INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When exporting a Playlist to iTunes - FLAC doesn't get included  (Read 7897 times)

PeterGregg

• Recent member
When exporting a Playlist to iTunes - FLAC doesn't get included
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:31:55 am »

I made a playlist and exported to iTunes. Any file that was a FLAC didn't come with it. I tried to search what to do but have not found any info. Can someone suggest where to read on how to handles this?

peter

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: When exporting a Playlist to iTunes - FLAC doesn't get included
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:10:17 pm »

You need to convert files to ALAC lossless to play in iTunes and iDevices. They don't support FLAC.

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:23:30 pm »

Reviving this thread.... has there been any feature discussion about enhancing the Export to iTunes feature with auto conversion of any FLAC files to ALAC?  Basically, JRiver would keep a folder outside the main library called "ALAC Copies".   The Export to iTunes feature, when it encounters a FLAC file, creates a copy and converts it into ALAC and places it in the ALAC Copies folder.  Then when the Export happens, iTunes can see all the files--- it's just the ALAC copies are always in this other directory ALAC Copies.

Curious what the experts here think about this type of approach.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:46:57 am »

What you're asking for essentially already exists.  The tool is called Handheld Sync.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Handheld Sync can do on the fly file conversions and I believe maintains a cache of these converted files also.  Handheld Sync is driven by playlists.  You can make a playlist of EVERYTHING if that's what you want.  When you set up Sync, you can specify what format these playlists should be in.  So you can choose a playlist format that will allow itunes to import your files easily.

Play with it and see what you come up with.

Brian.

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:33:09 am »

What you're asking for essentially already exists.  The tool is called Handheld Sync.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Handheld Sync can do on the fly file conversions and I believe maintains a cache of these converted files also.  Handheld Sync is driven by playlists.  You can make a playlist of EVERYTHING if that's what you want.  When you set up Sync, you can specify what format these playlists should be in.  So you can choose a playlist format that will allow itunes to import your files easily.

Play with it and see what you come up with.

Brian.

BLGentry-- from a workflow POV, what is the simplest way to accomplish this?    What directory should I define as the "target handheld"?  Any random directory, or the actual directory that iTunes manages?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:25:30 am »

Good question.  I don't use itunes at all any more.  More importantly, I'm not sure how itunes imports files, other than explicitly telling it to import a folder.  I *think* it has a monitored folder, where it will move (or maybe copy?) new files into it's library.  Which seems clunky.

I would think that a playlist based approach, where you told itunes to import a playlist of files that you had created in a directory structure would be the best, but I haven't tested it.  Glynor, a member here who's very active and knowledgeable, has done something very similar to this for his itunes syncs I believe.  He's on vacation right now.  Maybe he'll have comments when he returns.  Or maybe others have comments.

There's also a dedicated itunes sync tool, maintained by a 3rd party... Oh here it is:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

Good luck to you.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:47:26 am »

I use:

1. a Handheld Sync to a virtual device (folder) which converts my entire Library to iTunes-friendly formats (passes through those that are already compatible, and converts those that are not)
2. prod's MCiS tool with its iTunes File Key feature to re-point the files at this folder

Both of the above run automatically on a recurring basis daily.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dseeger

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:53:17 am »

How did you managed it to snc also the playlists. With sync handheld flacs are sync fine to my itunes folder, but no playlists are showing up?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:18 pm »

MCiS does that for you, and if you set it up right, it automatically handles translating the original source files (from MC) into the converted MP3 files (or ALAC or whatever) for iTunes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

MCiS does that for you, and if you set it up right, it automatically handles translating the original source files (from MC) into the converted MP3 files (or ALAC or whatever) for iTunes.

Are you maintaining a complete copy of your entire library in a separate location?
Pages: [1]   Go Up