INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced playlist handling  (Read 3039 times)

bilbo2112

• Junior Woodchuck
  • "We have assumed control"
Advanced playlist handling
« on: February 07, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »

Hi,

It would be nice to have advanced feature for exporting/copying playlists in MC20.

I would like to export all tracks from a playlist to a usb stick with custom renaming to change track# to match the seq in the playlist.

For example:

FROM   C:\music\[artist]\[album]\[track#] - [name]     TO      G:\music\[playlist name]\[seq] - [artist] - [name]

The only way I found is to export the playlist to the usb stick, but the filenames stays the same.

Thank you.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Advanced playlist handling
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:05:47 am »

Take a look at Tools->Library->Rename, Copy & Move and create your custom rule?

Make sure you set the mode to copy, not move...

bilbo2112

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 06:14:20 am »

I looked into that section already, but there's no [seq] tag to number the files correctly according to the playlist order.

I need a tool that extracts data from the playlist file (MPL).  Maybe a more advanced "Export playlist" function.

I tried to create a virtual handheld device, but the naming options are very limited  :(

I think this would be a great addition to MC20.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »

I saw this thread referenced by the OP in a request for new features and thought I would provide an answer.

You can generate a sequence number for your files in the Rename, Move, and Copy tool and it can be the exact number in the playlist.  :)

Here's a File Name expression that will do pretty much what you are asking for:

CustomData(#)-[Artist]-[Name]

Fill that into the FileName field in the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.  You will have to specify the directory you want in the Directories (Base Path) area.  I couldn't find a way to automatically fill in the Playlist name either, so you'll have to type that manually in the Directories area.  If you don't have too many playlists that shouldn't be too much effort.

Remember to use the Copy mode only!  No move, no update, no rename.  Also be sure to look at the preview pane on the right to see what directory and filename it is going to use when it does the Copy.  Make sure it's the name you want and you should be good to go.

One more thing:  This will produce numbers starting a 1 and using single digits until it gets to 10.  If you want to zero pad everything, so that it starts at 001 (for example), you can do that too.  Just modify it to look like this:

Padnumber(CustomData(#), 3)-[Artist]-[Name]

The 3 is the number of total digits.  If you want more or less, change that number.  Again, look at the preview pane to be sure you will get what you want.

Let me know if this works for you.

Brian.

bilbo2112

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:27 am »

Almost there  :o

This renaming code is working perfectly, but:

- no m3u file created
 - no conversion option (FLAC to MP3)
 - you have to manually rename folders to match playlist names (as you mentioned)

This should be a new feature in MC21 for handling playlists or any kind of audio content you want to export to external device or folder.

Anyway, with your help, i'm closer than ever  ;D

Thank you very much for your help.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:57:37 am »

This renaming code is working perfectly, but:

- no m3u file created

This doesn't make sense.  I thought you wanted to rename files so your car's player could read them.  If the player can read M3U, you don't need to rename.  Just export the playlist and files as they are.

- no conversion option (FLAC to MP3)

This makes sense, but it's handled by the Handheld support... but without the renaming options.  But if your device reads M3Us....

- you have to manually rename folders to match playlist names (as you mentioned)

Yes, but do you need folders if you have playlist support?  I thought the whole point was that the target device didn't support play lists and you would have to navigate via folder and file.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers.  I'm just confused by the seemingly conflicting requirements.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm happy to help.  I hope we can get you closer to what you want.  :)

Brian.

bilbo2112

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 04:38:57 pm »

In Short,

I want the same features as Amok Playlist Copy with format conversion.

You can choose to export a playlist anywhere you like, in any format you want with any kind of naming patterns.

;D

nspm002

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »

I want to export all my playlists to a USB flash stick, to play in my Chevrolet.  Apparently, this will require that they have "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" ... an option only when exporting my playlists one at a time.  It makes no sense to me that we don't have the same flexibility when exporting all playlists, but evidently JRiver MediaCenter gives us no flexibility when exporting all playlists so we can only do this one at a time.  AAARRRGGH!!! >:(

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:47:39 pm »

NSPM:  I'm fairly certain that the Handhelds Sync system in JRiver can do this for you.  You can select the playlists you want exported.  It's designed to put songs and playlists on USB sticks, removable drives, things like that.  It's playlist filename options are very complete AND include relative pathnames like you are asking for.

You can start playing with it at:

Tools > Options > Handheld > Device Management > Add a device

Here's the wiki entry on it.  It's kind of long.  You might learn just as much or more simply by playing with it with one or two small playlists.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync

Good luck to you.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up