INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird problem when ripping bluray to mkv  (Read 12274 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Weird problem when ripping bluray to mkv
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:52 pm »

I usually...invariably...rip my blurays to mkv and put them on the JRiver server. For this I use eac3to to demux (and decode the audio tracks of choice) and mkvtoolnix for remux. I usually add frame rate as track specific option for the video stream, as stated in the log file from eac3to.

This have worked to all bluray movies. No problems with a/v sync or anything. Except this one: Thor - The Dark World.
This movie plays perfectly when playing directly from the disc. But when made into a mkv file there audio is several seconds ahead of the video. The tracks are reported as equally long by mediainfo, but mediainfo doesn't give seconds resolution, just minutes, so that's no use.

MKVtoolnix has a sync option that (according to the tooltip) can shift a/v sync a few milliseconds. That will not do in this case. And I havenæt really tried several seconds either, since getting the required sync offset accuracy is hard.

Any help appreciated here!

PS: I can, and probably will, watch the movie directly from the disc in this case. But it bugs me not to see the technical solution...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Weird problem when ripping bluray to mkv
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:33:31 pm »

Why do you do it that way?  MakeMKV.

Many DVDs and BluRay discs have A/V sync offsets.  I don't know why.  When the tracks are the exact same length, but are still offset, I can only assume it is on purpose to make ripping more troublesome, but I don't really know why.

In any case, I think MakeMKV will typically handle this for you, because it can read the offset from disc just like the BluRay player would.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:40:22 pm »

I use makemkv free version for dvds, but I haven't bothered yet to pay for the blu-ray version.

But the real reason why is that I decode audio offline and store it as flac.

I will look into makemkv if this will simplify things.

Are there really many off sync disks? This is my first, and I am usually quite sensitive down to at least 10ms sync error. I think.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:43:49 pm »

But the real reason why is that I decode audio offline and store it as flac.

You can do this in makemkv for lossless formats.

I will look into makemkv if this will simplify things.

Are there really many off sync disks? This is my first, and I am usually quite sensitive down to at least 10ms sync error. I think.

It will simplify things (a friend of mine ripped Thor: Dark World with makemkv and got a perfectly synced result). There are a ton of discs with a/v sync issues; most of the ones I can recall are DVDs (but obviously at least a few Blu Rays have the issue). Have a look at the verbose/advanced logs in makemkv sometime if you want to see some sync horror shows; most of the correction notices are hidden by default, so you don't even know makemkv is fixing things for you until you turn on the verbose logging.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:44:41 pm »

MakeMKV can decode the Blu-ray audio and re-encode it as FLAC on-the-fly, plus as long as it remains a beta, its still free (but also well worth the money, I paid for the license anyway)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »

MakeMKV can decode the Blu-ray audio and re-encode it as FLAC on-the-fly, plus as long as it remains a beta, its still free (but also well worth the money, I paid for the license anyway)

Agreed.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »

Thanks guys (?) I'm fully convinced   :)
Running it now, seems to work like a charm. I does warn me about AnyDVD and that it should be deactivated. Will it matter if I did/didn't?

Trumpetguy

Re: Re: Re: Weird problem when ripping bluray to mkv
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »

For the record,  I am all for paying for products. Fair chance makemkv will be the next.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »

Running it now, seems to work like a charm. I does warn me about AnyDVD and that it should be deactivated. Will it matter if I did/didn't?

I think they are just being conservative so they can be all like "We told you so." when something does break. If you keep AnyDVD HD up-to-date so that it decrypts the Blu-ray properly, AND disable their speed-menus (which are off by default anyway), then there are no problems, none that I've ever found anyway.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 04:49:58 pm »

Thought as much!

Now, MakeMKV ripped it just fine and now it plays back perfrectly in sync. This was reported by makemkv:
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'H:/Thor -The Dark World/MARVEL'S_THOR_THE_DARK_WORLD_-_BLU-RAY_t05.mkv' (title #6)
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:00 with duration of 4170.833ms : audio gap was filled with silence

Fits very well with me counting off-sync seconds to a little more than 4s without any watch for help :) I have been playing and marching in too many bands and know too well the 120 steps pr minute pace. Or rather 116, to be precise.

