INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: conversion of DFF file to DSF  (Read 3682 times)

rjkamsma

• Recent member
conversion of DFF file to DSF
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:17 am »

When I choose an album containing DFF files and convert these in Media Center to DSD I get in the left channel a whistling sound like slightly mistuning on an old analog FM tuner. What mistake do I make? Any suggestions?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: conversion of DFF file to DSF
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:41:11 am »

Is it possible that you have disabled the input filter for DSD? That would mean you're getting twice the ultrasonic noise in the file, since DFF to DSF is a conversion in Media Center.

However I recommend that you do not use Media Center for this, since it's doing a DSD>PCM>DSD conversion.
The convert to DSF tool is really for converting PCM to DSF, not for converting DFF to DSF.

rjkamsma

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:38:41 am »

thanks

dean70

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »

However I recommend that you do not use Media Center for this, since it's doing a DSD>PCM>DSD conversion.
The convert to DSF tool is really for converting PCM to DSF, not for converting DFF to DSF.

Really?? If you convert SACD ISO to DSF, does it go through a PCM conversion first? I do this to split out a multi-channel hybrid SACD ISO into separate Stereo/MCH files so there is no stutter.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »

Really?? If you convert SACD ISO to DSF, does it go through a PCM conversion first? I do this to split out a multi-channel hybrid SACD ISO into separate Stereo/MCH files so there is no stutter.
Yes, it is a lossy conversion.
You should either convert to PCM (if you need to avoid the heavy CPU usage during playback) or leave them as ISO.

There are command-line tools which can split an ISO to DFF, and then others which will convert that DFF to DSF, but that just seems like a lot of hassle to me when MC can play SACD ISO natively and tag them within its library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up