INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 - CD & DVD Importing: Audio CD naming on import  (Read 879 times)

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
MJ8 - CD & DVD Importing: Audio CD naming on import
« on: January 22, 2002, 05:03:22 am »

Why can't MJ 8.0 name imported CDs something logical/useful (like the CD's actual name) instead of the generic Audio CD (1), Audio CD (2), etc.?

I've seen a few others ask the same question, but never seen a JRiver response to this.  Seems like an Options Rule for CD and DVD auto-importing would be nice (like ARTIST-ALBUM, ALBUM, etc.) and easy to implement (sence MJ knows this information from the CDDB lookup).

So, why Audio CD (1) naming?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:MJ8 - CD & DVD Importing: Audio CD naming on import
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 08:29:38 am »

The reason is that MJ maps the volume ID to a name before it analyzes the disk at all. (before it knows an artist or album)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 08:47:40 am »

Bummer...

I know you guys can 'fix' this and realize the lameness of the Audio CD (xx) naming.

Even a simple right-click menu option to auto-rename based on a rule and the known information about the imported CD would do for now (better than having to type in the information).  I think some folks were looking forward to using MJ to catalog hundreds/thousands of CDs in their personal collection.  But, having to manually type in a name for each imported CD would be a real pain and prone to typos.

Harry the Hipster

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 03:48:00 pm »

Dunno why MJ defaults to that anonymous naming protocol - Matt's explanation is all we've got for the moment.

I had the same problem/concern, stated in another thread. I got out of it by right clicking on the CD&DVD node, selecting 'edit view scheme', electing CD&DVD in the view display window at the top, then deleting the default naming protocol and inserting 'artist' and 'album as a naming protocol, in that order. When I closed/reopened,each sub-node (or whatever) was renamed for the lead artist, with each album listed under his/her name extended out beneath that in a sub-tree.

Not quite as easy as going there directly, but once I made that change, it seems to stick through subsequent builds.

Hope this is responsive.

HTH

ZRocker

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 04:13:09 am »

Thanks HTH!!

That works great...seems like MJ 8.0 install should default to Artist & Album instead of the current Volume Name (not very friendly).
Pages: [1]   Go Up