INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRSS Upmixing - is there any plans for object based upmixing  (Read 3135 times)

prerich

• Junior Woodchuck
JRSS Upmixing - is there any plans for object based upmixing
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

With the advent of Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D and other object based formats, is there any plan for JRiver to develop an object based upmix for JRSS? Seeing that some of these formats offer VST's for upmixing stereo and multi-channel content to that of object based content, it would be cool to see JRiver attempt something along this line.  Just asking a question, or better yet - trying to throw a hint :D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: JRSS Upmixing - is there any plans for object based upmixing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:27 am »

I'm really happy with the upmixing in JRSS.  I think it's killer.  Just my two cents of course.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:16 am »

There is no such thing as object based upmixing. Object based means that specific sounds have been designed to be in specific room locations and will scale to what speakers you have available.

The upmixing done by Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro 3D from legacy two channel and multi-channel content just fills the extra channels but is not object based. You can do the same in JRiver by using JRSS to upmix to 8 channels and then use the PEQ and Mix Channels to combine other channels as necessary. For example, if you want an overhead channel, you could mix the side surrounds together for the overhead "Voice of God" speaker. This is really all that the other upmixers are doing. If you want two overhead speakers side by side over the main seating area you could mix more of the left surround to the left overhead and more of the right surround to the right overhead speaker. JRiver's Mix Channels is flexible enough to accommodate just about any layout. 

Matt, I agree that JRSS upmixing is the best. What some people want now is upmixing to more channels than 8. I don't think it really makes a lot of sense in a home theater, though. Since Atmos and Auro 3D use completely different speaker layouts for channels in excess of 8 channels, I don't see how JRSS could be made to work with these layouts. Maybe you could come up with some 10 or 12 channel upmix with JRSS following the Atmos layout just to make it easy for people. However, not many people even have multi-channel DAC's with more than 8 channels.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »

I have two 11.1 systems in my home. For both, I use HDMI out from HTPCs running JRSS upmixing to 7.1. This signal goes to an AVR which then further upmixes to 11.1 (7.1 plus two wide front channels and two high front channels), using DTS-Neo:X. It sounds great to me, and better than using the AVR to do all the upmixing for stereo and 5.1 sources.

As an aside:
Am I right in assuming that JRSS doesn't do much when set to 7.1 if there in fact 7.1 channels encoded in the source material?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:33 pm »

Am I right in assuming that JRSS doesn't do much when set to 7.1 if there in fact 7.1 channels encoded in the source material?

It doesn't do anything then.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:45:25 pm »

It doesn't do anything then.

Excellent. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

prerich

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:55:50 pm »

There is no such thing as object based upmixing. Object based means that specific sounds have been designed to be in specific room locations and will scale to what speakers you have available.

The upmixing done by Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro 3D from legacy two channel and multi-channel content just fills the extra channels but is not object based. You can do the same in JRiver by using JRSS to upmix to 8 channels and then use the PEQ and Mix Channels to combine other channels as necessary. For example, if you want an overhead channel, you could mix the side surrounds together for the overhead "Voice of God" speaker. This is really all that the other upmixers are doing. If you want two overhead speakers side by side over the main seating area you could mix more of the left surround to the left overhead and more of the right surround to the right overhead speaker. JRiver's Mix Channels is flexible enough to accommodate just about any layout. 

Matt, I agree that JRSS upmixing is the best. What some people want now is upmixing to more channels than 8. I don't think it really makes a lot of sense in a home theater, though. Since Atmos and Auro 3D use completely different speaker layouts for channels in excess of 8 channels, I don't see how JRSS could be made to work with these layouts. Maybe you could come up with some 10 or 12 channel upmix with JRSS following the Atmos layout just to make it easy for people. However, not many people even have multi-channel DAC's with more than 8 channels.
Mojave...You're the greatest!!!! Oh and my next purchase is the Motu 16A. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up