INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When using Rename, Move & Copy Files, cover art disappears  (Read 2145 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
When using Rename, Move & Copy Files, cover art disappears
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:41 am »

Hi,

As I mentioned in the .58 and .59 threads (which are both outdated and locked now), when I move and rename a newly imported video file using the Rename, Move & Copy Files dialog (F6), the video file itself gets moved and renamed, but the cover art image file only gets moved, but not renamed, resulting in the cover art disappearing from the library. Even after renaming it, I have to re-attach it using Cover Art - Add from File to get it to show up. (After renaming the image file, it appears when I hover over the file in Standard View, but isn't visible in the views, in Standard View nor Theater View.)

It has been like this at least since 20.0.50, which was my first MC 20 version. It worked in MC 19.

I've so far only tried this getting cover art for TV-series episodes using Get Movie & TV Info. For my movies, i always have to get the cover art manually using Google Images, since I want the covers to be from the format I import, like the Blu-ray cover if I import a Blu-ray movie.

I do have to use the Get Movie & TV Info to get the correct episode name before I move and rename the video files, because I want the episode name as the filename on disk.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

CountryBumkin

Re: When using Rename, Move & Copy Files, cover art disappears
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »

Can you expand a little on what you are doing? It sounds like you have a movie such as "Movie1.mkv" with cover art "Movie1.jpg" and you are renaming it to "Movie2.mkv" and moving it to a new folder; the cover art moves with the movie file to then new folder but the cover art name stays as "movie1.jpg".

Is this description of your problem correct? Are you doing all of this work (moving/renaming) on the "Server" and not a "Client" machine?

audunth

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »

Yes that is a correct description. Whenever I import new files, I first put them in a folder called New so that I am in control of which files I haven't imported yet. Then I import, get data from TVDB with correct episode names, then I rename the video files and at the same time move them into the appropriate folder/disk (for example series name - season number/episode number - episode name.mkv). This has always worked flawlessly in version 19, with cover art and external subtitle files getting moved AND renamed together with the video files.

I am using only one standalone HTPC. All disks are internal hard drives. It runs as a server only so I can access my library with my Samsung Smart TV in my bedroom in the other end of the house through DLNA and my Android phones/tablets though Gizmo.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »

+1. Seeing the same issue as well. Using MC 20.115. Also, this worked as expected in MC19

Rename is not renaming covert art or the sidecar xml files.

I can add covert art after it is renamed and then update update tags from library and the the xml file gets created to match the source video file name.

In both cases I still have the old cover art and sidecar file saved in the folder with the different filename, basically useless.

Has there been an option that has been added that now needs to be checked or is this a bug?

TIA,

AL

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:28:09 pm »

The issue a few of you are running into is likely a result of some unexpected behavior from the "Move all files in folder" box.  I know it sounds counterintuitive, but uncheck that box and your video moves will work correctly.

When you move video files with the "Move all files in folder" box checked, MC sweeps up all the files in the folder and moves them along with the media files, but without renaming anything other than the video files

When you move video files without the "Move all files in folder" box checked, MC moves and renames the media files, but also moves and renames JRiver created sidecars and cover art because MC keeps tabs on files that it created.  As a result, moving video files with the box unchecked generally moves and renames the media files, the sidecars, and the cover art and there's typically no breakage (although any other files in the folder will obviously not be moved).

I know that sounds backwards, but those of you seeing the cover art being moved but not renamed, try the move with the box unchecked and you'll see what I mean. it's easy to work around once you know the deal. 

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 05:30:14 pm »

That makes sense.

Thank you for the explanation.

Lots of changes in MC20 that I am not used to yet.

Appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up