INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files disappearing from Synology server redux  (Read 3307 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
Files disappearing from Synology server redux
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:33:35 am »

Apologies for exhuming an apparently closed topic, but the Glynor post doesn't seem to apply in my case.

I'm using the 1513+, 5 bay/ 4Tb Drives, Raid redundant array. The Diskstation monitor shows all drives are in good health, and there is lots of available space. My Library is stored on the C Drive, virtually all music is on the Diskstation. I use a root music folder, a series of date specific subfolders and below them the sub/sub folders that actually hold the files. (I use dated folders for rips or d/ls within a given time period.)

Starting 3-4 months ago, I began noticing that files had disappeared from the Synology. At first, this seemed limited to a specific time period.  Now, it appears much more random, although by and large the problem is worst with d/ls or rips starting in approximately May of this year. When I go to the dated subfolder in question through Explorer, I can find the subfolder where the files should be, and a number of sub/sub folders with files within them remain in place, but there's no trace of the missing files or the folders in which they were originally located. I've even used the start/search process to see if they're located elsewhere, but come up empty. I back up my library after each day of usage

I did set up recycle folder for my Music folder, as was previously suggested in the Synology forum. (I have 4 root folders - music; photos; video; and shared (or miscellaneous). There's no sign of them there. As noted, all music is stored in sub/subfolders within the Music root folder.

I'm scrambling to recover lost files by redownloading them where I can, but I'd like to know how to halt the process and if possible restore the files that I've lost. I'd appreciate any help that users or staff can provide. Let me know if more information would b e helpful.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Re: Files disappearing from Synology server redux
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:55 am »

could there be another computer having access to your file server, that is deleting your files?
Have you tried limiting permissions for your music?
Worth a try.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »

Thnx ken-tajalli but remote control of the library is not enabled.

I'm simultaneously watching the Synology and other audio forums to see if anyone else is reporting this behavior.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:53:59 pm »

Are you using their latest firmware?

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:34:41 am »

Are other applications accessing / cataloguing the files?

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago when iTunes and jriver were accessing the same media files.  I thought the issue was a result of iTunes believing something was wrong with a file & deleting it.

I ended up re-ripping my entire collection as FLAC (which I had intended to do) & created a virtual handheld device to convert all files to MP3s into a location used by iTunes.  As soon as this was complete I've never had another issue with missing files.  I never took the time to confirm root cause

if Win 7 or newer you can turn on auditing for file deletion, however not sure if it will track deletions on the NAS nor have I ever done it

regards,

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up