INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Long Goodbye and other Kino Video Blu-rays  (Read 2373 times)

aguyingreene

• Recent member
The Long Goodbye and other Kino Video Blu-rays
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:05 pm »

For some reason JRiver 20 will not not play the DTS-MA 2.0 tracks.  All you get is silence.  I noticed this on The Party and What's New Pussycat as well.  Plays fine in PowerDVD 14.  All other DTS-MA tracks from other publishers play fine.  Any suggestions?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The Long Goodbye and other Kino Video Blu-rays
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »

I just checked my DTS-HD MA 2.0 videos and they all playback just fine here. Build 54.

aguyingreene

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »

Thanks.  This only occurs on a few Kino discs only.  This also happened on Topkapi.  Strange but no big deal.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

Only on the discs themselves?
Have you tried/considered ripping the movies into mkv?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:47:56 am »

I tried to get a copy of one of these discs, but the version I got has mono PCM tracks, and not DTS-HD MA. Sorry.
If you are using the dtsdecoderdll.dll for DTS-HD MA playback, make sure you got a "good" version, either 1.1.0.0 or 1.1.0.8/9, but not anything in between.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:00 am »

If you are using the dtsdecoderdll.dll for DTS-HD MA playback, make sure you got a "good" version, either 1.1.0.0 or 1.1.0.8/9, but not anything in between.

I was not aware of the difference in versions. I currently have 1.1.0.7 on all my computers.
What is the issue with the "not good" versions? I have not noticed any problems with playback.

I'll start looking for a download of the newer version, regardless, just to be safe.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:04 am »

They fail with mono streams, and seeing as my PCM disc uses mono, I could imagine the DTS HD one also having this configuration.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:53 pm »

1.1.0.1 is the version you want for the highest quality audio.

It doesn't have the mono or 6.0 bugs that exist in other versions, and decodes lossy DTS tracks to 24-bit rather than 16-bit.

If I recall correctly, there is no one version with all the issues fixed - there is no version which decodes 2.1 tracks correctly - but this has the least compromises.

Ideally the decoders would output floating-point rather than integer values, but a 24-bit output is better than 16-bit.

Hendrik, let me know if you want a sample of a mono DTS HD track. My "Network" disc is mono DTS HD.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 12:27:07 pm »

Can you e-mail me a copy (ver .01) or put a copy in your drop box? I can't find a copy (of any version) from a trustworthy source on-line anywhere.
Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

I have samples of those.

And fwiw, 1.1.0.8 decodes all important things properly, lossy to 24-bit, mono .. only 6.0 is not working to my knowledge, which i've never seen in any real-world sample.
The advantage of 1.1.0.8 is that its easily available, since it was shipped with TMT for a long time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 12:56:20 pm »

1.1.0.8 is definitely decoding "16-bit" tracks to 16-bit, while 1.1.0.1 decodes to 24-bit:

I don't think I've encountered 6.0 discs either, but it's still worth mentioning that 1.1.0.8 does not decode them correctly.
I think I got 1.1.0.1 off a TMT3 disc which was bundled with one of my optical drives years ago.

Those two issues aside, 1.1.0.8 should be fine though - other versions may have problems with mono or other tracks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 01:03:24 pm »

Apparently there is also a 7.1 channel config that everything before 1.1.0.8 choke on. There just isn't a perfect version!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »

Apparently there is also a 7.1 channel config that everything before 1.1.0.8 choke on. There just isn't a perfect version!
Unless there is a specific 7.1 configuration, it appears to be decoding correctly for me in 1.1.0.1
I can't seem to find a 6.0 disc in my collection at all to test 1.1.0.8; I'm only finding 5.1 or 6.1 tracks.

You're correct that there is no one version that is "perfect".

Decoding lossy DTS to 24-bit rather than 16-bit tracks seems worthwhile though, if you have the option of using 1.1.0.1

I wonder, might it be possible to have LAV Filters automatically load a different decoder based on the track, or is that more trouble than it's worth?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

Nah thats not going to happen.
I could patch the DTS header to force other decoders to think its 24-bit, but that doesn't seem worthwhile either really.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 01:49:57 pm »

Considering that one of the strengths advertised for Media Center is that it uses 32-bit (or was it 64-bit?) decoders for lossy audio formats such as MP3/AAC, if that's something you are able to do, it might be worthwhile?

A lot of people seem to be performing DSP in their video setups (room correction etc.) so getting the highest quality out of the decoder initially seems like a good idea.

I suspect that the decoders only output integer, but it might be worth investigating to see whether they would output floating point?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

floating point doesn't really offer any more precision than 24-bit integer, and some decoders just operate in int, especially for DTS, as the lossless modes all require integer modes.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up