INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebGizmo development continuing?  (Read 2081 times)

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
WebGizmo development continuing?
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:34:14 am »

Just wonder if webgizmo development is still ongoing. I have seen many requests in the forum regarding improvements to the UI of WeGizmo, but not many answers.
I have been a JRiver user since way back in the "Jukebox". I was excited when webgizmo was first introduced since I often wish to listen to my collection when I am away from home(at work, at friends etc).
I find that currently the very minimal interface of WebGizmo and it's lack of some very basic controls makes that almost more trouble than it is worth. It is very possible that you intended users to create their own custom HTML/javascript pages to personalize WebGizmo, however I have yet to find a definitive guide for doing this non-trivial task. Here are few things I would like to be able to do. Please let me know if WebGizmo already supports these features (that I am somehow missing), or if they are features that might be added in the future, or if there is a detailed guide on creating one's own HTML pages for WebGizmo:
  • Display information regarding the current track being played other than just showing the cover art
  • Display buttons that allow you to jump to the next or previous tracks rather than having to fast forward to get to next track
  • Display the shuffle option for Playlists rather than just on individual albums (this is my most wanted missing feature)
  • The ability to share a playlist URL (password protected) without also exposing the rest of my files/libraries to browsing by the viewer of the playlist

Thanks in advance for your attention to my inquiry.

P.S Thank you also for making the master license offer available! I use all 3 OSs so it will come in very handy  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WebGizmo development continuing?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:39:50 am »

If you want to edit it, we'll take submissions.  Thanks for the offer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:17 pm »

Well Thanks Matt.
Can I safely assume the following answers to my actual questions?
  • Yes, JRiver team is leaving WebGizmo as is with no further improvements or embellishments to the current UI other than bug fixes to the current implementation.
  • Yes, JRiver created WebGizmo with a minimal interface with the intention that users would customize it themselves to fit their own needs.
  • No, There is no guide to modifying WebGizmo's implementation (i.e html layout and javascript api) other than viewing the source code and working from that?

Not sure why this appears to be a sore subject for some reason. I am used to receiving very helpful replies on this forum, although I don't post often.
I often recommend your product to friends and am quite surprised/puzzled at the curt dismissive tone I received from this particular inquiry.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »

I think your comments are pretty close.  I don't understand why you find that to be a sore subject or that the tone was dismissive.

If you know how to do a little programming, you can modify it.  If you don't want to do that, WebGizmo isn't going to change.

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »

Jim... I assume that what you mean is that my answers to my own questions are correct (i.e. Yes, Yes, No).
Thank you for confirming that.
My intention is/was not to be confrontational but just to get some answers to some questions I had. Which is what I understood the forums to be for.
Can you honestly say that the first response to my post answered any of my questions? really?
I will look at the code and see what I can modify to try and meet my needs.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »

You can use the Media Center Remote Control Web Application instead of WebGizmo. It uses "any web browser, on any mobile- or desktop- operating system, to control Media Center".

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »

Thanks so much for this mojave :) I will look into this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »

Can you honestly say that the first response to my post answered any of my questions? really?
I will look at the code and see what I can modify to try and meet my needs.
I think Matt thought you were interested in modifying the code and was trying to be encouraging.

Teaching people how to write html isn't part of our mission here.  If it seems daunting, then you're best off to look for another solution to the problem.

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »

mojave... will "Media Center Remote Control Web Application" allow me to listen to music on the device that I am controlling it from (i.e web browser at work). or will it only allow me to play/control music on the computer running Media Center?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »

It might be helpful to ask in that thread, where the developer will read and answer.

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »

Thank you Jim... will do.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »

mojave... will "Media Center Remote Control Web Application" allow me to listen to music on the device that I am controlling it from (i.e web browser at work). or will it only allow me to play/control music on the computer running Media Center?
I just checked the thread and it looks like it is only for remote control. Sorry.

I just load JRiver on my work computer. Your license lets you do that, but your work might not. Did you know you can load JRiver on flash drive or external hard drive as a portable install? You can then take this with you and use JRiver on another computer even if you don't have administrator rights. However, you usually can't access your home library since the company's firewall needs to be configured to forwared port 52199 to your computer. If you use a portable hard driver, you can take some of your media with your.

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 02:35:04 pm »

Thanks again mojave :) Just found out the same thing myself. I was trying to get away from having to bring my media with me or installing media center every where. I'll have to make do with WebGizmo and try and tweak it myself.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »

The DevZone in the wiki might help you. Check out the WebEngine SDK and the Web Service Interface (MCWS).

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 02:57:38 pm »

Will do mojave... thanks again for the helpful info :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:52 pm »

What about a Portable installation of MC?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up