INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is ASIO?  (Read 2495 times)

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
What is ASIO?
« on: October 08, 2003, 11:12:38 am »

Sorry to seem stupid but I have seen lots of people mention ASIO here and have no idea what it is. Does it offer advantages over standard WAV output?

I have an SB Audigy Player sound card. I have just set it up to play via Creative ASIO. In order to play my mp3's I had to set the sample rate to 48000 Hz in the DSP. Does this make a difference to the quality of the sound? These is an alternative option, SB Audigy ASIO. Is this any different from Creative ASIO? In the same DSP panel there are options to set the bitdepth and number of channels. These are set to Source bitdepth and Source number of channels. Should I be changing these?

My PC also has a Nforce motherboard. Would I be better using the Nvidia ASIO instead since this does play at the source sample rate.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is ASIO?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:18:35 pm »

openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
Re: What is ASIO?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 03:08:20 pm »

A German company named Steinberg came up with this really great audio dirver mechanism for proffensional sound production. Many very high end sound cards (Nothing that Creative Labs would even consider making) support only ASIO as the method of communication between the high end audio application and the sound card hardware. I have an RME Hammerfall in my studio and it has the ASIO built into the hardware for zero CPU overhead in playing the music.

Loosly put, it is just another way to stream the music into the sound card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up