Thanks again for your prompt help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:32 pm »

I think they are just covering their asses so they can be all like "We told you so." when something does break. If you keep AnyDVD HD up-to-date so that it decrypts the Blu-ray properly, AND disable their speed-menus (which are off by default anyway), then there are no problems, none that I've ever found anyway.

I had several discs where using AnyDVD would goof up the disc architecture, so my makemkv initial scans took half an hour because it had to scan every VOB.  It definitely wasn't happening with every disc, but the third or fourth disc where I ran into that issue I tried disabling AnyDVD and it resolved the issue, and I haven't run into the issue again since.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »

I ripped hundreds of Blu-rays and never had a problem, no idea about DVDs though. I like having AnyDVD HD on, as it allows previewing the disc immediately and allows me to select the proper subtitle streams (I only want forced subs, and finding those can be tricky)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trumpetguy

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 03:35:41 am »

Purchase of MakeMKV completed.

I have encountered lengthy scans of DVD VOBs with MakeMKV. Typically, scanning the DVD would take 20 to 30 minutes. Sometimes this happened, most times not. I did not link that to AnyDVDHD running. I'll make sure to stop AnyDVD before ripping my next DVD

Another question: Quality. I would hesitate going into doom9 and makemkv forum to read up on the topic...sorry, I don't understand the technicalities related to video ripping. Is there any conversion or compression going on when ripping the video stream from a blu-ray?  If the ripping process is not lossless for video - will the video quality be the same using makemkv and eac3to?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:49:49 am »

MakeMKV does not re-compress the video, its a lossless conversion, just the same as eac3to.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trumpetguy

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:54 am »

MakeMKV does not re-compress the video, its a lossless conversion, just the same as eac3to.

Great, thanks!

Trumpetguy

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 04:01:29 pm »

Why do you do it that way?  MakeMKV.

Many DVDs and BluRay discs have A/V sync offsets.  I don't know why.  When the tracks are the exact same length, but are still offset, I can only assume it is on purpose to make ripping more troublesome, but I don't really know why.

In any case, I think MakeMKV will typically handle this for you, because it can read the offset from disc just like the BluRay player would.

Bringing my old thread to life, another weird problem (not A/V sync). After the advices I got in this thread, I purchased makemkv and has been happy ripping blurays for some time. Now another strange thing happens, and googling internet haven't shed any light.

In three movies in a row, the rip messes up the playback sequence. This happened to "The Imitation Game" and now last "Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part 1", both released in Norway. It also happened to another brand new movie, I forgot the title.

98% of the movies play back just fine. Suddenly there is a weird transition from scene A to B. Scene B is often very short, but you don't notice the new transition to scene C. Suddenly, a minute or two into scene C, a short bit of scene B (not shown earlier) is shown, then back to C.

In the Imitation Game, this happened twice. So far (1 hour into) Mocking Jay Part I, it has happened once.

I have not checked the bluray discs directly, but this strange behaviour is something I have never experienced before, and it all started after starting to use MakeMKV for bluray rips. Never seen it while I used it for DVD rips.

Anyone else seen something similar or know how to fix it? My OCD has a hard time while watching movies now making use of multiple timelines or are doing a lot of retrospect switching....I'm stuck with not knowing if it was intentionally, or my computer re-clipping the whole thing.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 04:03:44 pm »

BTW: when I claim that "the rip is messed up", this is just by assumption. I find it not very likely, after ripping 100, 200 or more blurays, that suddenly three out of the last ten should have faulty discs.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 01:26:44 am »

After some additional googling, it turns out that it is a classic problem, not new (see e.g. here: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=14195.0). It also may seem to be so that makemkv picks the right track for movies predating 2014, but not the newer releases. That explains the correlation in time for me, I started purchasing mainly new releases approximately the same time as I started using makemkv.

So now the problem boils down to pick the correct track when ripping, it seems.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 05:34:03 pm »

After some additional googling, it turns out that it is a classic problem, not new (see e.g. here: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=14195.0). It also may seem to be so that makemkv picks the right track for movies predating 2014, but not the newer releases. That explains the correlation in time for me, I started purchasing mainly new releases approximately the same time as I started using makemkv.

So now the problem boils down to pick the correct track when ripping, it seems.

Thanks for the tip. Handy to be aware of this.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up