INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: Thumbnails created from Folder.jpg UNC vs Mapped Drive  (Read 3847 times)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Problem: Thumbnails created from Folder.jpg UNC vs Mapped Drive
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:39:12 am »

When I use a UNC path I get no thumbnails created, when I use a mapped drive to the same location thumbnails show up.

What's up with that?  I'd prefer not have to map a drive it's pointless.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem: Thumbnails created from Folder.jpg UNC vs Mapped Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:31 am »

Are you using Server and Clients, or just Server?
If the problem is that your not seeing changes ("newly created" thumbnails) on a Client, I have found that you often must restart the Client to see changes that were made on the Sever.

I only use Mapped drives, and have not had any issues with sharing data to multiple Clients.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:41 am »

Are you using Server and Clients, or just Server?
If the problem is that your not seeing changes ("newly created" thumbnails) on a Client, I have found that you often must restart the Client to see changes that were made on the Sever.

I only use Mapped drives, and have not had any issues with sharing data to multiple Clients.

I'm not doing Server/Client.  Local library only.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:34 am »

Can someone confirm that UNC paths work for thumbnail creation from folder.jpg album art?

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:50 am »

Can someone confirm that UNC paths work for thumbnail creation from folder.jpg album art?
It works  if the modified or new folder.jpg is actually embedded in the file and the file is indeed imported. Check in tags to see that "image in file" is indicated under the field [Image File] and is not empty. If you see a filename there, something is not on ... I have a messed up FLAC file which is truncated and cannot add artwork to the file adn it show folder.jpg in the Image File field as an example.

you can set up a smartlist to check by importing this to check for blank or bad embeds ...

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Image File]=[Inside File]
then you can simply use cover art =>Quick find in file directory and sort it out in one go. You might have to re-build your thumbnails or configure auto-import to do so afterwords

If this is your issue and providing your configuration is set to the folder.jpg audio option, what I like to do is always copy the image and paste it using the cover art tool. Then you can just select all of them and use "save cover art to ...", again under the cover art tool (right click); it should be automatic after the first time but I tend to do it manually as part of my work flow to be sure.

If this is not the issue get back after checking the integrity of the files. (If you need a tool I can find one that works pretty well, I use audio tester that you can get here http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:34 am »

I don't use embedded art nor do I want to.

Again can anyone confirm that having a single folder.jpg file in the album folder of flac files will generate thumbnails when using a UNC path?  It won't for me.  I need to map a drive to get it to work.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:08 am »

I don't use embedded art nor do I want to.

Again can anyone confirm that having a single folder.jpg file in the album folder of flac files will generate thumbnails when using a UNC path?  It won't for me.  I need to map a drive to get it to work.
You don't like mapped drives or embedded art evidently. You say that your library is local, but sounds to me your files aren't (NAS?)

certainly did waste my time on that one then . Someone else might be able to give you the simple answer you are looking for.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:43 am »

I don't know the answer.

If it doesn't work with a UNC path, then it is probably a bug.  Sounds like you tested it pretty well.  I can test it out for you later to confirm it happens for me too, but not till later this week.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:51 am »

You don't like mapped drives or embedded art evidently. You say that your library is local, but sounds to me your files aren't (NAS?)

certainly did waste my time on that one then . Someone else might be able to give you the simple answer you are looking for.

Yes, JRiver Library is local as in I'm not connecting to a remote JRiver instance as CountryBumpkin asked.

Music files are on a network drive.

I don't have a problem with mapped drives but it shouldn't be needed and I think I might have found a bug with my unique implementation of flac files without embedded art.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:48:48 am »

I don't know the answer.

If it doesn't work with a UNC path, then it is probably a bug.  Sounds like you tested it pretty well.  I can test it out for you later to confirm it happens for me too, but not till later this week.

Add a UNC location with one of your flac albums without embedded art and a folder.jpg in the album folder.  Import and see if the thumbnail is generated.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up