INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encoding DSD causing crashing?  (Read 1355 times)

gypsykirk

• Recent member
Encoding DSD causing crashing?
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:34:34 am »

Hi, I am pleased to say I have taken the opportunity to sign up for a master license and now have JRiver installed on my macbook pro as well as on my topanga server. I spent most of yesterday playing around with things and getting it all set up. I also (for the first time) started encoding DSD files and playing them back through the HUGO. This is certainly something I wish to explore further as there are certainly audible differences that need to be explored over a period of time and over a wide variety of genre and recordings.
So I'm sitting here trying to decode a variety of albums now on the macbook pro, however JRiver is crashing 90% of the time i try to encode. There doesn't seem to be the same problem encoding on the windows machine, however it's slower and it would be good to get a full day of encoding on both machines. I'm running the latest version of j.river and have tried both the stable version and the latest version. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what i'm likely doing wrong or if it's maybe just a glitch that can be sorted in versions to come. It will work the occasional time and I thought at one point it was maybe to do with file type ie WAV over FLAC or 44,88,96 for example but this doesn't seem to be the issue.
Cheers.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Encoding DSD causing crashing?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:21:55 am »

Could you send a Media Center log file?  First, enable logging with Help / Logging / Output to a log file.  Then make the crash happen, then restart MC and go to Help / Logging / Report problem.  Also if you could send the Mac crash report that would be helpful.  Please send to:
logs at jriver dot com

If you have a file that is repeatable, so every time you try to encode to DSD it crashes, you could send that via Dropbox or something so we could test here.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:12 am »

Thanks JohnT. I'll get right on it (despite the fact it has just began encoding an album i've been trying to get it to encode a half a dozen times or so now) and see what I can come up with.

Cheers.

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:57:41 am »

I know this is off topic, but I'm listening to these DSD files and there are breaks in playback despite everything being set to maximum re buffering etc.
I've been starting playback at the beginning of an album and pausing it for several minutes right away, my theory being this will allow time for the tracks to be uploaded to the memory (play from memory instead of disk) and allow seamless playback from there on in. I understand 1GB is set aside for this purpose? I would have thought this is plenty, however if it isn't then wouldn't allowing a feature to set the amount of memory available to say a maximun of 3GB be beneficial for DSD playback? Also an idea i just had of maybe having an indicator as simple as a loading bar (similar to apples when it's updating software etc) above the PLAY, pause, forward buttons that is a visual indicator of when the memory is approaching full, so as to allow for seamless playback. Sorry if this is straying off topic and been covered before, but I must admit I'm open to trying out the DSD files and giving them a good listen but gaps in playback will drive me mad!
There could be two colours in the indicator bar, green and red, green is what's in memory and red is what's being moved across to memory as playback is in progress. I'm not sure if this makes sense but would maybe help.
Cheers.

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11:27 am »

Hi again John. I'm not sure what's happening here but every album I've encoded since posting here has worked just fine so I'm a little puzzled but certainly happy. I've taken note of your instructions and should the problem persist or come up again I'll do as you instructed at the time, thanks for your input.

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:28 pm »

OK, I've had repeatable results and have included three apple reports and 3 zip log files. I have now tried a single file from that album and it appears to be working.

I hope it's of some help and will send over more if it happens again.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up