INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear Library  (Read 1924 times)

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
Clear Library
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:34:29 am »

Hi,

It would be nice if the Clear Library function was such that the user could determine WHICH library to clear: (video, audio, images, playlists....)
Once in a while I put some new music onto my JRiver system. As I find it cumbersome to import single folders - say I'm going to import 20 new albums - I find it easier to just clear the library and reimport my main music folder. The problem is: this also clears from the library all of my playlists, and all of my Videos.....
Is there a way to do this that I have not discovered?

Regards,
Jarle

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Clear Library
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:22:01 am »

Not sure if I fully understand but why not just do a "Delete" of what you don't want in your library anymore? Note that "Delete" has various levels within MC:
  • Delete from Library
  • Delete to Recycle
  • Delete Forever

For new media, set up your auto-import so that MC keeps tabs on the folder(s) specified and it will automatically import new stuff. You shouldn't need to farnarkle around with your Library. From the sounds of what you're doing, you're making it hard on yourself.

Farnarkling Explained (... obscurely)
... more detail here.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:22 am »

Yeah, I had a suspicion that I was making it hard on myself  ;)

To be honest, I have never used the auto-import function. Mainly because I'm skeptical as to how it works. How will this function cope with for instance renaming a folder? (Once in a while I also tidy up my music collection, making folder naming consistent and so on). Does the auto-import run each time you start J.river, or does it constantly use resources?

Thanks for the tip of using the delete command. However, I see no reason why the clear library function shall be so inflexible compared with the delete function.

-Jarle

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:23:40 am »

The library serves multiple objectives. From a database integrity point of view, I kinda like how it works.

I'd suggest you get a handle of the renaming, moving and copying functionality within MC. The key to database and meta data consistency is to do all your file manipulation within MC. If you use Windows Explorer, say, MC doesn't know about what's changed unless you run an import process to redirect how it has indexed your media files.

Then you've got the mess of left over library entries that have disappeared.

For more info check the Wiki.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:00 am »

Yeah, I had a suspicion that I was making it hard on myself  ;)

To be honest, I have never used the auto-import function. Mainly because I'm skeptical as to how it works. How will this function cope with for instance renaming a folder? (Once in a while I also tidy up my music collection, making folder naming consistent and so on). Does the auto-import run each time you start J.river, or does it constantly use resources?

Thanks for the tip of using the delete command. However, I see no reason why the clear library function shall be so inflexible compared with the delete function.

-Jarle

What is your folder structure in windows (is all the music in one Music folder, or do you have sub folders for genre etc?)

Auto import doesn't have to auto-tag, you can use it just to import into the database.  For example I have two windows folders (incoming music, incoming video) which auto import into MC but not auto tagged...if I put 20 new albums into the incoming folder, they appear in MC but are untouched.  Then I can manually tag them and use the rename,move,copy tool to get the folder names and stuff correct, and move them to their resting place in the main library.  It's very easy and fast, and if you want to manually import you still only have to import the entire incoming folder, not 20 separate albums.

You can use auto import to do some tagging as well, I know some users do for everything but I only do for certain things (documents and podcasts) because I'm very OCD about my tagging

Read up the wiki a little and if you have a specific question just post up and you'll get a lot of good advice.  But either way your current workflow is incredibly inefficient, and that's why the clear library tool seems so inflexible to you

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:42:07 am »

thanks,

I have not familiarized myself with the tagging possibilities in JRiver. (I use Foobar for the sole purpose of managing the tagging). I unplug my external harddrive from my stereo-computer and go to my laptop where I can sit comfortably, then work on the tagging and then plug the harddrive back into the stereo-computer.

my folder structure is like this, for instance:

e:\music\abc\aerosmith\O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits\CD1

I always put my new music into the folder where it belongs. So importing 20 new albums in one go is not possible for me (possibility of assigning multiple single folders to import would however be welcome - I usually have in my memory the folders that I wish to import) But importing is not what makes up the most tedious  work - removing and re-importing folders subjected to changes is.

Your method sounds very efficient. I need to expolore the Wiki and see whether I can make myself embrace JRiver tagging and ditch Foobar - so far I have only been intimidated by the jriver tagging functionality ... unfortunately)

Thanks again, I might come back with some tagging-related question after studying on the wiki.

-Jarle

Pages: [1]   Go Up