX THESE ISSUES?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

HOW DO I FIX THESE PROBLEMS? THIS SOFTWARE IS USELESS LIKE THIS!! HOW DO I GT SOMEONE AT JRiver TO RESPOND TO THESE ISSUES?

JimH (who posted immediately above your post) is the CEO of JRiver, and he answered your question:  

Try editing the Album Artist and Name tags.

You need to edit the Album Artist tag so that it's the same for all tracks.  Then they will show up together.  You can edit it before or after ripping.

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

I edited the tags and the tracks are still separate. THAT DOESN'T WORK!

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:22 am »

And now I ripped the disc that shows a different album for each track. THE ALBUM NAMES ARE THE SAME IN THE TAGS!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:20 am »

I edited the tags and the tracks are still separate. THAT DOESN'T WORK!

Which specific tags did you edit?  Take us through what you tried step by step.  

Make sure to check the tags on each file of the album to make sure you changed the correct tags on all of them.  To show up together each file must have the same thing in the tags: "Album" and "Album Artist" (e.g. for Dark Side of the Moon, all files would have to have "Dark Side of the Moon" for Album and "Pink Floyd" for Album Artist).  You might want to check "Date" as well.  Please note that "Album Artist" is not the same tag as "Artist."

Have a look at the wiki for more info:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Using_Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums

And now I ripped the disc that shows a different album for each track. THE ALBUM NAMES ARE THE SAME IN THE TAGS!

As noted above, the Album tag alone is not enough, you also have to edit the distinct "Album Artist" tag which is what JimH suggested.

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:47 am »

These are multiple artist cds. Are you telling me I have to remove the artist from each track and replace it with [Varies}. Doesn't make sense to me. And why doesn't it import/rip properly in the first place?

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:56 am »

s noted above, the Album tag alone is not enough, you also have to edit the distinct "Album Artist" tag which is what JimH suggested.

I have no idea what an "Album Artist" tag is. The only thing I see when I edit tags is "Artist".

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:21 am »

These are multiple artist cds. Are you telling me I have to remove the artist from each track and replace it with [Varies}. Doesn't make sense to me.

The "Album Artist" and "Artist" tags are different tags.  The Album Artist tag has to be the same, but the Artist tag can vary.

So the Album Artist tag for each file could read "Multiple Artists," but the Artist tag for each file could have the track's actual artist.

So "Album" and "Album Artist" need to be the same, but "Artist" can vary.

And why doesn't it import/rip properly in the first place?

Internet tag sources are rarely perfect; manual tag editing is sometimes necessary when ripping CDs no matter what software you use (I've ripped thousands of CDs using four or five different software solutions over the years and never found one that didn't involve some tag editing).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:54:53 am »

s noted above, the Album tag alone is not enough, you also have to edit the distinct "Album Artist" tag which is what JimH suggested.

I have no idea what an "Album Artist" tag is. The only thing I see when I edit tags is "Artist".

When you open the tag window, look in the upper left hand corner.  There is a little drop down menu there.  Select "Show all Tags" or scroll down to "also show" and select "Album Artist."

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:27:41 pm »

Ripped another multiple artist cd and it shows as a separate album for each track. THE ALBUM NAMES ARE THE SAME. Why don't the rip properly and how do I fix?

When I look at the hard drive I see that it has created a folder for each artist with the track under that folder. This isn't right. MC shouldn't be doing this.

jrjmpls

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »

OK I found the album artist field and that fixed the separate tracks showing as albumns. Now how do I get the disk I just ripped corrected on the hard drive. Each track has it's own directory and they should all be together under the multiple artist directory.

Also, why do I have directories labeled Various and  various artists? Should everything with multiple artists be under the (Multiple Artists) directory?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 04:08:48 pm »

OK I found the album artist field and that fixed the separate tracks showing as albumns. Now how do I get the disk I just ripped corrected on the hard drive. Each track has it's own directory and they should all be together under the multiple artist directory.

Also, why do I have directories labeled Various and  various artists? Should everything with multiple artists be under the (Multiple Artists) directory?

Have a look at the "Rename, Move, and Copy" tool for getting things set up on your hard drive.  You can use the tags to move them to the correct spots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up