INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash while importing big library  (Read 2807 times)

dedok

• Recent member
Crash while importing big library
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:08:26 am »

20.0.64 consistently crashes while importing big library. 20.0.62 did the same. Is this known issue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash while importing big library
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:57:28 am »

20.0.64 consistently crashes while importing big library. 20.0.62 did the same. Is this known issue?
Check the auto import settings under Tools > Options > Import.  Add, remove, and edit the folders so that you're only importing audio.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:02:58 pm »

Autoimport is off. I do manual import. As of cleaning all the subdirectories, good advise but when you have 40K+ files out there it becomes quite hard to do. Perhaps, it's easier to fix the bug in next release.  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »

Set your auto import options.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 02:29:11 pm »

Autoimport is off. I do manual import. As of cleaning all the subdirectories, good advise but when you have 40K+ files out there it becomes quite hard to do. Perhaps, it's easier to fix the bug in next release.  ;)

Not a bug, as Jim said double check your autoimport configuration.

This might be confusing but whether you import manually or not, Media Import still needs to be configured, and it is found in options => configure auto-import which might be misleading. You don't have to go through all of your folders. See screen shot

If this doesn't work this might indicate corrupt files or file length issues, or something else, but there is no way 40,000 files is the reason for JR crashing on import. BTW 40K files is is not a lot files compared to some here ;)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:50 pm »

I import 140K files just fine.  You'll have to find what data in your collection is causing the problem.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 07:17:56 pm »

Following a crash, please send a Mac crash report and Media Center log file (Help / Logging) to logs at jriver dot com.

Sometimes this helps us pinpoint which file(s) are causing the problem and let's us get it fixed which helps out everybody.

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:50 am »

Thank you, guys.

1. Autoimport crashes in the same way
2. Crash dump has been e-mailed to the address provided.
3. With all due respect, crash means bug, no matter what.
4. My files are mostly FLACs, WAVs, M4As and APEs, i.e. lossless stuff, almost no mp3s. Perhaps, this is part of the problem.
5. What particular autoimport settings would you suggest me to tweak?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:04:07 am »

It seems like a bug, but if you can find out which files are causing problems, by importing only certain file types, it would help us fix it.  Sometimes a corrupt file can be the cause.

For example, import only WAV, then only FLAC, etc.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:23:31 pm »

I just tried that. I started adding them in the following order (one by one): flac, cue, ape, wv. It has crashed on wv. Guess what happened next? I restarted it and asked to re-import. It went just fine. Then I picked all Audio extensions and they went through. Mystery. Two more notes: all the files are on NAS and before each crash CPU usage goes very high (150%) and cooler gets noisy. HTH.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »

Make sure the firmware on your NAS is up to date.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 11:24:36 pm »

It is. And one more thing: I have Windows version of MC20 installed on other computer. It doesn't crash.
So, after few iterations I managed to import everything. I did it subdirectory by subdirectory plus the trick with separate file types (few first, few next etc.). It took me whole day but it finally happened. Thanks for the ideas.

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 03:28:00 am »

I'm just pulling at straws here, but is it possible that you have media server running on both MAC and PC versions? Are the autosync options set if so?. If that is the case, I'd try turning the MAC server option off and see if it makes a difference?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:43:03 am »

What is the NAS? 

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 08:07:47 am »

It sounds like one or more wv files may have caused the crashes.  Media Center may have marked them as bad and not tried re-importing them, thus it worked afterwards.  If you could enable logging (Help / Logging / Enable logging) and then send a Media Center log file following a crash and restart (Help / Logging / Report problem), we may be able to pinpoint an offending file, then you could send us the file and we could fix the bug.  Thanks.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 11:11:09 pm »

Well, I can't do that because I have really bad news.
On Friday during one of attempts to load the library all my data suddenly disappeared. OSX was continuing working but 500G of data was erased. It looked like I bought brand new MacBook. I thought it was random glitch and simply restored everything from Time Machine backup. Guess what? It has happened again today during library update with logging turned on (like you suggested). I don't believe in such coincidences, you know. I have no clue how it's possible to write an application destroying all the data on a hard drive but you managed to do that. I'll uninstall MC20 as soon as I get my Mac restored again...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 07:07:59 am »

A program crash can't cause all your data to be erased.  You probably have a hardware problem, maybe with the NAS.  If it were my problem, I would work without the NAS for a while.  Update its firmware, at a minimum.

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 08:52:30 am »

After the restore, was there a Media Center log file present?  If so, I'd appreciate if you could send that to us as well as your user settings file.  The user settings file will be here:  "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini"
I reviewed the code and can't find any way that MC could delete data as you describe, but I'd like to review the log and settings file as well.

Thanks.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »

A program crash can't cause all your data to be erased.  You probably have a hardware problem, maybe with the NAS.  If it were my problem, I would work without the NAS for a while.  Update its firmware, at a minimum.

Few points:
1. Data erased not from NAS but from MacBook. All data! All my files and programs! It happened two times, both times when I was reimporting.
2. This was the first time I lost my data (I own this laptop 2 years, no single issue like that).
3. OSX version is 10.10.2 - perhaps it's too new for MC20?
4. Same NAS works fine against windows version of MC20. Just to check this I deleted the Library on my windows machine and re-imported everything including all those .wv files and all others. No single hick up. 97K files imported perfectly fine.
5. As of "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 20/Settings/User Settings.ini" - it desn't exist after restore. And I'm very sorry but I can't risk my MacBook any more. It takes 15 hours to restore it and I'm not going to do that again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up