INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm a bit confused about XBox 360  (Read 2481 times)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
I'm a bit confused about XBox 360
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:59:12 pm »

I'm doing something wrong but heck if I know what....I have a home theater hooked up to my Xbox 360.  The Xbox provides audio to my Rotel receiver via TOSlink.  Under Tools/Options/Media Network I've added XBox 360 as a DLNA server, and removed the generic DLNA.  When I try to play a track, the XBox displays on the TV screen the name of the track, but it doesn't play, which indicates some communication is going on but not the proper config.  Then after a few seconds I get a message on MC stating "Something went wrong with playback", and the XBox displays "playback error".  When I go to select playback option, I get a message that says "Configure audio using Options/ Media Network/ Add or configure DLNA servers"....but I did that.   Something's missing and I don't know quite what to do next.

As long as I'm thoroughly confused, in this setup  MC > Xbox > receiver where does the actual digital to analog conversion occur?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I'm a bit confused about XBox 360
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »

What kind of media format are you trying to play?

In the MC server audio settings, try selecting Convert to Specified format L16 No Header.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:36:51 pm »

What kind of media format are you trying to play?

In the MC server audio settings, try selecting Convert to Specified format L16 No Header.
The Xbox360 can't play L16. The default for conversion is mp3 with the XBox server template.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:20:59 pm »

Thanks for the answers.  My files are all FLAC.  My situation is that I have a high end 2 channel stereo in my family room where I do most of my listening.  But upstairs, I have a room that's a combination office/media room which has a home theater system as well as the Xbox.  My hope was to play the files through the network to my home theater.  As soon as I saw the mp3 choice I thought "well, mp3 is crappy audio, why would anyone do that" but I know that actually the quality can vary greatly based on compression.  It appears that this entire idea is more complicated than I first thought.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 04:38:51 pm »

Thanks for the answers.  My files are all FLAC.  My situation is that I have a high end 2 channel stereo in my family room where I do most of my listening.  But upstairs, I have a room that's a combination office/media room which has a home theater system as well as the Xbox.  My hope was to play the files through the network to my home theater.  As soon as I saw the mp3 choice I thought "well, mp3 is crappy audio, why would anyone do that" but I know that actually the quality can vary greatly based on compression.  It appears that this entire idea is more complicated than I first thought.
If you set it to high bandwidth mp3 it should be pretty decent.
You could also try 16 bit PCM (wave). I don't remember if it can play that or not but it's worth a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up