INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC locks up playing audio  (Read 1638 times)

thompsoncd

PC locks up playing audio
« on: December 24, 2014, 01:20:12 am »

I have been running 20.0.47 and my Windows 7 PC keeps locking up.  It will continue to play the music, but I cannot do anything other than do a hard reset.

This lockup only happens when I'm using MC.

Will any of the upgrades since .47 address this?

Cole

thompsoncd

Re: PC locks up playing audio
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:05 am »

Ever since installing MC20 my entire system locks up and I must do a hard reboot. I don't have any plug-ins or skins, am running Windows 7 and only use MC to play FLAC files.

I logged the last crash and the instructions in MC say to email it to JRiver, but I cannot find any way to do this. They don't seen to have any tech support, only this forum.

Right now my options seem to be to user MC19 or go to another player altogether.

Any other ideas? Any recommendations on another player?

Cole

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:59:35 am »

The wiki has a topic on logging.

Are you using a NAS drive?

Let it run.  Don't kill the process.

Turn off auto import.

You've referred to it as both a hang (lockup) and a crash.  With a hang, the program becomes unresponsive.  With a crash, it exits suddenly without any user action.  I assume you mean a hang.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:02:50 am »

I merged your previous post.

thompsoncd

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:35 pm »

When MC crashes it keeps playing music but it will not respond. In fact no program other will respond either and Windows will not respond. I cannot bring up the Task Manager.  I cannot kill any program or process. I cannot switch program. I cannot even reboot.

The only solution at that point is to do a hard reboot.

I turned on the MC logging but so what? I now have a log file that went through a crash but what do I do with it?

As I stated, the MC help it says to send it to JRiver, but I cannot find any way to contact them to request support.

Cole

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

As I stated, the MC help it says to send it to JRiver, but I cannot find any way to contact them to request support.

JimH, the person you've been talking to, is the CEO of JRiver.  You've contacted them.

When MC crashes it keeps playing music but it will not respond. In fact no program other will respond either and Windows will not respond. I cannot bring up the Task Manager.  I cannot kill any program or process. I cannot switch program. I cannot even reboot.

Windows does not give Media Center, as a user-space application, the capability to do that to your computer.  What this means is that a hardware fault has occurred or a driver has crashed.

Drivers can do that, but MC cannot.  MC can only use the drivers, and they're supposed to do what they're supposed to do.  Yours are not for some reason.

It is possible the driver you have installed for some device on your computer is buggy.  This is most likely the audio device, since using the audio device triggers the problem.  Here are some resources you can use to track down drivers for many common components:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Drivers

It is also possible that there is something physically wrong with your computer.  This could be one of a variety of components failing or overheating.  Again, however, if using the Audio device for playback triggers it, then I'd look there first.

Lastly, it is possible that you have malware installed on your computer that is operating inside the kernel of Windows, and is crashing or locking you out of the computer.  This is probably the least likely of the three scenarios I mentioned, but worth bringing up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:38 am »

If you wait, it will respond, but it may take a little while.
I have seen this too.
In my experience, this happens when you are searching through a new folder with lots of tracks in.
If you import that folder into the library first, then it won't lock up.
Perhaps MC20 is going through the tracks or folder to analyze something, not sure.
Try importing the folder into library first, then see if it locks up.
I believe MC20 hoggs windows explorer while it is going through a new folder, so the PC's interface seems frozen, but the PC is actually working ( it is playing the track after all).
I hope it helps.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano
Pages: [1]   Go Up