INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the neatest way?  (Read 1776 times)

sikm

• Recent member
What's the neatest way?
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »

I have a number of shows that run over multiple discs.

I'll use Frasier as an example. If I rip all the discs to the library (as ISOs) and label them Frasier season 6 disc 1, 2, 3 etc then I get a separate entry for each disc.

Ideally I'd like the library to show Just Frasier season 6 (or even just Frasier and have all the seasons under that one heading).

I'm sure there's probably a way to do this using tags but I just haven't hit on the right method yet.

Any suggestions?

Simon

Sod's law works again. I posted this then had a thought, looked at the tags and saw .....wait for it.......Disc# !!!

I think that will satisfy my requirement but would still appreciate any comments/suggestions.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What's the neatest way?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:14 pm »

Typically TV shows are viewed by Series-->Season-->Episode.
When in disc form, it's easiest to assign multiple episodes to each disc.

An example of tag fields you could use for a season of Frasier:
1st disc
Series:Frasier, Season:01, Episode:01-05
2nd disc
Series:Frasier, Season:01, Episode:06-10
3rd disc
Series:Frasier, Season:01, Episode:11-15

There are a few ways to get the values into the fields: Manually, tag on import, fill properties, carnac, etc.

If you want to use scrapers to get info for each episode, you can use particles first.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »

I'd strongly urge you to rip episodes to MKVs (or whatever) instead of as full-disc ISOs.  Between MakeMKV and mkvmerge, this is usually pretty easy to do with no recompression or quality loss.

You'll have a much better experience if you rip them this way.  MC's metadata system will work best if it can treat each episode as a unique "file".  You can work around it if needed, with particles and advanced features, but those are advanced features best suited to someone experienced with the application and the implications.

If you can rip them so each episode is ripped to a separate file (just as you would in most cases with an album with individual songs), you'll have the best results.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sikm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:18:29 am »

Many thanks, lots to get stuck into.

sikm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »

Extra thanks to Glynor for informing me about MakeMKV. What a neat piece of software ISOs are now a thing of the past. Thanks again.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:32 am »

Since your just getting starting with this, I recommend you tag your files according to the JRiver recommended method:

The syntax for the file name is: Series_name.SxxEyy.Episode_name.File_extension where xx is the Season number and yy is the Episode number, e.g. Frasier.S01E01.The Good Son.mkv. Episode_name is optional as this and other metadata will be downloaded from tvdb.com.

See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Shows_-_Series,_Seasons_%26_Episodes for more information.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 07:34:49 am »

You don't have to bother typing in the episode title.  MC will look that up as long as it knows the Series name and episode and season numbers.  It will recognize lots of naming formats, but something like this would be good:  Homeland-S4E10.mkv

If you're not sure which episode is which, you can tag the Episode numbers afterwards in MC, and then run the Get Movie & TV Info command on them and it will look them up again.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:36 am »

You don't have to bother typing in the episode title. 
True - as stated above from the Wiki. But it does make it easier for a human to manage the files. IMO

but something like this would be good:  Homeland-S4E10.mkv

But if you replace the "-" with a "." you are following the recommended procedure in the Wiki. I  know it doesn't really matter -- but why not follow the recommendation since someone took the time to write it? Plus if everyone were more uniform on their setups, it would make helping/troubleshooting easier I think.

Just my 2 cents. But I also recognize that your the expert on this stuff. :)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:21 pm »

Not wanting to side track this too much but why are danywayots or dashes required anyway?

I use spaces and MC & Carnac manager fine.

I find titles with spaces are more readable as well. When was the last time you read a newspaper, report, web page or forum post connected with dots between each word?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:56 pm »

But if you replace the "-" with a "." you are following the recommended procedure in the Wiki. I  know it doesn't really matter -- but why not follow the recommendation since someone took the time to write it? Plus if everyone were more uniform on their setups, it would make helping/troubleshooting easier I think.

That recommendation was written by NickF, who didn't work for JRiver (EDIT: I originally thought it was Nathan, but it was actually Nick and then Nathan later reformatted it slightly). I think he just pulled it out of his nether regions.  There was certainly no "consensus".  He just liked periods.  I tend not to because it can confuse people over filename extensions.  Most of the other default naming conventions in MC use dashes, which is why I picked that.

Dashes, spaces, etc don't matter.  In fact, the filename itself only matters long enough to get the files into MC, and then you can use Rename, Move, and Copy Files to file them away with whatever naming convention you want.

Carnac is really pretty smart, and it'll recognize a wide variety of naming conventions.  The main thing is that you want them to come in with these three pieces of information:
* Series name
* Season number
* Episode number

After that, MC will automatically look up everything else, so anything else you spend time typing manually is a huge waste of time.  That's all I meant.

PS.  I miss NickF.  Very sad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up