INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update now or later?  (Read 1714 times)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
Update now or later?
« on: October 08, 2003, 09:27:19 am »

JimH asked for UI topics to be dealt with in another thread, so I'm starting one to share a feeling I have and see if others feel similarly.

There are now two instances where MC "defers an action". The first instance is when you modify a Smartlist's criteria. After you modify criteria, when you select something other than the Smartlist, MC asks if you want to save the changes. View Schemes work differently than Smartlists. When you edit a V/S to change its criteria and press OK... it's there, saved, now. With a Smartlist, the modifications are in a kind of purgatory until you change fields.

The second instance is now being discussed in the .271 beta thread, in which updates to a large number of files are deferred to save time should the user modify a second field.

The problem I'm having is how this impacts my thinking. When I change to a new field, I've changed my train of thought. I've completed the actions with the previous item, but the program has not. I have to either tell it "Yes, please save the Smartlist changes", or wait while it updates a lot of files.

Regarding the file updates, I understand it will take more time to save the information if I change more than one field, but I frequently only change one field. Then my thoughts move on, then I get the file saving dialog... and it just feels wrong.

Relative to Smartlists, it would be nice if they behaved like View Schemes in this regard, with an "Edit Smartlist..." command to change the permanent critera, and a temporary Search criteria field at the top of the window.

Does anyone else share this feeling?

LisaRCT

Re: Update now or later?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 01:54:06 pm »

I can agree on the Smartlist save being brought in line with the way the View Schemes are saved.

But, I do most of my tagging and editing in large batches.
I.E.: If I am ripping or downloading I wait until I have finished and then import all the files at once.
At that time I do ALL my tagging changes/fill-ins/edits, I analyze the files and get cover art.  Lastly I 'Rename files from properties' and 'Update Tags'.  When I am through I backup my library. I am fairly consistant in my routine.

SO, I prefer to make ALL my changes, THEN save them all at once.
In light of this my personal preference would be to be able to TURN-OFF automatic saving and do it manually when I am done or feel it appropriate as I do normally when working in Photoshop or Word.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re: Update now or later?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 05:28:52 pm »

I like having it save files after I've made a bunch of changes.  Particularly when I'm changing 20+ files at a time.  It would be very poky if after every change I make, MC had to wait to save all the files.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up