INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any drawbacks to resampling  (Read 1122 times)

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
Are there any drawbacks to resampling
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:27 am »

I've read that the general advice is to avoid upsampling with JRiver, and I do find the sound excellent on the default settings.  However, I've got a mix of 44.1 kHz 16-bit and high resolution files and my Apogee Duet makes a loud click when the file format changes.  So, I'm tempted to resample everything to 96 kHz in DSP Studio.  Are there any drawbacks to this and are there any other changes I should make apart from the sample rate settings? 

It might be imagination, but I tested a few 44.1 kHz at 96 kHz and they sounded just a little richer and more spacious.

Chris

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Are there any drawbacks to resampling
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:44:25 am »

I resample everything to 96kHz as well for similar reasons, as a sample rate switch causes a device reset, and there isn't a clear drawback from that. Some people might argue that it distorts the original audio somewhat, but MC uses a high quality resampler and you should not really hear a difference.

On the other hand, some people even argue for over-sampling, and many DACs may even do it internally for improved quality.

If you are happy this way, then just leave it and enjoy!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Are there any drawbacks to resampling
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »

Thanks, I've certainly noticed no deterioration in the sound so will stick to resampling at 96kHz - no more annoying clicks  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up